Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overkill: Munnerlyn Calls Out Coaching on Bears' Final Drive

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What was funny about today's game was that it seemed the coaches had conceded that they were wrong and they did what the media and fans had demanded - established a run game, work out of the i formation and eventually set up the play action pass.

Then comes 7 minutes left in the fourth with the lead - a time when it'd be great to have a long drive led with the run - and on the first play it's some comeback route for Smith... Useless dangerous play that puts the Bears in the lead.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='sylvianlight' timestamp='1351527757' post='1970441']
What was funny about today's game was that it seemed the coaches had conceded that they were wrong and they did what the media and fans had demanded - established a run game, work out of the i formation and eventually set up the play action pass.

Then comes 7 minutes left in the fourth with the lead - a time when it'd be great to have a long drive led with the run - and on the first play it's some comeback route for Smith... Useless dangerous play that puts the Bears in the lead.
[/quote]
very true on that comeback route.

all they had to do was protect the ball and keep doing what they've been doing all game.

the play call at that point in time was bad. smitty falling made it worse.

Posted · Report post

I said that in the chat yesterday as well... The pick when Smitty slipped should've never happened. For multiple reasons, 1) It was a bad time to call a pass, 2) It was a badly designed pass play and an even worse selection to call if you were going to call a pass. From what I saw, it was all short routes. Actually looked like a spacing type route, Problem is, the Bears sat on every one of the routes. They weren't playing deep, nor did they have to, because it didn't appear we sent anyone deep.

Again, nothing for the opponent to second guess, it was all out there right in front of them. Exactly what they wanted to see.

Posted · Report post

This is an example of why the staff is scattered. They blow the lead on a useless pass (overly risky) and then on the last drive they don't even put up a fight (overly risk averse). They just don't get how and when to take risks.

I literally said out loud before the pick "Why are they in shotgun?"

I don't care if they had a low average running the ball. The crowd was in it, the team was backed up, Chicago wanted momentum. If I'm Chud, I call a run play and try to get a few yards and settle things down, even if it's just marginally quieter it's better. The Bears defense may have been fired up there, but they hadn't done much to stop the Panthers from driving in the second. The run game had been far more effective in the second half. The chances of getting another FG seemed favorable.

The play probably would've been complete if Smith didn't fall so I can't fault it completely. It showed trust in Cam, at least, but I'm out of silver linnings.

Posted · Report post

posted this quote in another thread....
[quote]josephperson
Rivera said he would have liked to have seen corners,safeties play tighter on Bears' game-winning drive, when Panthers stayed in soft zone.[/quote]

so is this mcdermmott's fault?

what the crap is going on here?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1351530778' post='1970551']

[/quote]

It falls back on RR regardless. Its his staff. If he didn't like the scheme, he's the headcoach. CHANGE THE PLAYS!!! Its becoming more and more clear the man is oblivious.

Posted · Report post

[/quote]

What's going on is that there are so many parties failing we can't even decide whom to blame.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SCP' timestamp='1351519324' post='1970029']
Frustrating as hell watching teams out coach us every week.
[/quote]

I agree. The only time he was not outcoached was the Saints game. The game where the opponent's top 2 coaches were suspended.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Thorrez' timestamp='1351527091' post='1970405']
Let think and get the facts:

1. NFL coordinators from pretty much every team uses the soft defense at the end of games.
2. Fans always yells that it is stupid.

[/quote]

Uh, no they don't. Prevent is often used when the opposing team has to drive the length of the field to score a TD, and it is appropriate in that situation as the field gets more and more compressed the closer they get. You don't do it when the team only needs a FG. In a situation like yesterday, you will often see a 6 or 7 man blitz to try to end the game with a sack.

[/quote]

Nah, he's trying to put it on the players, and hoping everyone forgets we had a TO left that could have been used to try to get organized on D. I realize it's generally not wise to give the other team a TO on a drive with little time left, but everybody could see what was unfolding, and calling a different D was our only chance to stop it.

Posted · Report post

If RR didn't like the defense, he had 5 plays to call a TO and change it. Chud calls the dumb as out, with regard to field position/situational football. RR/ McDermott go soft zone and watch CHI drive for the win. Please JR.. fuging fire these guys!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Ron sure does like throwing his players under the bus.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Thorrez' timestamp='1351523688' post='1970268']
Gamble has the rep to say something like this, but had they called cover 2 and get a, likely, 30 yarder on a double move on Cap the coach would have been called out as an idiot for that instead.

The main problem is that Cap can´t cover a double move to save his life.
[/quote]

Double moves are somewhat irrelevant in a Cover 2, as the guy going deep just gets handed off to a safety. Cover 2 to squeeze the middle and make them throw deep, which they'd sucked at all day. Regardless of what the offense did or didn't do, the coaches utterly failed to call a proper defense for the situation.

Posted · Report post

[/quote]

This is EXACTLY why Rivera has no business being a HC after this season.. I swear he has no control..
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Gabeking' timestamp='1351537022' post='1970707']
This is EXACTLY why Rivera has no business being a HC after this season.. I swear he has no control..
[/quote]
considering the bad calls he's made, i think he has too much control.

i don't know...i'm just ready for a change.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Captain is just butt hurt that Rivera snapped on him when he had to blow a timeout on the field goal.

But he's right.

Posted · Report post

Just saying, I know high school defensive captains that will call something in the huddle different from what the coach called for if the coach is fuging them over with stupid calls. SOMEBODY has to take initiative there. You think Ray Lewis would allow his team to lose because of coaching? fug no. Sure, it's on coaching, and I want Rivera's head for it, but I wish we had one guy who would say "screw it, I don't care if I get chewed out or benched, we're not losing this game". Just one guy.

Posted · Report post

3 passes defended all on Brandon Marshall who is almost a foot taller than him. Go ahead captain .. PREACH!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1351537129' post='1970710']

[/quote]

well why then would he have said that he "wanted to see" his dbs play tighter? if he had so much control he should have said that he "should have called" his dbs to play more press, dont you think? or maybe he just didnt want to take accountability for it, who knows? either way, im with ya.. i think were all ready for a change, a [i]big [/i]one at that... i think we will get it, too.

Posted · Report post

funny thing about Munnerlyn and coaching staff is that it's both of their last years with the Panthers so who cares

Posted · Report post

[quote name='La Pantera' timestamp='1351525104' post='1970321']
HUH? Our DBs had completely shut down their passing game using press coverage. So what do the coaches do!? Go to a soft zone cover 4. Why abandon what had been working? The coaches put their player in a position to fail by not playing to their strenghts. Cap has every right to call them out. He played his ass off the entire game only to have the play calls kill the defensive momentum. Think before you type nonsense.
[/quote]

I would personally like to see a whole new coaching staff next year and if i were betting man,i'd bet that is going to happen.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1351537129' post='1970710']

[/quote]

Rivera,in my honest opinion has lost this team.

Posted · Report post

Guess what ronnie boy, you get beat deep guess what you get!!!!!! Umm the ball back you dumbass. Gotta love that last second field goal after you dont take a time out to atleast get us the ball back. YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Well, it is a shame our coordinators are so questionable.....

If they weren't I believe Rivera would be gone today. We don't have a coordinator worth giving the reigns to...

Posted · Report post

If the captain could cover and tackle, then I would not mind the comment.