86 replies to this topic

#31 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

That's what he said stripped of all context, sure. But he said it in response to a FEMA question. If someone asks you about FEMA and you say "we should give power to the states and/or privatize," you're saying you want to get rid of FEMA.

Nope ... that's only your interpretation of what he said.

#32 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Nope ... that's only your interpretation of what he said.

Kinda like roads and bridges?

#33 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Kinda like roads and bridges?

Not at all ... direct quote from Obama:

"Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Show me a direct quote from Romney that says, "I want to dismantle FEMA" or anything remotely close to that. You can't.

#34 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

you didn't build "that" refers to infrastructure and anyone who isn't retarded makes that connection when given the full quote.

#35 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

you didn't build "that" refers to infrastructure and anyone who isn't retarded makes that connection when given the full quote.

WTF ... it says right in that same sentence "if you have a business .... you didn't build that." Now, I'd never call anyone "retarded" (thought that was a huge no-no for liberals), but if you can't read the entire sentence of less than 10 words and know what it means, then you have a terrible reading deficiency. It may not have been what he MEANT to say, but it is exactly what he DID say ... and I believe he meant it exactly the way he said it.

And, by the way ... if you have a business (or even if you don't) you certainly DID build "that" if "that refers to roads and bridges ... because we're all taxpayers who pay for that infrastructure.

#36 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

The following editorial appeared in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday, Nov. 1:

Hurricane Katrina's direct hit on New Orleans in 2005 brought disaster in many ways: almost 1,800 lives lost, $108 billion in property damage and for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a lingering reputation for failure.

In fact, it might have meant the end for the agency, which can trace its roots back more than 200 years. There's been talk in the long presidential selection process leading up to next Tuesday's election that FEMA might be a worthy target for elimination or privatization in the name of federal budget-cutting.

Hold on. FEMA, the dope of Katrina, may be turning into the hero of Superstorm Sandy.

In terms of lives affected, Sandy is bigger than Katrina. Millions of people live in the path of the superstorm, which moved onshore Monday in New Jersey. FEMA's success in its mission of coordinating federal relief efforts, assisting state and local emergency response teams and, as the name says, emergency management, was essential.

From all accounts so far, including praise from state and local officials across the disaster zone, the agency has met the challenge admirably.

Still, it's reasonable to ask whether FEMA is really necessary. Could states or private industry do the job?

No. There could be no better demonstration than Sandy that a well-run federal emergency response is crucial in a major disaster. If we didn't have FEMA, we'd need the same agency by another name.

At a time when all federal resources must be available to help, coordinated by full-time professionals in emergency management, with relief supplies at hand and ready for distribution, with expertise to help state and local response efforts in ways that have been worked out well ahead of time, FEMA or something like it is called for.

That didn't happen with Katrina. But FEMA obviously has been reshaped and given competent leadership since then. It appears to be working now.

Read more here: http://www.kansascit...l#storylink=cpy

#37 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Ask Staten Island how FEMA is working out for them.

#38 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

During one of the 2011 GOP presidential debates sponsored by CNN, Mitt Romney argued that the Federal Emergency Management Agency should be disbanded and replaced by handing over the responsibility to the states to deal with their own emergencies.

Here’s what the Republican candidate had to say when asked whether FEMA should be shut down:

“Absolutely. Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?”

When moderator, John King, responded “Including disaster relief, though?”, Mitt Romney had this to say—

“We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids.It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.

http://www.forbes.co...-the-gop-today/

#39 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Spineless politicians who don't want to be blamed for the problems blame others and then when electrical workers get there, they are attacked.

http://www.foxnews.c...m-by-residents/

I think Obama should on national TV tonight with his telethon and sing some Al Green for these folks. Then blame it on Bush, or better yet, appear with Kanye and blame Sandy and Katrina on Bush. That should help those folks who are cold and hungry

#40 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Also, looks like a great "global warming" advocate like Bloomberg would have been better prepared for the rising seas. Guess your beliefs only go so far.

#41 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

New Jersey Governor Christie has, today, gone on record making it very clear that he not only wants FEMA aid, he wants it now and he is in no mood to see New Jersey residents get caught in the political cross-fire as Republicans in Congress look to find offsetting budget cuts to pay for the huge amount of aid that FEMA will be expected to provide in the face of what looks to be a $100 billion dollar financial catastrophe.

Resp0nding to House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s latest statement that he is not interested in FEMA helping unless and until offsets can be located, Christie had this to add—

“You want to figure out budget cuts, that’s fine,” Governor Christie said. “You’re going to turn it into a fiasco like that debt-limit thing where you’re fighting with each other for eight or nine weeks and you expect the citizens of my state to wait? They’re not gonna wait, and I’m going to fight to make sure that they don’t.”

Gov. Christie noted that this was not a partisan issue. To further drive home the point, he introduced New Jersey Democratic Senator Frank Lautenberg to add his own two cents on the subject.

“We are gonna fight like hell against those who want to cut back on FEMA”s funding,” the Senator said. “We cannot do this without lots of money.”

Indeed, so concerned is Governor Christies that the feds be there for him now that he needs them, he went so far as to compliment President Obama yesterday saying, ““I appreciated the president’s outreach today in making sure that we know he’s watching this and is concerned about the health and welfare and safety of the people of the state of New Jersey.”

#42 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

New Jersey Governor Christie has, today, gone on record making it very clear that he not only wants FEMA aid, he wants it now and he is in no mood to see New Jersey residents get caught in the political cross-fire as Republicans in Congress look to find offsetting budget cuts to pay for the huge amount of aid that FEMA will be expected to provide in the face of what looks to be a $100 billion dollar financial catastrophe.

Resp0nding to House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s latest statement that he is not interested in FEMA helping unless and until offsets can be located, Christie had this to add—

“You want to figure out budget cuts, that’s fine,” Governor Christie said. “You’re going to turn it into a fiasco like that debt-limit thing where you’re fighting with each other for eight or nine weeks and you expect the citizens of my state to wait? They’re not gonna wait, and I’m going to fight to make sure that they don’t.”

Gov. Christie noted that this was not a partisan issue. To further drive home the point, he introduced New Jersey Democratic Senator Frank Lautenberg to add his own two cents on the subject.

“We are gonna fight like hell against those who want to cut back on FEMA”s funding,” the Senator said. “We cannot do this without lots of money.”

Indeed, so concerned is Governor Christies that the feds be there for him now that he needs them, he went so far as to compliment President Obama yesterday saying, ““I appreciated the president’s outreach today in making sure that we know he’s watching this and is concerned about the health and welfare and safety of the people of the state of New Jersey.”

lol it looks like people who claim that the federal government isn't any good are the cause of it not being any good. Self fulfilling prophecy.

#43 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Once again, Obama is never at fault.

He has the greatest job in the world. Poo all over the country and his "minute men" run out to defend him. Problems? Can't ever be associated with him. Just like my teenage son.

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

#45 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,356 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Once again, I bet all the cold, wet, hungry folks feel good because Obama came in and got his picture took. Then, off to Vegas

Walking around smiling is about his best attribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.