Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khan/Cowher a Package Deal?

74 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah the Steelers made all those playoff appearances under Cowher.

And it must have been tuff to beat out the Browns and Bengals to get there.

2 people like this

Posted

i would love making the playoffs 66% of the time throughout cam's career, if it's record we're discussing

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think he's coming back into the NFL. Just my personal opinion though.

Posted

I've been reading this forum for three to four years now, and it seems at least one Cowher thread pops up EVERY week. Jesus, when will it end?

Posted

pretty sure the rumor is that cowher wants to take over for a team that is already in a position to win (ie 14-2 chargers that fired marty schottenheimer).

though maybe jerry richardson can do some convincing. make him think we're like the 2010 49ers - a talented team held back by coaching - instead of, you know, super garbage like the browns.

Posted

Khan is intriguing but I'm unsure about Cowher.

Doesn't it concern you guys that his name wasn't even mentioned by JR two years ago?

You gotta think too man maybe Cowher has been out of the game for too long? How many teams do u think have been turned away from Cowher? If he really wanted to coach again deep down I think he would be coaching a team right now.

Posted

khan.jpg

Can't wait for tons of pics like this posted when and if the GM were to make a mistake.

The second I read the thread title I swore I would troll the poo out of this place if no one had brought up The Shat.

Posted

Cam needs a proven, SB winning coach to save his career IMO. Not saying he will be a total flameout like the national media is purporting, but he won't play to his potential (maybe a less accurate donovan mcnabb?) if he gets the same crap coaching in his early career.

Cowher would not only bring credibility but could adapt to our roster right away. Cowher never had the stable of backs we do to go along with the talent Cam has at QB. Cam can be better than Roethlisberger, IMO.

Posted

Not saying I want Cowher, but where are you going to find better than that (1 SB win, 2 SB appearnces)?

Im on the Cowher wagon but to answer your question, Mike Holmgren. Dude has a billion Super Bowl appearances. Ok, maybe not literally but Homgren does have a TON of playoff and super bowl experience.

Like Cowher, Holmgren also had a 15 year run. In his case, there were 12 playoff appearances, 3 trips to the Super Bowl, and 1 Super Bowl win. His lifetime winning % was a bit lower than Cowher's at 59%.

This is not to make a case for Cowher, Holmgren, or anyone else. Instead, it just reinforces how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl. Here we have two great coaches with 22 opportunities (years in playoffs) resulting in just 2 Super Bowl wins.

1 person likes this

Posted

Cam needs a proven, SB winning coach to save his career IMO. Not saying he will be a total flameout like the national media is purporting, but he won't play to his potential (maybe a less accurate donovan mcnabb?) if he gets the same crap coaching in his early career.

Cowher would not only bring credibility but could adapt to our roster right away. Cowher never had the stable of backs we do to go along with the talent Cam has at QB. Cam can be better than Roethlisberger, IMO.

Like Cowher, Holmgren also had a 15 year run. In his case, there were 12 playoff appearances, 3 trips to the Super Bowl, and 1 Super Bowl win. His lifetime winning % was a bit lower than Cowher's at 59%.

This is not to make a case for Cowher, Holmgren, or anyone else. Instead, it just reinforces how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl. Here we have two great coaches with 22 opportunities (years in playoffs) resulting in just 2 Super Bowl wins.

I am all about the two above posts. I do not want to go through the whole bringing in another cooridinator or college coach to see if they can make in the NFL. I know that is the trend, but I would much rather have a proven NFL Head Coach. I like the idea of Cowher or Holmgren. I also wonder about Dungy? I have no idea if he has any interest to get back into coaching but former NFL HC is the direction I prefer.

Posted

Not sold on Cowher myself. 15 seasons with Steelers.....623 win % in reg season. Made the playoffs 10 of 15 years. 2 SB appearances 10 years apart. 1 SB win. (in year 14). Did not make the playoffs the year after winning SB. Seems like an ok coach, but not great. JR cannot wait 14 years. He needs a very good, preferably, great coach and a very good GM. Now. I want that for him too. :)

lolz, just lol.

..623 winning percentage not good enough.

And Cowher never had a QB with the talent Cam has.

Big Ben is close but we're talking his rook and soph year, not now.

It would really suck being in the Playoffs every year.

People, look at the Panthers last 10 years, please.

Posted

Just getting to the playoffs, anyone can win the SB. We'd have a good shot every year, if our offense got hot. We'd be morons not to hire Cowher or Holmgren if they were interested. We probably need to win now more than any other franchise in the NFL, save for I guess the Cowboys and Chargers