#31 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if we were winning. Get real.

Besides playing football, these are people we're talking about, human beings. And they will have emotions that go on display at times. Smitty more than anybody. I can see that with his cliché remarks, he is trying very hard to not influence or feed the media. To not have the locker room focus on him but instead on what has to happen as a group to fix this team.

He has already apologized for going off on Cam in public so get over it. He and Cam have.

He has beat Mr. Tillman many times before. I expect it again on Sunday.

#32 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

dropped passes

wrestling matches

penalties

yeah he looks like he's checked out

#33 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

He's close. If he doesn't retire after this season, I say he has one more year after this. After that, any more time playing is going to be as a slot/situational guy who rotates in. He is losing it. Last season he looked like a young guy running around. This season, he just feels like an old man when I say him. Reminds me of all of the great receivers in the last decade or so that start to get towards the end of their careers and they just start doing things that aren't characteristic of them. For Smitty, wrestling matches, the occasional penalty, that kind of stuff, we're used to seeing. However, Smitty used to catch everything. Literally. Everything. Even passes he had no business TRYING to catch, he found a way. Now, he can't stay up on hard cuts and he drops relatively simple balls to catch. I love Smitty, my favorite Panther all-time as of right now, but we need to start looking ahead to the future. And that starts by drafting a solid WR who needs no time adjusting to the NFL......

#34 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if we were winning. Get real.

If we'd won all our games so far and he still looked like he has been AND had the stats he does...then yeah we would. Smitty hasn't looked him normal self. 6 games in and he hasn't sniffed the endzone. LaFell has looked better to date. Not saying he IS better, just that he's looked better.

#35 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree, I think he has had enough of this team.

Agreed. I think many of us have had enough of this sorry excuse of a team.

#36 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I like Smith and I understand his frustration but I don't share the sentiment that it is understood why he's "checked out" if in fact he has.

Captains shouldn't "check out" no matter what.

#37 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

dropped passes

wrestling matches

penalties

yeah he looks like he's checked out

Sounds like you are describing Dez Bryant

#38 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

I don't give a crap if we were 0-6 or 6-0, Smitty damn well better not be "checking" out. I would lose a lot of respect for him and he's been my favorite Panther for ages. I hate to say it, but one reason this team struggles with leadership is that the players self-appointed as leaders have someone who doesn't walk the walk as a captain. I love seeing Smitty's work with Samaritans Feet, but he needs to realize that this team needs him to step up and be that leader he wants to be seen as, RIGHT FUGGIN' NOW.

#39 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like Smith and I understand his frustration but I don't share the sentiment that it is understood why he's "checked out" if in fact he has.

Captains shouldn't "check out" no matter what.

I don't think he's checked out. He just isn't the same physically anymore. He doesn't show the ability to completly take over a game.

#40 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Smitty mentally checked out in 2010. Doesn't sound like his head is in it.

Also, Smith got open vertically about once a game last year for a big play. He didn't getting open for those big splash plays at the same pace....I am sure a percentage is Smith.

#41 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I don't give a crap if we were 0-6 or 6-0, Smitty damn well better not be "checking" out. I would lose a lot of respect for him and he's been my favorite Panther for ages. I hate to say it, but one reason this team struggles with leadership is that the players self-appointed as leaders have someone who doesn't walk the walk as a captain. I love seeing Smitty's work with Samaritans Feet, but he needs to realize that this team needs him to step up and be that leader he wants to be seen as, RIGHT FUGGIN' NOW.

Smith checked out in 2010.....if you want to argue he didn't, okay. But he wasn't a leader on that 2010 squad.

#42 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Smith checked out in 2010.....if you want to argue he didn't, okay. But he wasn't a leader on that 2010 squad.

I remember, and sadly that seems to be the case again. Smitty may have resented the implication that Cam "rejuvenated" his career last season but the truth is he plays much more effectively when he's tuned in. he needs to stay tuned in, this league isn't built for fair-weather players.

#43 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Smitty mentally checked out in 2010. Doesn't sound like his head is in it.

Also, Smith got open vertically about once a game last year for a big play. He didn't getting open for those big splash plays at the same pace....I am sure a percentage is Smith.

That is part of the sophmore slump Cam is going through. Defenses are taking away those deep throws. Add a spy in the red zone and you minimize 2 of Cams biggest positives from last season.

Smith has a couple of good years left but I am not sure a new GM will want to put up with some of his BS. It would probably be wise to trade him and start fresh. Get Cam a younger stud reciever with less emotional baggage.

#44 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

The frustration level over this season has hit new lows. Now it is Smitty's turn to incur the wrath of the unhappy.

Trade Smitty. Really?

"I bet he retires" Please

He is losing it, let him go. C'mon man.

It would be humorous, if it weren't so sad.

Fans. You gotta love em.

#45 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

That is part of the sophmore slump Cam is going through. Defenses are taking away those deep throws. Add a spy in the red zone and you minimize 2 of Cams biggest positives from last season.

Smith has a couple of good years left but I am not sure a new GM will want to put up with some of his BS. It would probably be wise to trade him and start fresh. Get Cam a younger stud reciever with less emotional baggage.

People aren't doing anything new to Steve Smith....

Smitty is aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com