Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kitten01

Does Peter King know something we don't?

170 posts in this topic

Not always true. Brees and Brett Favre were bad their second seasons but turned it around in year 3. I think Newton gets another year to show progress. This is a lost season for any number of reasons but a significant part of it was the inexplicable decision to feature a college offense for the first 6 games.

TonyN is correct. If you can't expect and demand greatness from a second year, 23 year old player, it's probably time to cut ties. That's pretty much the apex of development and they're just not going to get better past that point. And if you're not progressing notably while surrounded with a stellar coaching staff like Newton obviously is, man that's just insult to injury.

I'm too tired to post the yearly stat progression of a bunch of other quarterbacks for comparison, but yeah. Across the board, they have jaw-dropping increases in performance from year one to year two and onto year three. Every one. It's uncanny.

Here's hoping whomever we turn up in our GM search realizes this and cuts ties before it's too late and Newton drags us into the abyss along with him.

First of all, this is Peter King. Hes clueless. Second of all, this is a "what have you done for me lately?" league and its annoying. My workplace is full of Steelers and Redskins fans. Last year, they saw what Cam did and was capable of and they all made sure to let me know Carolina has finally got themselves a great QB to build around, and hes young too.

THis year, 1-6 happens and suddenly, they all are coming up to me asking if we are going to pick a QB in the draft if we get the #1 pick.

My response is always - Guys, he was a Pro Bowler last year as a rookie. Set records. Our OC decided to switch up the offense though this year and here we are at 1-6. He is not suddenly turned into a dud.

NFL is really starting to annoy me. It went from Cam Newton being the next best thing to now he sucks and RG3 being the next best thing. Well...i believe Cam Newton will be here for YEARS and I believe IN Cam Newton. He has a bad attitude and needs to change his demeanor but hes 22-23 years old and that will come with more maturing. This team needs a leader as a head coach and Cam needs a veteran mentor that will teach him how to handle situations. Dude has all the talent in the world and i am PROUD he is our QB. Just ask opposing teams. They gun for him now because he lit up the league last year. This year its revenge time for defenses, but the years ahead Cam is going to adjust and dominate! THE END

1 person likes this

For him to say that sources are telling him, there us probably something to his comments. I don't know exactly how much his sources actually know.

Where in his diatribe does he say that he has a source?

Cam Newton had one of the best rookie seasons of any football player at any position in NFL history. To suggest that he may not be the "long-term quarterback" for the Carolina Panthers is absolutely absurd, and anyone who makes that assertion loses all credibility with me.

This season has really opened my eyes to the hacks in the sports journalism.

I just don't understand why Cam wouldn't get another few years to see how the cement hardens. You're not going to do any better than him at the position.

I just don't understand why Cam wouldn't get another few years to see how the cement hardens. You're not going to do any better than him at the position.

i disagree.

we should just keep drafting quarterbacks high until one of them wins the super bowl for us as a rookie or second year player.

2 people like this

i disagree.

we should just keep drafting quarterbacks high until one of them wins the super bowl for us as a rookie or second year player.

mmmmmm.....tasty sarcasm.

TonyN is correct. If you can't expect and demand greatness from a second year, 23 year old player, it's probably time to cut ties. That's pretty much the apex of development and they're just not going to get better past that point. And if you're not progressing notably while surrounded with a stellar coaching staff like Newton obviously is, man that's just insult to injury.

I'm too tired to post the yearly stat progression of a bunch of other quarterbacks for comparison, but yeah. Across the board, they have jaw-dropping increases in performance from year one to year two and onto year three. Every one. It's uncanny.

Here's hoping whomever we turn up in our GM search realizes this and cuts ties before it's too late and Newton drags us into the abyss along with him.

Newsflash: We're already there

9-30 over the last 39 games is the abyss. This team would be hard pressed to go any lower.

Easy tease. Don't get bayless'd. Nothing is a for sure long term thing in the NFL. I give you Peyton manning as exhibit A.

Easy tease. Don't get bayless'd. Nothing is a for sure long term thing in the NFL. I give you Peyton manning as exhibit A.

He was in Indy 15 or 16 years. And he didn't do what Cam did as a rookie and won fewer games as a rookie. Cam's rookie season should have gotten him about 3 more years of equity, his entire rookie contract.