Photo
- - - - -

Do you share similar beliefs to your parent(s)?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I was thinking about how many people I meet that have strong, opinionated beliefs, and wondered how many of them have those beliefs based they were presented to them by their parents. The initial presentation of a belief can leave a strong impression, and what stronger impression can be left than that of our parents? While I was growing up, I would encounter kids that had strong liberal or conservative leanings before they could even drive, more often than not, verbatim lines that they heard from their parents.

So what about you? Do your beliefs mirror your parents and/or the mature influences in your life? Or are you a self-made image of individuality? Is this a case of nature versus nurture?

#2 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

nope.

i don't even share the beliefs of the woman that i chose to marry. just goes to show that people with opposing view points can get along.

#3 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,279 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Considering I grew up baptist, considered myself an atheist for several years, and then arrived at my current conclusions through some corridors that seem to confuse everyone but myself...I'd have to say no.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,865 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

Same general ballpark? Yes. Kind of. Maybe. I'm a unique snowflake in many ways.

I'm probably closer in opinion to my dad than I know. But I'll never know for sure because he barely talks seriously about some subjects.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,185 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

I think as you get older, you understand a little better why your parents may have thought the way they thought.
My dad has come much further than my mom on alot of things. From forgiving his dad and his brother to understanding people that disagree with him in a much more sane way.
My mom is on a different orbit on things at times.
I have a lil of both but have cut my own path to some things.
Great question BTW

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,672 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

no i don't, not on most things. dad is a moderate republican. mom is a misanthrope.

#7 Kylee

Kylee

JRMEMBERMYASS:(

• HUDDLER
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

my momma would laugh at this. she calls me an extreme liberal (not THAT extreme, I don't burn things in protest or nuthin), and that me and my "minions" are sending this country straight to hell. oh and my nickname is ObamaMama.

#8 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

What I find really interesting about those who follow more closely to their parents beliefs are the people that are most opinionated are usually the most ignorant. It's not like having similar beliefs to your parents automatically makes you ignorant, but I think the potential is definently there because you haven't formulated your own beliefs but just piggy-backed on the views of someone else. It's kind of a travesty. I wish I had some kind of mind-reading ability when talking issues with someone to know whether they are just spewing lines verbatim from someone else they heard talking (whether it be parents/news/street person/etc) so I could call them on it. That would be fun.

All in all this thread is really supposed to make you think about why you think a certain way, and where those beliefs came from. Not nearly enough people do that.

Edited by hepcat, 25 May 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

We both believe my sister's crazy, so yes.

#10 Kylee

Kylee

• HUDDLER
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

up until this past election i had never paid attention to politics of any kind, never had any kind of conversation with parentals about it, just wasnt a priority to me. this election, my mom rode me about registering to vote so i could "partake in this historical election". i registered on the last day possible, and had started paying a lil more attention to the debates and crap so when election rolled around i voted. mom called me later on to talk about it and thats when i found out she had just assumed that i voted republican. i was like "ma, i voted obama." Dead silence. "beth, are you joking". that was when i realized i was the black sheep. and i dont consider myself a "democrat" or really an anything. i just happened to like the democrat better. ANYWAYS. now, politics is def. a heated discussion with my WHOLE REPUBLICAN family always calling with every press conference, sending emails, blahblahblah. politics shmolitics.

#11 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

up until this past election i had never paid attention to politics of any kind, never had any kind of conversation with parentals about it, just wasnt a priority to me. this election, my mom rode me about registering to vote so i could "partake in this historical election". i registered on the last day possible, and had started paying a lil more attention to the debates and crap so when election rolled around i voted. mom called me later on to talk about it and thats when i found out she had just assumed that i voted republican. i was like "ma, i voted obama." Dead silence. "beth, are you joking". that was when i realized i was the black sheep. and i dont consider myself a "democrat" or really an anything. i just happened to like the democrat better. ANYWAYS. now, politics is def. a heated discussion with my WHOLE REPUBLICAN family always calling with every press conference, sending emails, blahblahblah. politics shmolitics.

So it's YOUR fault...

#12 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,632 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

My family comes from Wilkes county, which has been Republican since Sherman marched through the Carolinas. When I voted none of the above in 2004, I might be the only member of my family who didn't vote for a republican presidential candidate in the last 30 years. :)

#13 JeramiahCopperfield

JeramiahCopperfield

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

mostly.. My mom is a school teacher so a bit jaded, but can't see how so much of what is taught at public schools is total crap. Just too close to it I guess... She thinks Ron Paul accomplished nothing b/c he didn't win so that annoys me but other than that she is pretty down

My dad and I have almost exact same view points. I remember back in the day he was very against NAFTA and being a young kid just watching the news I thought he was a moron. I now realize I was the moron and respect his ability to see through the lies.

I turned him on to Ron Paul and after getting over the neocon war hawk propaganda he is all about classical conservatism.

He is anti-france, where I am not, that is about all I can think of.

#14 Kylee

Kylee

• HUDDLER
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

So it's YOUR fault...

....LOL. uh okay. you cant blame the condition the "nation" is in on any one presidency just like you cant expect it to be cleaned up with any one presidency. i claim no fault. and i would revote obama again JUST to piss my momma off AGAIN. gets me outta alot more phone conversations now.

#15 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

Yes and No

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com