BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Posted Image

Can't wait for tons of pics like this posted when and if the GM were to make a mistake.

The second I read the thread title I swore I would troll the poo out of this place if no one had brought up The Shat.

#32 amcoolio

amcoolio

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Cam needs a proven, SB winning coach to save his career IMO. Not saying he will be a total flameout like the national media is purporting, but he won't play to his potential (maybe a less accurate donovan mcnabb?) if he gets the same crap coaching in his early career.

Cowher would not only bring credibility but could adapt to our roster right away. Cowher never had the stable of backs we do to go along with the talent Cam has at QB. Cam can be better than Roethlisberger, IMO.

#33 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Not saying I want Cowher, but where are you going to find better than that (1 SB win, 2 SB appearnces)?

Im on the Cowher wagon but to answer your question, Mike Holmgren. Dude has a billion Super Bowl appearances. Ok, maybe not literally but Homgren does have a TON of playoff and super bowl experience.

Like Cowher, Holmgren also had a 15 year run. In his case, there were 12 playoff appearances, 3 trips to the Super Bowl, and 1 Super Bowl win. His lifetime winning % was a bit lower than Cowher's at 59%.

This is not to make a case for Cowher, Holmgren, or anyone else. Instead, it just reinforces how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl. Here we have two great coaches with 22 opportunities (years in playoffs) resulting in just 2 Super Bowl wins.

#34 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Cam needs a proven, SB winning coach to save his career IMO. Not saying he will be a total flameout like the national media is purporting, but he won't play to his potential (maybe a less accurate donovan mcnabb?) if he gets the same crap coaching in his early career.

Cowher would not only bring credibility but could adapt to our roster right away. Cowher never had the stable of backs we do to go along with the talent Cam has at QB. Cam can be better than Roethlisberger, IMO.

Like Cowher, Holmgren also had a 15 year run. In his case, there were 12 playoff appearances, 3 trips to the Super Bowl, and 1 Super Bowl win. His lifetime winning % was a bit lower than Cowher's at 59%.

This is not to make a case for Cowher, Holmgren, or anyone else. Instead, it just reinforces how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl. Here we have two great coaches with 22 opportunities (years in playoffs) resulting in just 2 Super Bowl wins.

I am all about the two above posts. I do not want to go through the whole bringing in another cooridinator or college coach to see if they can make in the NFL. I know that is the trend, but I would much rather have a proven NFL Head Coach. I like the idea of Cowher or Holmgren. I also wonder about Dungy? I have no idea if he has any interest to get back into coaching but former NFL HC is the direction I prefer.

#35 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Is it 1996 Yet?_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,085 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Not sold on Cowher myself. 15 seasons with Steelers.....623 win % in reg season. Made the playoffs 10 of 15 years. 2 SB appearances 10 years apart. 1 SB win. (in year 14). Did not make the playoffs the year after winning SB. Seems like an ok coach, but not great. JR cannot wait 14 years. He needs a very good, preferably, great coach and a very good GM. Now. I want that for him too. :)

lolz, just lol.

..623 winning percentage not good enough.
And Cowher never had a QB with the talent Cam has.
Big Ben is close but we're talking his rook and soph year, not now.

It would really suck being in the Playoffs every year.
People, look at the Panthers last 10 years, please.

#36 amcoolio

amcoolio

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Just getting to the playoffs, anyone can win the SB. We'd have a good shot every year, if our offense got hot. We'd be morons not to hire Cowher or Holmgren if they were interested. We probably need to win now more than any other franchise in the NFL, save for I guess the Cowboys and Chargers

#37 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

lolz, just lol.

..623 winning percentage not good enough.
And Cowher never had a QB with the talent Cam has.
Big Ben is close but we're talking his rook and soph year, not now.

It would really suck being in the Playoffs every year.
People, look at the Panthers last 10 years, please.

Don't forget that they had the Bus there too... and after they won, the Bus retired... so... no repeat.

#38 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

Not saying I want Cowher, but where are you going to find better than that (1 SB win, 2 SB appearnces)?

In New York, New England, Green Bay, Denver and Dallas.

All have 2 or more Super Bowl Championships since 1992 (Cowher's first year)

And ironically enough, in Pittsburgh, where Mike Tomlin has already tied Cowher's Super Bowl record in 1/3 the time.

Bottom Line: I could support Khan because he's part of the system that puts all that talent on the field in Pittsburgh, But I've never been on the Cowher bandwagon, especially not removed from the Steelers system - heck, removed from all football - for over five years now,

#39 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

Khanman

#40 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

but, yeah hate this Idea. Would be just stupid and rushing into something that sounds good without putting any thought into it

#41 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Is it 1996 Yet?_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,085 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

And ironically enough, in Pittsburgh, where Mike Tomlin has already tied Cowher's Super Bowl record in 1/3 the time.

Bottom Line: I could support Khan because he's part of the system that puts all that talent on the field in Pittsburgh, But I've never been on the Cowher bandwagon, especially not removed from the Steelers system - heck, removed from all football - for over five years now,

Coughlin, employed.
Belichik, employed.
Holmgren, employed.
Shanahan, empolyed.
Jimmy Johnson, not coming back.

Yeah that's a pointless suggestion where to find it.

Cowher makes even more sense.

#42 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Most of us in this thread aren't advocating Cowher per se. What many (and include me in that group) are reacting to is the idea that what Cowher did in Pittsburg wouldn't be good enough for the Panthers. That is just crazy (sorry ladypanther!). Give me 10 out of 15 years with a chance to go to the Super Bowl and I'm all over it.

The same comments apply to Holmgren. That said, neither may be the best selection for us at this time.

#43 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

I'm more turned off of Cowher through the simple fact that he hasn't coached since 2006 than his playoff record. Six years is a very long time to be absent and just come back and try to get any success going.

#44 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,370 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

Not to take anything away from Tomlin, I think he's a fine coach, but he should get as much credit for his SB win as Gruden should for his. They both won because their predecessor put together great teams (great defenses in particular).

#45 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

I'm not a Saint

• ALL-PRO
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

I think LP was trolling the hell out of you guys and she caught everyone one of you. (notice the smiley at the end of her post.)

Also as far as the "Hire Cower" threads? They won't stop until we DO hire him. Then the "Fire Cower" threads will begin. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com