Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dpantherman

Mike Lombardi has 'inside info' on why Hurney was fired

76 posts in this topic

My fear is JR may now be telling Rivera who he should play and not play, and what kind of scheme they should run.

Short term it's fine, especially regarding the scheme. That's assuming JR wants what we all want (getting back to a power run game and more balance on O). Long term, it may come back to bite him. Top notch GM's and coaches will be less likely to come here if they feel there is a meddling owner. It would have been better to have just fired the coaches rather than use them as puppets for the rest of the year, with JR pulling the strings. I don't know how JR could have brought in a new staff mid-year, so he may have just jumped the gun on this.

A central flaw in Hurney's management style was always his attachment to the people in the organization, both players and coaches. I've heard from an ex-player's mouth that he would get teary and sometimes outright cry when he had to cut long time players. Fox loved playing his veterans, and Hurney loved re-signing them.

I think he did a pretty good job for us for a long time, but I also think it's been pretty clear over the past few years that he's been getting a lot of specific directions, and he probably hasn't been happy with all of them. I think it will be very interesting to see if he gets another job quickly, like Fox did, and if the next GM also behaves like he's getting specific directions.

Why would it be about personnel moves pertaining to players when we're already 6 games into the season? There's no one out there to make us any better.

maybe there is. it's not like we've got great players at every position. the team hasn't given up yet and some players that the team were taking a shot on probably didn't pan out like they hoped so maybe they try someone else.

most players on the team are easily replaceable by any number of guys in FA. why not make a few changes and see if you can make things better.

there is a point to making adjustments to the roster at this point in time if you're a team hoping that you can still make a go of it and have a winning season. what's the harm in trying?

Because Hurney has been attempting to build a team for 10 years and has consistently made it worse and this year's talent gaps are made that much more evident with the expectations that we had.

It being about Rivera doesn't make a bit of sense.

It could've been about Chud.

I just don't think JR suddenly realized 6 games in that we needed to sign FAs to be successful. He's saw Hurney's approach for 10 years. So 6 games in this year he decides it wasn't working? LOL.

maybe there is. it's not like we've got great players at every position. the team hasn't given up yet and some players that the team were taking a shot on probably didn't pan out like they hoped so maybe they try someone else.

most players on the team are easily replaceable by any number of guys in FA. why not make a few changes and see if you can make things better.

there is a point to making adjustments to the roster at this point in time if you're a team hoping that you can still make a go of it and have a winning season. what's the harm in trying?

Ehh, I can't really get behind that this year. Now, if you're talking about guys we let get by before the season like Jacoby Jones, then I'd get it. But guys are street FAs now for a reason, other teams aren't signing them either.

I could see if JR was telling him to make trades, but I just don't think FAs was his problem.

What happened last Sunday is pitch perfect picture of whats wrong with this team. Last week our 80 mill RBs didnt do jack crap. Meanwhile Vincent Jackson had 170 yds receiving and 2 TDs. It goes back to Hurney avoiding FA like the plauge. If we signed VJax with Cam throwing him the ball, we would be in so much better shape.

Plax to carolina 2013?

I'm with rayzor... I think it was about personnel moves JR wanted Hurney to make that would have deviated from "the plan". Hurney refused and JR gave him a pink slip.

Most likely its chud job. The offense is the only thing different from last year that could be changed in the season but hasnt ...... until hurney was fired. I havent seen any other changes that would impact the team on the w-L so far.

its just a mess all the way around. the offense is anemic and predictable and the d, while playing much better, has so little talent.

i expect a totally brand new coaching staff next year adn if we can hit a homerun with a GM then we might do better.

personally i am stunned the team as a WHOLE has regressed this bad.

The real reason he was fired is he has made shitty deals, horrible trades, and even worse draft picks the past decade.

What happened last Sunday is pitch perfect picture of whats wrong with this team. Last week our 80 mill RBs didnt do jack crap. Meanwhile Vincent Jackson had 170 yds receiving and 2 TDs. It goes back to Hurney avoiding FA like the plauge. If we signed VJax with Cam throwing him the ball, we would be in so much better shape.

PTrain, I actually agree with you about this one. Seeing our expensive backfield underutilized in a crappy scheme made me cringe as I kept seeing VinnyJ stats flash across the ticker. Gross mismanagement of the cap and an inexplicable fear of free agency. VinnyJ was a pipedream anyway, but there is no denying that the DWill money could have gone to better use. I get we needed him to help Cam in his rookie year, or at least I can understand the logic behind that, but he should have been franchised while Kalil got the immediate long term contract. But hindsight, right?