Photo
- - - - -

Update on cap situation new GM will inherit.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

Get use to saying this remark. 'Fkin Hurney'. I know i did about 4 years ago.....

#32 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

Oh my god, this again?

Did we not learn this past offseason to leave the cap to the front office? We're going to be fine. It is extremely easy to skirt the cap.

#33 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

Damn, Hurndawg. That was some seriously irresponsible spending.

#34 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

So basically Hurney left the team financially fuged and whatever GM they hire is going to have to gut the team to have any flexibility at all to rebuild the roster.

That's just what I wanted to hear.

I almost wonder if the gut the roster part is such a bad thing. This team seems to have an ideological clash in the locker room between the "new, modern, 2012" mentality and some of the "good ole boys" left over from the previous regime.

#35 FugginPoo

FugginPoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Panthers will have to clean house, suck again next year and maybe 2-3 seasons down the road we can talk playoffs

#36 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

And to think some of you could care less if the next GM has a firm finance background.

#37 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

And to think some of you could care less if the next GM has a firm finance background.

Yep. Marty has left a big stinking pile of poop to clean up. We are going to need a cap guy and a talent guy. JR should hire the best available for each position.

#38 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

We have some ridiculously overpaid players. I like to think our players are team players and will restructure but you never know in the NFL. Gross and Gamble need to be restructured asap. DWill's cap hit is absurd. He needs to go. We'll be fine with JStew and Tolbert carrying the load. Beason has been injured 2 seasons in a row now and has most likely lost his MLB spot. He should be seeking out the FO and offering them a restructure himself.

With the right GM we will be alright. A few restructures, cut dead weight, a good draft, and smart FA signings and we can be competitive. I know, easier said than done. But it shouldn't be hard with the consultant we're hiring and a little more than half a season to evaluate.

need a new coach as well

#39 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I think the logic was going to be that Hurney would get players like Beason/Dwill/Cj to restructure in the off season and those guys wouldn't really have to worry about job security. Now there's going to be a new guy that comes in that is going to want to restructure these guys then cut or trade them to make some space. Gonna be an interesting off season.

#40 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

Keep Cam, Stew, Tolbert, Olsen, and Kalil on offense. CJ, Kuechly, Gamble, and Godfrey on defense. Get rid of everyone else if so and build the offense and defense around those guys.

#41 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,506 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

the new GM will right this ship(i hope).if teams such as the skins, eagles and others can commit big money to players year in and out and still be fine, than the panthers will be. with that being said, do realize that some guys will not be apart of this team next year.might want to start gutting guys now before the trade deadline.

#42 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,535 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

For what it's worth, the staff will have "cap experts" on staff. They did under Hurney, and before Hurney was promoted to GM he was one of said "cap experts" for the team.

Additionally, rookies are signed under a cap exception, so our draft picks won't have a huge affect on our cap.

Not to say that we don't have a mess, because we do, but it's not quite as bad as it seems.

#43 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

I haven't put a lot of thought into the cap situation for whomever is coming in as the next GM, but this article is on point and it's completely right - we will be undergoing a serious overhaul this offseason.

Common sense says once a new GM takes over, he will want to bring in his "own guys." It's only natural. But, NOW consider that Hurney was a cap-inclined GM and the next guy will be a football-inclined GM, and there are going to be some serious roster implications. SERIOUS, MAJOR implications.

In considering that, I've always been a DWill fan, but in all honesty, and this is the first time I've said this, we may need to just go ahead and trade him before the deadline. I'll always be a fan of him as a player, but I think it's best for him considering the current staff is moving in a different direction, and regardless, the next GM and coaching staff likely isn't going to see any reason to justify paying him the amount of money he is owed to be one of four running options. Let him help another team that could use him this season and get something in return while you can. Otherwise, I think the next GM is just going to come in this offseason an make him one of many cap casualties.

#44 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Keep Cam, Stew, Tolbert, Olsen, and Kalil on offense. CJ, Kuechly, Gamble, and Godfrey on defense. Get rid of everyone else if so and build the offense and defense around those guys.

...everything is so up in the air until we get a GM. A GM will want his own coach. a new coach will want his own QB...so noone will be safe, not even Cam.... looks like we will have the number one pick again so we're at least guarenteed to get one new good player...thats about it.

#45 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Good post! I agree with the OP some will have to restructure and some will not be here.At this point no one on the team deserves much more than 5 million.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.