Photo
- - - - -

Jim Harbaugh will not be available. How about David Shaw ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

He has only been a head coach for two years, but he has done very well. It is not easy to win at Stanford.

Shaw was Harbaugh's passing game cooridinator at the University of San Diego and Harbaugh brought him along to Stanford as his OC, where he flourished.

Shaw also is no stranger to the pro game, having served as an assistant for the Eagles, Raiders and Ravens. He runs what is very much a pro-style system at Stanford.

He is the main reason Andrew Luck was considered the most Pro ready quarterback to come out of college in many years.

My guess is that if you ain't good, you don't stick as Harbaugh's OC for 7 seasons.

The guy is super smart and no nonsense, just like his mentor.

My guess is that JR will want to go for a proven NFL head coach, but I think Shaw deserves a serious look.

I don't think Shaw is going to last long at Stanford...somebody is going to ****** him up.

#2 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,405 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

No more coordinators please.

#3 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

I liked you post and if I could would hit like 10 more times.

No cooridinators, No College HC's ..... bring in a former NFL HC who has had success at the NFL level.

#4 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

I actually suggested this in the new head coach thread a while back, he looks like he could be a real find. I'd be willing to give him a shot.

And he's Stanford's HC, so he'll have both coordinating and HC experience, albeit at the college level.

edit: it was in the Andy Reid or Norv Turner thread: http://www.carolinah...30#entry1945524

#5 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Shaw has been the head coach for two years at Stanford. You are not getting Ron Rivera here...This guy knows how to manage games and is a quarterback guru as well as a guy who believes in defense.

#6 ZB1224

ZB1224

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I really like Shaw. I think he's going to be a very good NFL HC. It's a bit risky getting a college HC, but his offense is awesome. He runs a power run offense and really utilizes his TE's.

#7 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,405 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

We as an organization do not have the luxury of taking risks with the head coach position again.

#8 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

I actually suggested this in the new head coach thread a while back, he looks like he could be a real find. I'd be willing to give him a shot.

And he's Stanford's HC, so he'll have both coordinating and HC experience, albeit at the college level.

edit: it was in the Andy Reid or Norv Turner thread: http://www.carolinah...30#entry1945524

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder...I am new to this forum and did not read that thread...

I have just watched a few Stanford games over the last couple of years and have really been impressed with their strong fundamental play and Shaw's demeanor on the sideline.

I agree totally...the guy is going to be a big winner for someone...

#9 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I really like Shaw. I think he's going to be a very good NFL HC. It's a bit risky getting a college HC, but his offense is awesome. He runs a power run offense and really utilizes his TE's.

As of late college coaches have been being more successful. Harbaugh is already a stud, and Pete Caroll and Schiano look like they know what they are doing.

#10 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

At this point id be more content with this guy as our HC than Rivera,

#11 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

If you hate these threads as much as I do, then just don't post in them

#12 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder...I am new to this forum and did not read that thread...

I have just watched a few Stanford games over the last couple of years and have really been impressed with their strong fundamental play and Shaw's demeanor on the sideline.

I agree totally...the guy is going to be a big winner for someone...

Ha no worries, didn't mean to intimate that you stole my thunder! I hope we at least give him a look. We've gone the "NFL defensive coordinator" route with every hire except for Seifert (who was also a defensive coordinator before he was a HC!) so I'm hoping we try a different approach this time.

#13 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Why? Because we had one bad choice in Rivera? Not every coordinator would make bad choices, imo.

Look at Mike Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh as prime examples.

Also, why do folks automatically think that a previous HC will do wonders? In case anyone has forgotten, we have had a previous HC... and it failed.

#14 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Why? Because we had one bad choice in Rivera? Not every coordinator would make bad choices, imo.

Look at Mike Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh as prime examples.

Also, why do folks automatically think that a previous HC will do wonders? In case anyone has forgotten, we have had a previous HC... and it failed.

Capers - Steelers D-coordinator before Panthers HC
Fox - Giants D-coordinator before Panthers HC
Seifert - SF HC (but, as I stated, was SF's D-coordinator before its HC) before Panthers HC
Rivera - CHI and SD D-coordinator before Panthers HC

I'd prefer a different approach this time.

#15 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Capers- Playoffs and NFC Championship appearences

Seifert- No Playoffs, 1-15

Fox- 3 playoff appearences, 2 NFC Championship appearences, 1 NFC championship, and a Superbowl appearence.

Rivera- Bad choice

Point being is that we have had success with previous coordinators turn HC. One bad apple doesn't equate to them being all bad apples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com