• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Man, you are a big dook homer, I thought you were a state fan. Again, K is an all-timer, but he is not the greatest. He has a losing record against DES and Roy - why can't he beat those guys if he's so great...Don't let that fact cloud your judgement.

He is not a Duke homer, he is a knowledgable college basketball fan. You have got to let it go sometimes man, you would get much more respect from people on this board if you were not constantly comparing everything to Duke and how much they suck or what is wrong with them.

As for the class of 2010, Unicar, I agree with you, Duke has a chance at a great one, obviously Harrison is the key. It seems like he is destined for Duke, but stranger things have happened and I am not counting on him until it comes from his mouth. But just as important as Harrison Barnes is, getting one of those three top guards is just as important IMO. Duke has to have a PG that can push the tempo and get them back to how they played late 90's early 2000's.

#17 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

He is not a Duke homer, he is a knowledgable college basketball fan. You have got to let it go sometimes man, you would get much more respect from people on this board if you were not constantly comparing everything to Duke and how much they suck or what is wrong with them.

As for the class of 2010, Unicar, I agree with you, Duke has a chance at a great one, obviously Harrison is the key. It seems like he is destined for Duke, but stranger things have happened and I am not counting on him until it comes from his mouth. But just as important as Harrison Barnes is, getting one of those three top guards is just as important IMO. Duke has to have a PG that can push the tempo and get them back to how they played late 90's early 2000's.

Actually it was Unicar that started K will go out as the greatest nonsense...I merely pointed out that he seems to be basing everything on Championships when that is not the be all end all measurement...If Roy Williams wins two more, three more, he's not the greatest of all time.

#18 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Actually it was Unicar that started K will go out as the greatest nonsense...I merely pointed out that he seems to be basing everything on Championships when that is not the be all end all measurement...If Roy Williams wins two more, three more, he's not the greatest of all time.

I mean I'm not getting into this argument again. If you asked every college basketball fan in the country who they would want coaching their group of talent for next year among the top 5 coaches in the game today...K would win without a doubt. The other guys are great recruiters but they also don't have to recruit at Duke. His strategy is more than just "lets run the other team out of the building with our athleticism" like so many others do. You could come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that he was the one chosen to run USA basketball...Where was Roy in that conversation??

#19 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

I mean I'm not getting into this argument again. If you asked every college basketball fan in the country who they would want coaching their group of talent for next year among the top 5 coaches in the game today...K would win without a doubt. The other guys are great recruiters but they also don't have to recruit at Duke. His strategy is more than just "lets run the other team out of the building with our athleticism" like so many others do. You could come to this conclusion based solely on the fact that he was the one chosen to run USA basketball...Where was Roy in that conversation??

Roy was going to coach Team USA, hell Team USA wanted Roy to be it's coach since Team USA was a little kid. Team USA was a Roy fan growing up, but the problem was Team USA knew Brian Clifton and we all know Roy doesn't deal with Brian Clifton, even though Team USA wanted Roy all along.

#20 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Roy was asked about the USA gig...He declined. And you speak of K as if he doesn't have athletes and talent....BWAHHHHHHHAA! He probably has as many, if not more, burger boys every year than anybody else in the country. Yeah, that Jayson Williams led 2001 team wasn't very athletic, either! How in the world did they manage to win back-to-back titles with that un-athletic Grant Hill? Give me a break, dude. K is a great coach, but he's not the best in this state at present, and he wasn't the best in this state when DES patrolled the sideline at UNC.

#21 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

Roy was asked about the USA gig...He declined. And you speak of K as if he doesn't have athletes and talent....BWAHHHHHHHAA! He probably has as many, if not more, burger boys every year than anybody else in the country. Yeah, that Jayson Williams led 2001 team wasn't very athletic, either! How in the world did they manage to win back-to-back titles with that un-athletic Grant Hill? Give me a break, dude. K is a great coach, but he's not the best in this state at present, and he wasn't the best in this state when DES patrolled the sideline at UNC.

WOW...You honestly believe Carolina is the end all, be all of college basketball don't you?

Please show me where USA basketball prefered Roy Williams to coach the Olympic team over Coach K, but Roy just wasn't interested. A link would be great.

Edited by Luc21, 02 June 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#22 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

WOW...You honestly believe Carolina is the end all, be all of college basketball don't you?

Please show me where USA basketball prefered Roy Williams to coach the Olympic team over Coach K, but Roy just wasn't interested. A like would be great.

It came up around the time K accepted the job, It was all over the place, were you out of the country? And yeah, UNC is the be all end all...Name a cleaner more successful program.

#23 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Agree to disagree...

But asked nation wide who the better overall coach is...Its K.

#24 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

It came up around the time K accepted the job, It was all over the place, were you out of the country? And yeah, UNC is the be all end all...Name a cleaner more successful program.

CLEANER!!!?!?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH THAT IS A JOKE! Brush up on your recruiting my friend Roy Williams commits about 10 secondary violations a year and has done so since his days at KU.

#25 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I think you're making stuff up again. You seem to be the only one who remembers this. Is your homerism for unc clouding your thoughts again? I know you hate to see Coach K bring the gold back to the US but that doesn't mean you should make stuff up. Didn't he assist Larry Brown on the bronze winning USA team?

#26 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

I think you're making stuff up again. You seem to be the only one who remembers this. Is your homerism for unc clouding your thoughts again? I know you hate to see Coach K bring the gold back to the US but that doesn't mean you should make stuff up. Didn't he assist Larry Brown on the bronze winning USA team?

Yeah...Williams was on the Brown squad that was absolutely terrible and an embarrassment to the US. K has been the coach of the US team since October of 2005. I searched for some stuff on Roy being asked to coach the team but couldn't find it. If Htar wants to provide a link that would be helpful..

#27 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, K has been the USA coach since 2005, Larry Brown and his staff assembled right before the qualifiers...Not too mention that the NBA strongly encouraged the best to play in the last games and we still had our scares. OH yeah, didn't K's team get beat in the World Championship games in Toronto and have to settle for Bronze?

Unicar, man you are tremendous duke fan - way to run to the devil's aid. And you claim to be a wulfie? it's either ABC'er or dook fan, which is it...Tell ya what, you provide me the link of all those Roy NCAA violations and I'll hunt down that link.

#28 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

Agree to disagree...

But asked nation wide who the better overall coach is...Its K.

One time since 2001 has K been beyond the sweet 16...ONE TIME! Roy's been to what, 4 or 5 final 4's in that time span and won it twice...What is K's record against Roy again? Media hype has made people believe K is the best in the land...The numbers don't back it up. Winning percentage among active coaches, is it K? Nope, it's Roy!

#29 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

One time since 2001 has K been beyond the sweet 16...ONE TIME! Roy's been to what, 4 or 5 final 4's in that time span and won it twice...What is K's record against Roy again? Media hype has made people believe K is the best in the land...The numbers don't back it up. Winning percentage among active coaches, is it K? Nope, it's Roy!

K has a .779 winning percentage at Duke...I didn't know 2 percentage points made that much of a difference. At the end of the day if you want to talk about championships etc...K has 3 and Williams has 2. Coach K will go down as the all-time winningest college bball coach being that he has about 250 more wins than Williams and they are roughly the same age. And I am not a Duke fan...I just understand basketball history. Like I said, Roy is a great coach (one of the all time greats) but when you are talking about game planning and coaching guys that are not lottery picks every year I don't think the comparison is close.

#30 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, K has been the USA coach since 2005, Larry Brown and his staff assembled right before the qualifiers...Not too mention that the NBA strongly encouraged the best to play in the last games and we still had our scares. OH yeah, didn't K's team get beat in the World Championship games in Toronto and have to settle for Bronze?

Unicar, man you are tremendous duke fan - way to run to the devil's aid. And you claim to be a wulfie? it's either ABC'er or dook fan, which is it...Tell ya what, you provide me the link of all those Roy NCAA violations and I'll hunt down that link.

Here are two seperate links to secondary violations that Roy Williams was a part of. I tried to search for a link to anything that stated Roy Williams was asked to coach Team USA and turned it down. The only association he has had with Team USA is as an assistant to Larry Brown and he is currently on the Men's Junior National Committee with Lorenzo Romar, Bruce Weber, and Jay Williams, yes that Jay Williams from Duke.

Htar for once, man up and just admit you have no idea what you are talking about. Then it can be over.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/8586946/

http://sports.espn.g...=ncb&id=2623115

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.