Photo
- - - - -

I was never jealous of people on welfare, until today.

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#46 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hey look, its the same welfare thread that pops up every now and then.

You know, the one where everyone bitches about the problems without offering good solutions (and if you're keeping track, a good solution would be one that doesnt cost the government more money like drug testing)

I have talked to people who would honestly have the gov spend 5 times as much on welfare as long as recipients are tested. It's not about practicality, it's about principle. Welfare is a big one where people don't care about the bottom line, they want to feel better about it.

#47 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Easy for you to say now,

Try working your ass off daily and having your family going hungry and then seeing a totally worthless piece of poo have her fridge piled to the brim with food her fatass will probably throw away later, then we will see what you would rather have happen.

Dude I struggled through some hard times in my earlier years. I worked contruction during the day and worked at Little Caesars at night. I took care of my own as i slowly worked my way up. Its true i've had some breaks along the way that really helped me out. And you know, i may have broken a few laws in doing so. I remember not having enough money for food and pay the power bill so i pulled the meter and jacked the power for a couple weeks until i had the cash to pay. I don't bejudge anyones situation because i don't know their path. Would i want everyone to be honest and truthful? Sure who wouldn't but welfare cheats pale in comparison to say tax cheats, Wall Street crooks and dirty politicians, etc. JMO

#48 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,175 posts
  • Location704

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

oh no jordans and polo shirts they sure were living high on the hog. what brands of clothing should poor people wear? this reeks of "welfare recipients aren't living in squalor therefore it's basically welfare fraud" and, again, how do you know how and when they obtained that clothing anyway?

also drug testing welfare recipients is really, really dumb. the cost of testing outpaces the money "saved" and by the way, it's unconstitutional.

oh and your "poor black mothers have a lot of kids because they're playing the athlete lottery" stuff doesn't appear to be true as poor people around the world have more kids:

Posted Image

oh and it's held true as far back as the early 1800s:

Posted Image

i guess "poor AA mothers" have been trying to have a kid go league since they were enslaved. considering the fact that you have a sociology degree, i hope it wasn't one of your sociology professors who suggested that "many AA athletes come from underprivileged, large, poor families. A theory on this is that many of the mothers believe that increasing the amount of children she has will increase or improve her odds of having a child that could develop into a star athlete this resulting in the family moving up in class"

You didn't comprehend my statement. I was analyzing a minority based on the United States as the sociocultural forum. The countries in your cute graph all have different economies, standards of living, laws, etc. Essentially, it's an apples to oranges argument.

When you apply for financial aid for college, one of the questions ask you if you have ever been convicted of selling narcotics while receiving financial aid. Is that unconstitutional? I think just the threat of drug testing recipients could be enough to sway some people.

I understand some people have grown up living off the government and expect hand outs. They're okay just getting by. I also understand some people need help and it's frustrating when you realize your hard earned tax dollars go some lazy person who just wants to reproduce and eat.

You're obviously trying to make this into a racial thing, but I can assure you AA are not the only people who are guilty of this.

#49 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,175 posts
  • Location704

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

welfare cheats pale in comparison to say tax cheats, Wall Street crooks and dirty politicians, etc. JMO

I would agree w/ this.

Welfare/gov't cheats irritate me but what is the difference than the banks and 1%ers who have essentially driven this country into the ground? These are the people who are supposed to be "responsible" and "smart" and "leaders" - but when it comes down to it they would rather screw people over if it meant another $500,000 in their pockets.

Look at Donald Trump for crying out loud.

Take money from investors. Run property into the ground. Keep investors money.

How many times has Trump filed for bankruptcy? Is it more times than he has been married?

#50 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

What about this scenario, what would you do?

Family of 4 where the mother is a stay at home mom.

Dad works full time but after all bills and gas to get to work and back the family is left with about $400 per month for clothing, food, and the occasional meal at a restaurant.

This family is on WIC, and they get around $350 worth of Bread, Milk, Cheese, Cereal, and fresh fruit per month on the WIC program. Based on the low income of the father, this family is more than eligible for the WIC benefits.

Do you take the benefits or not? Or is this "cheating the system"

#51 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Dad works full time but after all bills and gas to get to work and back the family is left with about $400 per month for clothing, food, and the occasional meal at a restaurant.

This family is on WIC, and they get around $350 worth of Bread, Milk, Cheese, Cereal, and fresh fruit per month on the WIC program. Based on the low income of the father, this family is more than eligible for the WIC benefits.

Do they have a $3000/mo mortgage and he drives a Hummer? If so, yes they're cheating the system.

If it's because he works a low wage job and can't get anything else, then no they're not cheating.

#52 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Honestly, the old me would ask why the hell are these parents having kids they can't afford. Now i try to look at the economy and think maybe at one time this man had a great job and could afford 4 kids or more only to lose his employment due to outsourcing. Also they could be a blended family like the Brady Bunch. I use to be pretty hardcore in my thinking. I will say this. My daughter will be getting married next year and i told her str8 up don't have any children until you are well enough off to support them.

#53 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,091 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Start a community outreach with another family with kids. Switch off kids during different days off so that the mothers can at least have a part time job, and bring in some type of income.

Get a second job delivering pizzas in the evenings, maybe this is the mother after the father gets home from work, or father gets home and changes clothes then goes back out.

Buy a lot of condoms.

Cut up the credit cards and get rid of anything so you can get out of debt to free up cash.

There are ways around everything, it's just much easier to just get a check from the government.....so that's what people do.

#54 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm so glad you brought up the oil industry welfare state. Have you ever actually checked the non- subsidized price on alternative fuels? The evil fossil fuel producers are subsidized at a miniscule rate as compared to your green sources, all to pull the wool over less educated folks into believing that the time is now to dump oil/gas/coal. No, I'm afraid the alternative energy lobby is closer to your "welfare queen" than any oil guy.

Well there is a lot more in the equation than just prices. Coal for instance has a lot of negatives associated with its use that can end up costing money later (this coal ash spill in Tennessee for example cost almost $1 bil to clean up). China is a great example of the costs / benefits of a huge expansion in coal production- it was cheap and helped them industrialize very quickly, but now they have to deal with the negative externalities such as polluted air in many cities.

Also when you consider how completely reliant the entire global market is on cheap, plentiful energy, there is some danger becoming heavily reliant on one energy source because a dramatic change in the supply would have a domino effect on all kind of commodity prices.

#55 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

The OP NEVER said that the person was black...yet you immediately jumped to that conclusion.

I guess that makes YOU the racist one, huh?

uhhh neither did i genius

in fact he was defending himself from accusations of racism in the OP before they ever even happened. he literally said "i know this probably sounds racist"

you are the dumbest poster, and that is quite the accomplishment here in the tinderbox

you're out of your element. back away from the thread.

#56 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

You didn't comprehend my statement. I was analyzing a minority based on the United States as the sociocultural forum. The countries in your cute graph all have different economies, standards of living, laws, etc. Essentially, it's an apples to oranges argument.

When you apply for financial aid for college, one of the questions ask you if you have ever been convicted of selling narcotics while receiving financial aid. Is that unconstitutional? I think just the threat of drug testing recipients could be enough to sway some people.

I understand some people have grown up living off the government and expect hand outs. They're okay just getting by. I also understand some people need help and it's frustrating when you realize your hard earned tax dollars go some lazy person who just wants to reproduce and eat.

You're obviously trying to make this into a racial thing, but I can assure you AA are not the only people who are guilty of this.

i "didn't comprehend your statement"? you were "analyzing" something? because iirc you said

I have a sociology degree and one semester we talked about how many AA athletes come from underprivileged, large, poor families. A theory on this is that many of the mothers believe that increasing the amount of children she has will increase or improve her odds of having a child that could develop into a star athlete this resulting in the family moving up in class. Interesting stuff with evidence to support.

this isn't analysis. this is throwing poo at the wall. MY point was that all around the world, throughout recent centuries, there has been a significant relationship between poverty and fertility. your analysis was "i took a sociology class therefore"

#57 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,175 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

i "didn't comprehend your statement"? you were "analyzing" something? because iirc you said

this isn't analysis. this is throwing poo at the wall. MY point was that all around the world, throughout recent centuries, there has been a significant relationship between poverty and fertility. your analysis was "i took a sociology class therefore"

I have a sociology degree. you don't. I am more qualified to speak on this than YOU. But by all means continue.

#58 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

They put limits on how long you are able to draw unemployment benefits. Why not do the same with welfare?

#59 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,802 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

formal training without sound methodology is dangerous

#60 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,719 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Here you go. Probably close to what OP was speaking of.

http://www.weeklysta...rty_657889.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com