75 replies to this topic

#1 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,443 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

As you all know Lombardi was an NFL Executive for a long time and probably has several connections. Obviously we have no idea if its true or not but here it is:

Speaking of Carolina, after talking to sources inside the Panthers building, it appears head coach Ron Rivera must rapidly turn this season around to save his job for 2013.

I'm told owner Jerry Richardson wanted former GM Marty Hurney to make some moves, and when Hurney was reluctant, it cost him his own job. Hurney saved a few people with his actions, but if the Panthers don't start winning, there will be no one left to save the coaching staff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000085636/article/minnesota-vikings-christian-ponder-coming-back-to-earth

#2 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

sounds about right...only thing that could get Hurney fired was a beef with Big Cat and thats just what happened. I still think Hurney was not a bad GM just not a Great one

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,817 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

The obvious topic of speculation will be 'who did he want gone?'

#4 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

WOW.

Hurney fell on the sword for Rivera? Horrible decision. Admirable, but Rivera was going to be gone regardless... Why not fire him and save your own job? I bet JR wanted it done because players have already complained to him about Rivera.

#5 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yeah I totally believe that Mr.Richardson basically told Rivera that the team is his for the rest of the year to do as he wants and that if they improve and get better he will stick around if not adios.

#6 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hurney is a fallguy. He stayed falling on swords them last few days here. You could hear it in the stuff he said "I am responsible for this team being 1-5, for not being prepared, for the injuries, blah". Dude was taking blame for everything, even stuff he aint control.

#7 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Doesn't make since to me because if JR "wanted someone gone" he would have fired them right after firing Hurney right?

#8 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,521 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

armanti

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,817 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Maybe I should go back and update that profile of Mike Zimmer.

#10 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

WOW.

Hurney fell on the sword for Rivera? Horrible decision. Admirable, but Rivera was going to be gone regardless... Why not fire him and save your own job? I bet JR wanted it done because players have already complained to him about Rivera.

He did not say that and I seriously doubt it is Rivera. If Richardson wanted the coach gone he'd simply be gone and he surely would not still be there now. Think about it.

I would assume it is player related.

Now, this certainly doesn't support the idea that Richardson does not care. He wants things to happen and Hurney's loyalty paved the way for his own dismissal.

#11 nobody

nobody

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

- kinda may have bought time because if they fired 2 many fo guys at one time the team couldnt function (who reports to who and all that) so all huney did was buy time for em until they have a plan for the rest of management to react and run the team.

#12 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

They all need to be fired...scouting, staff, GM etc...

New direction. New blood.

#13 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'd be pissed too, if i spent 170+ million on players on two years and seeing them midshandled like they are, I'd fire everyone who was involved and start over from the ground up

#14 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,906 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Probably the most obvious....I'd say Chud or Rivera.

Or

He wanted Cam to have help that suited our scheme and he wanted Hurney to part with some of his recently overpaid core

#15 GolfRasta

GolfRasta

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationPinehurst

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I got this feeling when watching the Rivera presser. I wonder what JR's goal for him is...Finish 8-8 and you can keep your job? That's not gonna happen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.