Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now that Hurney's been fired, have you re-evaluated how you felt about him?

42 posts in this topic

Posted

My take on Hurney:

Drafting: Pathetic (especially the trade up for future higher picks)

Signing players with expiring rookie deals: Bad

Finding contributing veteran trades for lower picks: Mediocre

Cap managment: Excellent

All in all: On his incompetence level.

Posted

7-9

11-5

7-9

11-5

8-8

7-9

12-4

3X NFC South Champions, 2 NFC Championship Games, Super Bowl 38 loss...

That is what Hurney made of the 1-15 team he inherited in 7 seasons. He did a damn good job.

JR killed Hurney when he gutted the team after '09. Nobody would recover from the mess JR forced into his lap. JR threw away 3-4 years of our teams future over pennies fighting for the NFL brass. Hurney should of been let go with Fox.

Hurney has been a dead man walking since he was forced to gut the roster in '09.

2 people like this

Posted

For me it'll depend on how the team does without him, otherwise I think it's pretty hard to judge.

FWIW, I still don't think talent is the reason we suck right now and that's his main job.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was always pretty meh on Hurney, but, in retrospect, he should have been fired for the crazy ass contracts that he signed off on. No way the Steelers or Pats put themselves in such crazy situations.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have re-evaluated it and came to the same conclusion, he sucked ass.

Posted

I have no regrets or love lost for Hurney. His god awful drafting, hos god awful huge contracts and him avoiding Free Agency like its AIDS. We should have signed Vincent Jackson, we should have traded a late round pick for Asante Samuel, we should have traded for Brandon Marshall. That is what honestly bothered me the most is his complete unwillingness to bring in outside help via FA or trade. And no low level guys like Tolbert and Nakumara count. Im talking blue chip players like Vjax. It feels so good we finally get a new GM and HOPEFULLY we can look forward to Free Agency now when it opens every year.

Posted

This man tried to trade up for Jimmy Clausen. B/c teams felt sorry for him, they said no.

1 person likes this

Posted

Everyone knows I was a Hurney supporter. He lost me once I realized how shitty this coaching staff is.

Posted

Hurney??............he's the nice guy, happy, lets all find the sunshine.........village idiot. Before and after firing.....

.......I couldn't stand to listen to his banter on the radio like PR director for a retirement home where everyone is dropping dead from the lack of attention and he's all happy and fine.

Let's look at his professional experience prior to coming to the Panthers shall we?

A small gig as a GM assistant with the all mightly Chargers.......then to newspaper beat writer covering the Redskins...............then to the Panthers as a GM?

Glad he's gone........now get rid of the rest of the village idiots coaching this team.........

Let me give you an example of these Einsteins running this team

First a fact...............we have a struggling offensive line........injuries certainly have contributed to this.

But yet we take a fly weight back like Williams and telegraph to a defense a delayed option handoff and send him off tackle expecting to trap a D lineman and gain yards? How many times to we try this play and it fails?

BTW.......what happens to Williams when he collides with a defender?......"Down goes Fraiser".......Down goes Fraiser!" baby............

Williams when he left college had the all time record in all purpose yards.........the all time NCAA record.

That is from lots of play action, short passing and other plays that get him in the open to gain yards.................yet we devise more plays for him like he is Jerome Bettis............WTF Chud!

Even Stewart can't fit that role if the line is struggling............

The Panthers are bad because the oline is bad and the coaching staff.

That is the problem.................

Posted

He could never put together consistent winning teams, that is what bothered me more than anything.

Never really tried to handle the QB issue until Cam....he gave a few shots at it, but never really stuck his nose out.

The "team" that he wanted to build was exactly opposite from what I would have preferred to do.

Loved his RB's and LB's way to much in today's NFL.

Couldn't find WR's or DT's outside of what he inherited from the previous regime. (Smith Jenkins)

Always were up against a cap wall, but didn't have the record for that type of spending.

Didn't follow a plan, seemed to grasp at straws. We are not a power running team, but have highly paid runners. We are trying to be a Coryell style passing attack without the pieces. Acted like he wanted a strong D, but didn't draft the correct pieces to make us so.

Outside of Cam, drafted 2 RB's, 3 LB's, an undersized DE from FSU, and a OL with work ethic issues over the past 6 or so drafts in the first round.

Too many holes on the roster to pay some of the most recent contracts.

2 people like this

Posted

I will hate him every day of my life until the last one of the contracts he gave out expires.

Posted

Hurney

Bad drafts

Ignored free agency

Bad trades

Bad contracts

Thank god he was let go

2 people like this