• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

SCULLY: Yet, it all takes money. You know the numbers, $1.7 trillion debt, a national deficit of $11 trillion. At what point do we run out of money?

OBAMA: Well, we are out of money now. We are operating in deep deficits, not caused by any decisions we've made on health care so far. This is a consequence of the crisis that we've seen and in fact our failure to make some good decisions on health care over the last several decades.
So we've got a short-term problem, which is we had to spend a lot of money to salvage our financial system, we had to deal with the auto companies, a huge recession which drains tax revenue at the same time it's putting more pressure on governments to provide unemployment insurance or make sure that food stamps are available for people who have been laid off.
So we have a short-term problem and we also have a long-term problem. The short-term problem is dwarfed by the long-term problem. And the long-term problem is Medicaid and Medicare. If we don't reduce long-term health care inflation substantially, we can't get control of the deficit.

Full C-Span transcript:

http://www.c-span.or...mainterview.pdf

#2 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

This is a consequence of the crisis that we've seen and in fact our failure to make some good decisions on health care over the last several decades.
So we've got a short-term problem, which is we had to spend a lot of money to salvage our financial system, we had to deal with the auto companies, a huge recession which drains tax revenue at the same time it's putting more pressure on governments to provide unemployment insurance or make sure that food stamps are available for people who have been laid off.

The truth

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,753 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Did Mulder ask any questions?

#4 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:32 AM

Well how long did you really think it'd take him to give it all away?

#5 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:40 AM

Quicker than it takes a Republican to spend it on a couple of Wars.

#6 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,565 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

So what's the deal with giving GM $4 billion more just recently? I mean I get the fact that they're trying to keep these huge companies afloat because of the ripple effect of them failing would have on large segments of our economy (parts suppliers, dealers, labor, etc.) but why give them so much more money now when it seems fairly clear that they will have to go into bankruptcy anyway? I'll admit I don't understand it.

#7 Speed

Speed

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

What about the 4 Billion to ACORN?

#8 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

What about the 4 Billion to ACORN?

Do you know how many Obama voters ACORN employs?

#9 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

And there are some people that believe all this spending is going to work. The first condition the IMF and Worldbank put on developing countries is GET SPENDING UNDER CONTROL. The reason? it works. This spending is nuts.

Edited by Htar, 24 May 2009 - 07:26 AM.

#10 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

So what's the deal with giving GM $4 billion more just recently? I mean I get the fact that they're trying to keep these huge companies afloat because of the ripple effect of them failing would have on large segments of our economy (parts suppliers, dealers, labor, etc.) but why give them so much more money now when it seems fairly clear that they will have to go into bankruptcy anyway? I'll admit I don't understand it.

I don't either. It's like hair plugs. What's the point? You're going bald!

#11 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

The funny part is the Bush admin and the Obama admin is the same with our rescission. Throw money at it and hope it goes away.

#12 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

good thread, poster Ronald Reagan

#13 2plankingpanther

2plankingpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

the Gov't should quit bailing out these mismanaged businesses and also legalize pot and tax it.Also quit building so many prisons,let the nonviolent prisoners who are locked up for a dimebag free.It cost $ to keep em locked up.

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,136 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

Of course we're out of money...Bush was an idiot spending the way he did, but look what he spent HIS on. Katrina...two wars...you know...those sorts of things. Obama has spent what in his first 100?

And guys...the weed heads...seriously...stick to finding grim reapers in rock posters, weed delegalization ain't fixing these deficits.

#15 2plankingpanther

2plankingpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

Of course we're out of money...Bush was an idiot spending the way he did, but look what he spent HIS on. Katrina...two wars...you know...those sorts of things. Obama has spent what in his first 100?

And guys...the weed heads...seriously...stick to finding grim reapers in rock posters, weed delegalization ain't fixing these deficits.

So you want the gov't to continue throwing $ and resources at keeping pot illegal.Seems like most people are in prison becaude of it,what a waste of $!No legalizing pot won't erase the deficit but it won't hurt and it probably will put a dent in it.gov't waste too much $ on stupid poo,the drug war,bailing out huge corporations,sending $ to countries that hate us,etc!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.