50 replies to this topic

#16 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Without using nuclear weapons of any kind.

Captain dipshit.

I'd be more impressed if they did it without using American tax dollars.

#17 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Now they done it!! Oooooh The Iranian navy...

#18 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't care which tribe of savages wins as long as my white ass isn't forced to go over there.

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

There isn't going to be a regular war between Israel and Iran. Some of you really need to look at a friggin map. The Israeli army isn't going to go marching across Jordan and Iraq to get there, and neither is the Iranian army. Any conflicts between the two will be low key, naval and spec ops with maybe some air combat on occassion. Iran and Israel going to war would be like North Carolina and Oregon going to war.

And btw, when has the US ever had to send troops into combat to back up the Israelis? And no silly conspiracy theory crap please.

#20 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Now they done it!! Oooooh The Iranian navy...

Russian technology and Iranian sailors. The worst of both worlds. :)

#21 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Lol i actually looked it up. They have 3 old destroyers, a handful of odd frigates and 3 old Russian built diesel subs.

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think you are underestimating the advances Iran has made in their technology.

Israel absolutely has better technology than the Iranians, but any war between Israel and Iran won't be short like the Six Day War.

Israel would very likely win in an all out conflict, but it wouldn't be without losses.

During the Six Day War Israel basically had modern (for that time) technology going up against dilapidated Soviet WWII equipment.

The gap in technology is still large, but smaller than it used to be.

Fwiw, the Egyptian and Syrian forces in the 6 day war had modern Soviet equipment similar to what the Vietnamese were using against us in Vietnam, and with better effect than the Egyptians did against the Israelis, at least in the air. The Israelis were using mostly french aircraft, with a mixture of british and american tanks that we used in Korea and WWII (albeit with some upgrades such as adding a 105 mm french gun to the Shermans)

But don't over estimate the impact of technology. After the brushup with Syrian in 1982 (I think), the Israelis said that they could have done almost as well with the Russian technology the Syrians were using as they did with our technology.

War is about superior personnel, training and logistics. The Israelis are certainly better in logistics, and probably have better trained and more experienced personnel.

But its irrelevant since it will be very hard for them to come to blows.

#23 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Lol i actually looked it up. They have 3 old destroyers, a handful of odd frigates and 3 old Russian built diesel subs.

The Kilos are actually good subs and far and away Iran's most lethal threat. Question would be can they operate far enough from their home base to actually do some damage. They would have to pass thru some narrow restricted waters to get to Israel. Even our own subs don't like to do that.

#24 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'd be more impressed if they did it without using American tax dollars.

Something we can agree on for a change, however it's highly unlikely the irony is there spending money we barrowed from china.

#25 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Shades of the Kursk...

#26 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

The Kilos are actually good subs and far and away Iran's most lethal threat. Question would be can they operate far enough from their home base to actually do some damage. They would have to pass thru some narrow restricted waters to get to Israel. Even our own subs don't like to do that.

How long can diesel subs operate before needing to refuel?

#27 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• HUDDLER
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Is it too much to ask for everyone over there (Israel in particular) to just play nice and mind their own damned business?

#28 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,486 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

For a while, but refueling is not the problem really. Its how much experience they have in operating in unfamiliar waters, without the assistance of their air force and navy. And how good they are at hiding from Anti submarine warfare units, or finding and identyfying targets without assistance.

And I wonder if our own subs are following them as soon as they leave port as we use to do sometimes with the Russians.

#29 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

That will vary widely depending on the class of the submarine, and whether or not the submarine is traveling underwater or on the surface... For reference sake, Israel's Dolphin class submarine:

"The propulsion system provides a speed of 20kt dived and a snorting speed of 11kt. The range of the submarine is 8,000 miles at a surface speed of 8kt and over 400 miles at an economical speed of 8kt dived. The hull is rated for a diving depth of 350m. The endurance of the submarine is 30 days."

http://www.naval-tec...ojects/dolphin/

#30 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,925 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

FINALLY VENOM WILL BE VINDICATED!!1!!!

huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic