Photo
- - - - -

Update on cap situation new GM will inherit.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

I used to defend this man. I used to believe this man "Got this"...damn. I was wrong fellas. I apologize to all those who I made fun of with my Hurney pics. 0_o

It wouldn't be so bad if the players identified as the core had performed like they were paid. And Hurney's biggest problem was poor drafting.

As to the cap, it will work out. We'll have 1 year that will be tough with lots of dead money and cheap replacements, but should be okay after. I mean, yes, $10 million sounds like a lot, but a good restructuring of Gross and Gamble can easily cover that while we trim some of the fat. The next year, we do a bit more, and so on.

#17 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,814 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

decisions shouldn't be difficult. that kind of money gets paid to your core guys. if anyone getting that kind of money isn't performing at core level or getting the playing time (for performance-based reasons) that a core guy should, find the best way to get rid of him.

if we're completely honest, this includes deangelo williams and jon beason, and CJ (based solely on the fact that he's not performing like a 13M player should.)

#18 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Any player that is supposedto get a huge roster bonuses next seaon will be gone. So who are they? Also new gm will restructure some of these deals so it will bring the cap figure down. Next seaon will be painful year we will have to keep some due to a high cap hit.

#19 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

The Huddle gets a lesson in how the Salary Cap is real finally

English, mother fugga... do you speak it??!!!

#20 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

It's ok - we can always handle the salary cap with Hurney Magi.....oh wait. nevermind.

poo it is real.

#21 KDawg004

KDawg004

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

We have some ridiculously overpaid players. I like to think our players are team players and will restructure but you never know in the NFL. Gross and Gamble need to be restructured asap. DWill's cap hit is absurd. He needs to go. We'll be fine with JStew and Tolbert carrying the load. Beason has been injured 2 seasons in a row now and has most likely lost his MLB spot. He should be seeking out the FO and offering them a restructure himself.

With the right GM we will be alright. A few restructures, cut dead weight, a good draft, and smart FA signings and we can be competitive. I know, easier said than done. But it shouldn't be hard with the consultant we're hiring and a little more than half a season to evaluate.

#22 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

I continue to laugh my balls off at every poster who thinks Hurney wasn't a capologist idiot.
Where's the "I got this" Hurney picture posters?
Never has an NFL GM been completely heisted by a player like Hurney was for 2 years by Julius Peppers.
Never.

#23 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

I remember a Huddle just a couple of years ago where doing research or finding an article of this nature would have netted the OP at least 20 pieces of "delicious" pie... That's what the huddle is here for. Instead, you get 2 pieces of not "delicious" pie for posts like these, but you get 10 for a good one liner... The Huddle much like our team has embraced a loser's mentality.

Sure, Pie really doesn't matter... Or it's just the interwebs... But I think we all like to get pie, as it kind of validates the things we say, as in people agree with us on things we say. It'd be nice to get back to the old huddle... And from what I understand... Before I got here it was even better.

Sorry if this post derails this thread, I really am... But if this post changes a few mentalities around here then perhaps it was worth it. Don't pie me for this post either... Instead give it to the guy that started this thread... We all knew the Cap was fugged... He just basically broke it down all in one spot... Sadly for all of us, it looks like this team may get a lot worse before it gets better. So much for high expectations coming into the season huh?

#24 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,502 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

I've been saying this for a while. We will lose some house hold names after this season is over

#25 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

We'll be fine with JStew and Tolbert carrying the load.

I haven't looked at Tolbert's contract, but assuming it's workable and assuming we run more of a pro-style offense next year, I'd cut Tolbert, bring in a true fullback or just use a guy like Brockel from time to time, and promote either one of the two backs we have on the practice squad. Both of them looked very workable as change of pace/relief backs.

#26 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

Used to cringe every time I would come on here and read about another record setting Hurney contract followed by comments like:

"Why should you care how much money Hurney paid "X" player? It's JR's money"

or

"I don't care how much money it takes, franchise tag "X" player, it's not our money! We can't let him go without compensation!"

This kind of cap hell is why we should all care.

#27 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hopefully, we get lucky and a few of these guys decide to retire.

Knowing our luck, it is a long shot, but one can still hope.

Maybe we'll hire a hard ass coach like Tom Coughlin to inspire some retirements.

#28 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

Any player that is supposedto get a huge roster bonuses next seaon will be gone. So who are they? Also new gm will restructure some of these deals so it will bring the cap figure down. Next seaon will be painful year we will have to keep some due to a high cap hit.

We have a few that are due roster bonuses, including Thomas Davis, Godfrey and Gross. Gross can restructure, Davis may be worth it, Godfrey not so much.

What amazed me as I checked through salaries...did you know we are paying Dwan Edwards $4 million a year? No wonder he jumped at a chance to sign here. DT's are typically paid well, but that's a lot for a guy that's middle of the road.

#29 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,661 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Charles Johnson is a Mike Rucker who's being paid like a Julius Peppers.

Chris Gamble has that lethal combo of high cap and poor health of late. Might not look good for him.

And I'm sad to say it because I still like him, but I could see a new GM drafting a young left tackle and moving on from Jordan Gross.

#30 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

Charles Johnson is a Mike Rucker who's being paid like a Julius Peppers.

Chris Gamble has that lethal combo of high cap and poor health of late. Might not look good for him.

And I'm sad to say it because I still like him, but I could see a new GM drafting a young left tackle and moving on from Jordan Gross.

[x][/url]

2/19/2009: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. 2012: $8.5 million, 2013: $8.7 million, 2014: $6.7 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent ]

Gross has a LT contract that continues to make sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com