Photo
- - - - -

Can we get a recap of Cam's presser from today?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#16 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Cam should decline doing pressers the rest of the season. He needs to "shut up" and prove he's conformed. Just let DA do press conferences for the rest of the season. Tell him to smile, and mention "losing isnt so bad".

This would be refreshing.

#17 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

this would be more refreshing for cam to do....

mainly because i think most reporters are trolls looking for a headline and clicks.

#18 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Cam's interview just got posted on panthers.com.

#19 Gabeking

Gabeking

HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'm on my phone can so it would still be nice to have a recap

#20 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

The headline on panthers.com "Newton not worried about outside opinions". Ha ha, I love it!

#21 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Person starts off with the weird question "Would you like to be more well known?" which leads to the discussion about social media. (Can't believe I just listened to Cam Newton talk about that after our GM was fired, but it's Person's fault.)

Person brings up criticism of Cam's press conferences. Cam mentions other excellent athletes like Muhammed Ali and Dennis Rodman who he says excelled at their sport but not "behind the podium." His point is basically that he's supposed to be good at football and not press conferences.

Another reporter asks if Cam wants to clear up whether he was calling out specific people with his comments last Sunday and Cam replies by saying he doesn't want to readdress Sunday's comments.

In response to a question about meeting expectations, Cam says he has not met his own expectations--mentions accuracy, knowledge of playbook, needing to trust checkdowns.

More to come...

#22 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

"If I was cussing everybody in here out, and we were 6-0. It'd be 'Cam's just being Cam'"

His point, winning cures all ills.

#23 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

"Marty Hurney & Jerry Richardson have given me an opportunity that not many people can say they have"

"I could've done more on the field of play to help Marty keep his job"

"Me knowing Marty, I have the utmost respect for a man like that, such a high character guy, moving forward I hope we do keep contact"

#24 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

In response to media criticism....

"I understand Joe person has a job to do, and I have a job to do."

"Lets be 100 percent honest. If the Carolina Panthers are winning, everybody in this room (directed at media reporters) would be smiling"

#25 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Continued from post above...

Someone asks about his being thrust into a leadership role and Cam says it's harder to lead a 1-5 team than a 5-1 team. He says "to be frank with you, we just have to play harder." He says people can say "Keep Pounding" easily without knowing what it really means.

Cam is asked about Hurney's comment about lack of leadership in locker room. Cam says there isn't enough consistent leadership and that players should take Hurney's comment as a challenge to be better.

Person asks about Cam's reaction to Hurney firing. Cam says "I got a dose of what this business is like on Monday." He says we all knew the process was going to be "up and down" but says that there are things he (Cam) could have done on the field to help Marty keep his job. Says Marty is a high-character guy. Says he supports Richardson.

On how to avoid losing spirit this year: Cam says just be more consistent and mentions 3-and-outs. Says that some of our close games shouldn't have even been close when you watch the tape. Cam says some guys have been putting in a lot of effort in film room and weightroom.

On importance of taking care of football this Sunday: Says it's a key to the game (duh). Says the Bears roster is extremely experienced and their defense is set apart by their veteran knowledge of their defensive system.

Cam is asked whether he looks to see what people are saying about him. Cam says he doesn't but that the reporters keep him informed enough with their questions. He says that if the Panthers were winning, "everyone in here would be smiling."

On whether he's spoken with Richardson since Hurney firing: He says he did, but went off on a "players need to play" tangent and didn't give any details of conversation with Richardson.

All in all, a pretty disjointed interview. Cam has some trouble expressing himself clearly, and I think people in the media need to better appreciate that when they take him to task on comments he makes. I really liked his demeanor here; he seems ready to go to me.

#26 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

joe person right off the bat "would you like to be more well known"

wtf?? get that tool out of there

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

joe person right off the bat "would you like to be more well known"

wtf?? get that tool out of there

person was looking for his peter king moment.

the guy is nothing but a headline seeking tool.