Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Serious" chance D-Will gets traded

140 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm ballparking a 5th.

A 4th would be nice, 3rd is pie in the sky, a 2nd and we'd be wanted in 18 states.

3 people like this

Posted

Only way a D Will trade would even REMOTELY make me happy:

Is if on Draft day we somehow finagled our way back into the first round... Even then I would not be happy with our current backfield.

I say he stays though long term because my scenario would likely never happen... And if we took anything less than the first pick in the 2nd rnd we would be seriously fuggin ourselves from a talent standpoint. Contract be damned.... Talent wise, if we get anything less than a 1st rounder with his career stats and lack of injury we'd literally be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Just my .02

That trade wouldn't even go through in Madden. He's 29 with a HUGE contract. You trade him NOW while he has value with teams in the hunt looking for help at RB. We need the cap relieve and D. Will is no longer the best RB on this team. There is no chance in hell you get a 2nd, and at this point we'd be LUCKY as hell to get a 3rd.

If we don't unload him now, all that's going to happen is that the new GM will unload him and we will get much less back, if anything.

Posted

What would the cap hit be if we trade him?

Posted

What would the cap hit be if we trade him?

Even though trading Williams now would cause an immediate $9.6 million acceleration onto next year’s salary cap, a source with knowledge of the situation said the Panthers are “absolutely” prepared to absorb that hit if the right deal comes along.

Moving Williams would benefit the Panthers in two ways, First, it would make more than $17 million in future base salaries go away (all his guaranteed money was in the first two years of his deal), for a player who has already fallen behind Jonathan Stewart on the depth chart.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/panthers-prepared-to-take-cap-hit-if-right-williams-deal-comes-along/

Posted

I'd rather just use him, properly.

4 people like this

Posted

...And if we took anything less than the first pick in the 2nd rnd we would be seriously fuggin ourselves from a talent standpoint...

Currently, we may not need to trade anyone to get the first pick in the 2nd round. *sigh*

Posted

We could do that, but I'd say there is a 0% chance the new GM will keep him. We need some help on both sides of the ball and his contract is horrible. If we wait around his value will dwindle

Posted

RB is becoming nearly the most disposable position on offense in the modern NFL. carrying the weight of giant contracts for two running backs is hard to justify.

1 person likes this

Posted

Its funny how so many of you want to trade him simply because of his contract and think he is so damn old.

Half of you fail to realize we are in a favorable position to get him to restruture next year since he will no longer have have any guaranteed money coming to him. Thinking that a 3rd or worse is good compensation for the teams number 1 touchdown threat over the last 5 years is a good idea blows my mind. He is only 29 and obviously not getting much wear and tear on him.

Yes he is not having success in the current scheme but nor is Stewart or Tolber for that matter. The reason all of our backs suck right now(Chudzinski) will be not be a factor next year as he will be gone.

Also if we trade him our cap hit will be 9.6 million next year. If we keep him and he refuses to restructure then his cap hit is only 8.2 million. This a dumb idea and only being floated around by the media for the traffic it creates by praying on panther fans that are starved for something interesting to talk about in the midst of our current meltdown.

Posted

The hell of it is if we trade him for a draft pick or picks those picks may be " undisclosed" - we may not know for a long time what we got out of him.

Posted

That trade wouldn't even go through in Madden. He's 29 with a HUGE contract. You trade him NOW while he has value with teams in the hunt looking for help at RB. We need the cap relieve and D. Will is no longer the best RB on this team. There is no chance in hell you get a 2nd, and at this point we'd be LUCKY as hell to get a 3rd.

If we don't unload him now, all that's going to happen is that the new GM will unload him and we will get much less back, if anything.

DWill is still the best RB on this team without question. Check some stats and get back to me bro.

He had a better avg against Chicago and he got almost all of his carries Out Of The WILDCAT! Don't come at me or anybody else that really knows what's up with that BS!

Stew has gotten the nod, but he's still not better than DeAngelo.... That's a FACT based off of stats... Not an opinion just because I like him.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks!! So in essence we would be paying $9.6 mill in dead money next season but then be freed of his contract? If so, that sounds good to me since we're not using him at all.