86 replies to this topic

#16 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Not many things the private sector and states cannot do better than the Federal Government. What Romney is proposing is a better, more efficient system, not an abolished one. But those who bow down to the Fed Gov as master cannot see it. Maybe those in NJ with no gas wonder why they cannot buy gas from neighboring state without a lot of rules and regulations being waived. Maybe the red tape Obama mentioned in his "lean forward" speech the other day needs to be permanently gotten rid of. I guess nobody caught the admission of tons of red tape with FEMA.

#17 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

This country already tried what the human Etch-A-Sketch (Romney) is proposing. FEMA was created because individual federal agencies, states, volunteer organizations and private business were unable to effectively train, prepare for, and coordinate disaster relief. Every year tens of thousands of Americans suffered needlessly because of it.

Since the late 70's FEMA has done a good job of coordinating disaster preparation and relief.

That is, until GWB showed up and the wheels fell off.

One need look no further than how the Bush Administration handled Hurricane Katrina after downgrading FEMA's importance and loading it up with their political cronies instead of properly trained professionals. The Bush Administration gave a whole new meaning to the word "disaster" in Disaster Relief with their performance.

Katrina is a preview of the future for FEMA if Romney and the neocons get their way. It is deja vu all over again with Romney's ideas. The neocon base has completely blocked out the 8 years under GWB and yet they want to go right back to his policies. How strange is that?

This is a common theme among GOP supporters (e.g. banking reform, EPA, abortion, medicare, SS., women's rights, racial equality). They’re too young to appreciate the crucial events and human suffering that drove these changes, and/or they’re too self absorbed to value these changes, and/or they’re just too busy trying to stay in lockstep with the neocon beliefs of their leaders at FOX.

#18 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,980 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

nan you forgot to mention repealing of the Glass Stegall act and trying to reign in Freddie and Fannie pre financial meltdown. oops.

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Where did he say he wanted to dismantle FEMA?

He never said it.

In a debate in the primaries, he said that we should send back to the states what can be sent back to the states, and privatize what can be privatized. A relatively bland statement that doesn't really mean a lot.

#20 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

He never said it.

In a debate in the primaries, he said that we should send back to the states what can be sent back to the states, and privatize what can be privatized. A relatively bland statement that doesn't really mean a lot.

That's what he said stripped of all context, sure. But he said it in response to a FEMA question. If someone asks you about FEMA and you say "we should give power to the states and/or privatize," you're saying you want to get rid of FEMA.

#21 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

This country already tried what the human Etch-A-Sketch (Romney) is proposing. FEMA was created because individual federal agencies, states, volunteer organizations and private business were unable to effectively train, prepare for, and coordinate disaster relief. Every year tens of thousands of Americans suffered needlessly because of it.

Since the late 70's FEMA has done a good job of coordinating disaster preparation and relief.

I think you need to stop accessing huffington and go back and read the stories of some of the events that FEMA did a "good job" with.

FEMA was heavily criticised for several of the Hurricanes it delt with before Katrina. Katrina gets most of the coverage because it was an unprecedented disaster (the potential for which was known and ignored during the Clinton administration), but FEMA's response to Andrew, Hugo, Floyd and several other major events was error prone. Fortunately none of those responders had to deal with the issues that Katrina responders had to deal with, ie an immobile population, a pathetic response from local and state governments, and a city that is basically a bowl that sits below sea level.

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

That's what he said stripped of all context, sure. But he said it in response to a FEMA question. If someone asks you about FEMA and you say "we should give power to the states and/or privatize," you're saying you want to get rid of FEMA.

Hogwash.

He said it needs to be more efficient and some control needs to be given back to the states.

#23 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

He never said it.

What the human Etch-A-Sketch said was a political remark intended as red meat for those neocons that believe the states and private business can do anything the feds can do, only better. Romney didn't count on Sandy making him have to reinvent himself, yet again.

Reality is, that states used to take the lead along with the private sector for most of our country's existence and we finally realized after a lot of unnecessary human suffering that it wasn't working very well.

Fortunately none of those responders had to deal with the issues that Katrina responders had to deal with, ie an immobile population, a pathetic response from local and state governments...

Exactly, let's look at Louisiana's ham handed state and local response to Katrina. It is a perfect example why we require a properly managed FEMA, instead of 50 miniature SEMAs trying to do the same job.

#24 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

and it only took a natural disaster in the economic center of the world.

During the primaries he wanted to dismantle it. Now he is making sweet love to it.

Not ready for prime time when these decisions effect so many.

Hmmmmm.......

Too bad Obama doesn't support FEMA.

http://www.nbcnewyor...-Dive/176839571

#25 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image

Perhaps it may seem insensitive and unpatriotic to some for me to run such an ugly cartoon at this time of national mourning. To those of you who hold this view, I must respectfully say fug you. Some of my younger readers may not even remember Ronald Regan’s presidency, and I would not want them to be misled by the onslaught of state propaganda they’ll be subjected to this week. Calling him the Great Communicator is like calling Hitler the Great Negotiator, and if we’re going to credit him with winning the Cold War we may as well credit him with the Challenger disaster and the return of Halley’s Comet. Let me tell you what it was really like:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country's wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn't know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys' adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter's Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.

#26 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

One need look no further than how the Bush Administration handled Hurricane Katrina after downgrading FEMA's importance and loading it up with their political cronies instead of properly trained professionals. The Bush Administration gave a whole new meaning to the word "disaster" in Disaster Relief with their performance.

Katrina is a preview of the future for FEMA if Romney and the neocons get their way. It is deja vu all over again with Romney's ideas. The neocon base has completely blocked out the 8 years under GWB and yet they want to go right back to his policies. How strange is that?

This is a common theme among GOP supporters (e.g. banking reform, EPA, abortion, medicare, SS., women's rights, racial equality). They’re too young to appreciate the crucial events and human suffering that drove these changes, and/or they’re too self absorbed to value these changes, and/or they’re just too busy trying to stay in lockstep with the neocon beliefs of their leaders at FOX.

FEMA doing a fine job

Like I said earlier, all we need is an attentive media and Toby Keith saying BO doesn't like white people and we are back to Katrina

#27 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Politics rule.

Of course I am certain MSNBC will be raising a ruckus over this. Not

http://www.waff.com/...-sandy-recovery

hate it for the folks in NJ, but, hey, they are making their bed.......

#28 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Mayor diverting huge generators to Central park for "NYC marathon" instead of using them for people in need.

Man, if only he were a Repub, he would be skewered. But, he and the President are safe, Dems abusing Dems with Dems in the media. a non story.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1195599

#29 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

You know how I know most of you have never been through a disaster?

You claim that FEMA is doing a good job......

The only things that held small towns in NC together during Bertha, Fran, and Floyd were locals, not some damn federal government agency that doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground.

#30 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

But, it makes Liberals feel good to say "they" have done something to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com