23 replies to this topic

#1 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Moving from the start. If I remember correctly in the past, when we have thrown out of a conventional form Cam actually HAS passed better from say an I then from shotgun. Maybe its our lack of TE #2 that we havent been passing much out if a base but this Sunday were supposed to see a new offense. A power run game, which in turn for the first time of the season will legitimately open up PA. Im going to bet, Chud willing. If he actually wants to keep his job. The offensive stats from week 1 to Dallas will be 100% better from now on. Cam will play better and we will win games because we open up pass by the run and not put as much pressure on Cam by having no effective run game. The no effective run game changes this week, Stew is elite.

#2 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

So, you read the article that stated Cam has taken 66% of his snaps in shotgun too?

Awesome.

#3 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Basically. In theory, it should work. You should utilize Cam's abilities, not rely on them. By only utilizing Cam, the RBs will be able to be utilized, as well as everybody else on offense.

Of course, that's the theory. It has to be practiced by Chud, and that is where my worry is.

#4 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Worked last season.

#5 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,020 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

As bad as running the read option in the first 6 games was, anybody else think that moving to the power running style will only be as equally as bad considering how poo our offensive line is. I'm no football expert, but how do you run a power running game without an offensive line, especially with the worst guards in the league? Not only that, but we don't have a second tight end that can block. Something tells me that this will just backfire as well.

#6 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

Worked last season.

I can only hope that is how succinct the chat was between Rivera and Chud. I can see it now.

Rivera: Hey, Chud, I have an idea. Remember last season when we were the most efficient running attack in the game, and with that, Cam was the most explosive rookie QB to ever play the game?

Chud: Yeah. What of it?

Rivera: Well, me and the guys were talking, we think it'll work THIS season as well.

Chud: What makes you say that?

Rivera: Worked last season.

Nah, probably not. Probably just Stoic Ron and Chud saying "what do you think of a flea-flicker, to an end around, and then throw it back across field to Lafell on a screen?"

#7 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

So, you read the article that stated Cam has taken 66% of his snaps in shotgun too?

Awesome.

Oh, it's higher than that. In the 3 games I've charted (Vs Atlanta, Seattle and Dallas), the ratio was 78.9% shotgun to 21.1% under center.

I believe the 66% number cited was % of runs out of the shotgun, although I'm pretty sure that number is low as well.

Edit: Just found my data on the Tampa game. Adding that in (along with Atlanta, Seattle and Dallas) the result is 224 plays total, with 180 out of the shotgun, for a whopping 80.4%.

#8 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

As bad as running the read option in the first 6 games was, anybody else think that moving to the power running style will only be as equally as bad considering how poo our offensive line is. I'm no football expert, but how do you run a power running game without an offensive line, especially with the worst guards in the league?

The read option is dependent on a few things. Mainly, the OL picking up their assignments. Didn't always happen. You have to consider, the back is getting the ball five yards deep rather than 2-3 yards deep like they would on a hand-off when the QB is under center. Then, you have to consider the read-man being unblocked and how athletic he is, as well as any potential defender stacked behind him and how he plays it. The read option can work, but it has to be sprinkled in. This has been beaten over and over on this board. We can't run it more than 5 times a game or so, preferably less. You can still utilize Cam's running threat with draws (which are usually pretty effective for 5-7 yards, and a lot of that is just his sheer size).

Our OL is a concern, but the blocking schemes for a power running game are vastly simpler than the option. Plus, Amini was brought in for his athleticism as a pulling guard. With a power running game, he'll be doing a lot of it. That gives me some hope.

#9 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Our OL blocking has sucked because they're having to hold the blocks longer waiting on Cam to decide where the ball is going. There's also time lost running from the gun as compared to out of a regular set under center.

Silotolu is the only real difference on our line...before Kalil went down anyway.

#10 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Our O line will be a big factor but I think our line can still be functional, how many times was 99 overall in Madden DE Demarcus Wares name called last sunday? One sack and that was at the end right? Whenever you lose your all pro center that hurts but I think the line will not inhibit the run game.

#11 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Our OL blocking has sucked because they're having to hold the blocks longer waiting on Cam to decide where the ball is going. There's also time lost running from the gun as compared to out of a regular set under center.

Silotolu is the only real difference on our line...before Kalil went down anyway.

And to add just a bit to that, it's not like we're the only team in the league that's ever had a struggling O-line. In addition to committing more to the run, we can roll Cam out to pass (something we never, ever do by design), add in more screens, and run more play action.

Remember Chicago's O-line last year? They were absolutely pathetic early in the year until Martz was forced to start running more conventional schemes. The only reason they didn't make the playoffs was late season injuries.

#12 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

And to add just a bit to that, it's not like we're the only team in the league that's ever had a struggling O-line. In addition to committing more to the run, we can roll Cam out to pass (something we never, ever do by design), add in more screens, and run more play action.

Remember Chicago's O-line last year? They were absolutely pathetic early in the year until Martz was forced to start running more conventional schemes. The only reason they didn't make the playoffs was late season injuries.

The Seattle game, the pass thrown into the dirt by Cam, wasnt that a designed roll out? Or was he forced out of the pocket? I forget

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

I believe that was a designed run/pass option.

#14 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

I just dont wana lose Cam. idc how long it will take i just cant lose the guy

#15 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, designed roll out with the routes doubling as down-field blocking if Cam elected to run. Guy came off the edge at a good angle, prevented any real shot at the run and Cam just couldn't get the ball to (I think it was, anyway) Hartsock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com