Photo
- - - - -

Khan/Cowher a Package Deal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#73 P.I.A

P.I.A

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I know Cowher was a great coach and had much success in Pitt. I just don't remember how often a coach with such pedigree has panned out after coming out of retirement and trying to rebuild somewhere else.

I agree with you man. BUT I would love for this team to be the exception.

#74 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

How many retired HoF coaches have come out of retirement and produced a Super Bowl victory?

How many retired HoF coaches have come out of retirement to coach again at all? Joe Gibbs? I can't think of any others, and it WAS the Redskins he came back to coach. The DAN SNYDER Redskins, not the same as when he coached them the first time. So I don't think there's been an extensive sampling to conclude that successful coaches can't come back to the game and be successful again.

ps. In my fact checking (dates of ownership/coaching), I came across this interesting nugget that I hadn't known:

Throughout his retirement, many NFL owners approached Gibbs hoping to lure him out of retirement, but to no avail. Some owners even offered to move his entire NASCAR racing team to their team's city if he came back. The only team he seriously considered coming back for was the Carolina Panthers when they first joined the NFL as an expansion in 1995. However he did not believe he would be able to manage his time between his race team and coaching.