Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeAngelo Williams Trade Talks

69 posts in this topic

Posted

If we trade DeAngelo now it would put us 5 million over the cap... not gonna happen until after June 1 when all the guaranteed money on his contract is gone.

The cap hit might not be the obstacle you'd think - depending on their timeframe for repairs. If they can take a big hit this year to make the year after significantly better they might bite the bullet and do it.

That said I don't think we'll move him. The biggest reason I think we won't is we don't have a functional GM. There's noone there who's used to making those deals right now that I know of. It'd be hard to get an even remotely favorable trade with our current staff. If someone offers us a sweetheart deal I hope we take it, but moving him for the sake of moving him wouldn't be ideal.

Posted

Good. It's a start.

Posted

Am I the only one that noticed that Stewart didn't really get going until he started splitting carriers with DeAngelo? These guys feed off each other.

Posted

Nobody got going in the run game. Our offensive line is atrocious in run blocking.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sweet! We can cite bleacherreport, now!!

Posted

I'm also not sure why any contender would trade for DeAngelo with his current cap number?

If good HB's are a dime a dozen, wouldn't you go looking for someone much cheaper?

Posted

I'm also not sure why any contender would trade for DeAngelo with his current cap number?

If good HB's are a dime a dozen, wouldn't you go looking for someone much cheaper?

They would only be on the hook for the remainder of the season. After this year his guaranteed money is spent and they can either force him to restructure or cut his ass with no cap penalty.

Posted

LeGarrette Blount/Stephen Jackson probably cheaper at this point then deangelo

Posted

LeGarrette Blount/Stephen Jackson probably cheaper at this point then deangelo

Hasn't Jackson been banged up this season? And Blount isn't an every down back. He's strictly a power runner.

Posted

"If there is no progression, Carolina should cut ties with both running backs and find a back for the future. It starts with getting rid of Williams for any value out there."

lmao

Posted

Of Williams’ $5.25 million base salary in 2012, $5 million is fully guaranteed. After this season, none of the remaining money is guaranteed.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Williams is due to earn $4.75 million in base salary in 2013, $5.75 million in 2014, and $6.75 million in 2015.

A trade before June 1 of 2013 would result in a $9.6 million cap acceleration for the Panthers; after June 1, Williams would cost $3.2 million against the cap in 2013 and $6.4 million in 2013. A trade before Tuesday would result in the entire $9.6 million hitting the cap in 2012. (As of early September, the Panthers had only $5.3 million in cap space.)

so would JR be willing to take that cap hit in order to trade Deangelo for another player that could help this team now? WR? CB? Or give the new GM as many picks as he can?