Photo
- - - - -

panthers offense shifting to power running game...

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

If Rivera calls that option play more than once, he should be fired on the spot and made to find his own way back to wherever he lives.

It is ludicrious that someone says 'its the process' 'it's execution' does not change something that is not working and does not understand what his players strengths are.

For the sake of the fans and the team, I hope they win games and look like a pro team. Rivera going at the end of year would not break my heart. Never liked the hiring.

#47 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

the phrase "too little, too late" comes to mind

#48 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Shouldn't have came out with this if true. Should've surprized chicago with it.

Exactly what I was thinking while reading the OP. Have Chicago sitting in the gameplan room, laughing histerically about defended the read option. Then go apeshit on them 2008 style.

#49 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Uhh, a successful power running game isn't really about surprises, but more about....power.....

#50 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Uhh, a successful power running game isn't really about surprises, but more about....power.....

But why let'em know you're switching it up? Just let them think we're coming out with the same ol' game plan...then pow! They get a whole new offense to deal with.

#51 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

What's really killing us is that one style of read option, where cam has to decide whether to hand it off or run it himself. That makes no sense, either way the defender is in position to tackle either of the two options who are right beside each other. The ones where he either pitches or keeps it or the ones where he hands off or throws work as often as they don't (although they need to be cut back a little too). But they should never run one of the first type I mentioned ever again.

#52 MtnJax

MtnJax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

What's really killing us is that one style of read option, where cam has to decide whether to hand it off or run it himself. That makes no sense, either way the defender is in position to tackle either of the two options who are right beside each other. The ones where he either pitches or keeps it or the ones where he hands off or throws work as often as they don't (although they need to be cut back a little too). But they should never run one of the first type I mentioned ever again.

The first type you listed they are truthfully running it wrong. If they re going to be running those option plays, Cam needs to running to the opposite side of the RB if he keeps, not to the same side

#53 doghead28

doghead28

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

The speed in the NFL is just to quick for read option to be consistently successful. The panthers are wasting the talent they spent in excess of 70 million dollars on. The Panthers don't need Williams and Stewart it they continue to run the offense this way. I hope they do put Cam under center and start forcing the ball down the D's throat. I will believe it when I see it.

#54 P.I.A

P.I.A

• ALL-PRO
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFinally Home!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

First 6 six games:
1st down- backwards pitch statue of liberty Right tackle sneak pass- -2 yards
2nd down- Pistol formation tight end pitch- 2 yards
3rd down- deep pass after 30 seconds of Cam scrambling- 0 yards
4th down- punt (don't even think about going for it)

Days before week 7 SUDDENLY Chud jumps out of bed exclaiming "Holy crap guys! I have come up with an unstoppable offense.... Now hear me out, we place Cam underneath the center. He snaps the ball and gives it to one of 3 running backs. They run with said ball, forward...... IM A GENIUS"... Ron rivera: "Brilliant!!!!

http://www.youtube.c...ed/3DPKf7y1F-Q"

If Chud had realized that most NFL running backs do well by running forward, our 15 running backs might have 550 yards and 6 TDs each. Its sad that our coaching staff continued to beat a dead dog even after our 5 loses. Save the gadgetry for when we are up by 21 and Cam isn't pressured on every step. Maybe then the mistakes would be cut down on. Run the rock down their throats and let cam hit those 50 yd deep passes off the play action. simple.

#55 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Step 1 - Power runs out of the I formation

Step 2 - Have Cam rollout from time to time

I know this is cutting edge revolutionary stuff, but hey, that's the kind of guy I am.

#56 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,760 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

I like the zone read offense, but not as the mainstay of the offense. Like the wildcat, use it in certain situations to catch defenses off guard.

Here's what I don't understand though, we finished last year 7th overall- why make such a drastic change? Also, DLo excelled in our prior power running schemes, so why do they think he can't be "featured" or used more now?

I'm a big proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. I understand the need to evolve and stay ahead of D's, but to change your core philosophy is a little mind boggling.

#57 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

We dont even really know if our guards can succeed in this scheme. Hell, we havent done it all season.

#58 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

11-5

Get behind this team, have faith in our players and coaches... it could change in an instant.

#59 gakonline

gakonline

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

The Read Option has worked against two teams this year, the Saints and the Falcons. I am amazed in the other games they did not dump the read option after the first 5 failed attempts for negative yards.

#60 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I agree it's a smart move to run a not so stupid offense but what will you guys say if we do this and it doesn't work at all?

Depends on what you mean by doesn't work at all. If defenses are forced to account for DWill and JStew in the running game, that will undoubtedly open holes for Cam in the passing game with play action and more men brought up into the box.

There is no way we rush 25-30 times a game (with our RBs in a power running formation) and don't get at least 100 yds between them. I actually like Hurney locking these guys up for the long haul. I think it was the right thing to do to help our young QB develop without having to absorb all the offensive pressure. Both Williams and Stewart are big play backs that will do just that s if given a real opportunity. Power running also helps the oline get going by allowing them to be physical and to aggressively get after defenders.

So even if we come out and rush 10 times for 30 yards, you stick with it. Because the impact will be seen in the passing game, and defensively as the clock is controlled and those guys can get breathers. Because we use 2 backs, they'll break one eventually. The defense doesn't switch out as often as they do, so they're usually a lot fresher than the players trying to stop them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com