Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Harbaugh will not be available. How about David Shaw ?

68 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Fox was a solid HC, but nothing special imo.

Anyways, we would be extremely lucky to get David Shaw as our HC. Now, would he leave his alma mater to coach in the NFL? That remains to be seen.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mage' timestamp='1351731354' post='1974419']
While it certainly didn't end well, LOL @ people thinking John Fox was a bad head coach. He had us competitive every single year up until 2010, which was a throwaway year. We would have made the playoffs in 2004, 2006, and 2007 (well, this is questionable, but we still finished 7-9 with Delhomme out for majority of the year and a spinning wheel at the QB position) if not for injuries. I still remember how unlucky we were in '06. I think he had a major issue with adjusting and was too close to his veterans but still, he was a solid coach. It was time to move on from him after '10 but lets not let that year lead us into believing he wasn't a good coach.

And I don't get this logic in bringing in an old NFL head coach. 1, how many former NFL head coaches are out there who want another job? 2, how many former NFL head coaches are out there who were all that good in their first stint? Just because Rivera was bad doesn't mean anything and considering it was said Richardson didn't want him (along with all the other NFL teams he interviewed), the issue very well could have been Hurney and his evaluating process.

I am not at all familiar with David Shaw but he sounds intriguing.
[/quote]

John Fox is a hellva good coach IMHO. Big ego, but a solid coach.

The fact that John Elway hired him should tell you much.

I don't like Elway for sh*t, peersonally, but I don't doubt his football knowledge for a second.

It took some serious brass to do what Fox did in Denver last year. And he pulled it off.

Ironically, I think the zone option success Denver had last year is one of the reasons we saw it installed here.

Given the current state of the AFC, my guess is that Fox stands a great chance of going to his second Superbowl this season...

Posted · Report post

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html?eref=twitter_feed"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html?eref=twitter_feed[/url]

Figured I'd post this here instead of starting a new thread or anything.

I still think that I'd prefer Shaw over Kelly, but I'd definitely be open to Kelly. NFL executives seem to like him.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]"He runs the best practices I've ever seen," an NFC executive told NFL.com. "I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."[/size][/font][/color]

I don't know exactly what type of offense Kelly would run, but I do know that it'd likely be an up tempo type of offense. it obviously wouldn't be the same thing he runs at Oregon, but the offense would probably have some of the same features imo.

Posted · Report post

My buddy works at Stanford and has season tix, and I have been to every Stanford game for the past three years save a few. I like Shaw a lot, he runs a pro system, and Stanford is a tough team even with Luck gone. Not sure how he'd translate to the pros, but I wouldn't be upset about it.

Posted · Report post

Jake Delhomme for HC.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TheRed' timestamp='1351731509' post='1974422']
Oh lawd, a John Fox fan. Zero back to back winning seasons, what a terrific coach he was.
[/quote]

i think he's pretty much solved that problem.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans' timestamp='1351792088' post='1975020']

[/quote]

Didn't Denver go 8-8 last year?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans' timestamp='1351792014' post='1975018']
Jake Delhomme for HC.
[/quote]

Idk about HC (lol), but I'd love to see Jake back with the Panthers in some capacity for sure.

Posted · Report post

I think its a bit to early for Shaw but he'll definitely be in the NFL if he continues to keep Stanford relevant like this.

Also its not just the offense but the defense has improved under Shaw compared to Harbaugh. I also like that the team is run pro-style.

I think we have to wait till all the players on the team are his recruits to get a true sense of him.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Montsta' timestamp='1351792671' post='1975030']
Didn't Denver go 8-8 last year?
[/quote]

yup.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ZB1224' timestamp='1351790394' post='1974977']
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html?eref=twitter_feed"]http://sportsillustr...ef=twitter_feed[/url]

Figured I'd post this here instead of starting a new thread or anything.

I still think that I'd prefer Shaw over Kelly, but I'd definitely be open to Kelly. NFL executives seem to like him.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]"He runs the best practices I've ever seen," an NFC executive told NFL.com. "I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."[/size][/font][/color]

I don't know exactly what type of offense Kelly would run, but I do know that it'd likely be an up tempo type of offense. it obviously wouldn't be the same thing he runs at Oregon, but the offense would probably have some of the same features imo.
[/quote]

This probably DESERVES its own thread because the reactionay are already clamoring for Kelly and he is the BIG name, but:

His success has been based almost totally on a gimmick offense that will never work at the NFL level. Never. How will he adjust? Who knows?

Strike one.

He seems almost completely indifferent to what occurs on the defensive side of the ball so he will have to be coupled with a top defensive guy.

Strike two.

The guy has no NFL experience. Zero. NADA. NONE. ZILTCHERINO.

Not as a Head Coach, assistant, player or even ball boy.

Basically you are crossing your fingers and hoping Chip Kelly is Jimmy Johnson. I believe Jimmy Johnson is the only college head coach to move to the NFL and win a Superbowl with no NFL experience.

Strike three.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans' timestamp='1351792088' post='1975020']

[/quote]

The season isn't over yet, and Denver has been pretty inconsistent.

I don't have anything against Fox, but I think a lot of people in this fanbase overrate him.