Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MThornton1

Smitty...checked out?

50 posts in this topic

I have a feeling that unless he REALLY, REALLY, REALLY is blown away by the offseason overhaul, he is retiring fairly quickly after the season.

We just need to move on from Smitty, not in means like a new team, but get a new number 1 receiver. At this point Smith should be working the slot. Its just another fail on Hurney part

1 person likes this

I also get the feeling that the poor coaching and/or coaching approach is starting to weigh on him.

1 person likes this

We're 1-5, what do you expect from them.

Every game I have seen, he doesn't look like a guy that has checked out one bit. He still has the fire and trademark attitude every Sunday.

1 person likes this

Trade him? Are you all nuts? Someone has to catch Cam's passes and I don't think any of the others are ready for #1 duty. Not yet, anyways.

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if we were winning. Get real.

Besides playing football, these are people we're talking about, human beings. And they will have emotions that go on display at times. Smitty more than anybody. I can see that with his cliché remarks, he is trying very hard to not influence or feed the media. To not have the locker room focus on him but instead on what has to happen as a group to fix this team.

He has already apologized for going off on Cam in public so get over it. He and Cam have.

He has beat Mr. Tillman many times before. I expect it again on Sunday.

dropped passes

wrestling matches

penalties

yeah he looks like he's checked out

He's close. If he doesn't retire after this season, I say he has one more year after this. After that, any more time playing is going to be as a slot/situational guy who rotates in. He is losing it. Last season he looked like a young guy running around. This season, he just feels like an old man when I say him. Reminds me of all of the great receivers in the last decade or so that start to get towards the end of their careers and they just start doing things that aren't characteristic of them. For Smitty, wrestling matches, the occasional penalty, that kind of stuff, we're used to seeing. However, Smitty used to catch everything. Literally. Everything. Even passes he had no business TRYING to catch, he found a way. Now, he can't stay up on hard cuts and he drops relatively simple balls to catch. I love Smitty, my favorite Panther all-time as of right now, but we need to start looking ahead to the future. And that starts by drafting a solid WR who needs no time adjusting to the NFL......

1 person likes this

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if we were winning. Get real.

If we'd won all our games so far and he still looked like he has been AND had the stats he does...then yeah we would. Smitty hasn't looked him normal self. 6 games in and he hasn't sniffed the endzone. LaFell has looked better to date. Not saying he IS better, just that he's looked better.

I agree, I think he has had enough of this team.

Agreed. I think many of us have had enough of this sorry excuse of a team.

I like Smith and I understand his frustration but I don't share the sentiment that it is understood why he's "checked out" if in fact he has.

Captains shouldn't "check out" no matter what.