• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#46 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

There is no doubt that FEMA has a role. That is why Romney has never ever said it should be dismantled. FEMA's job it to coordinate relief assets from various local, state and federal agencies. But they shouldn't own the assets.

#47 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Well if he had a car elevator that would be his best attribute but he doesn't have one

#48 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

There is no doubt that FEMA has a role. That is why Romney has never ever said it should be dismantled. FEMA's job it to coordinate relief assets from various local, state and federal agencies. But they shouldn't own the assets.

Here’s what the Republican candidate had to say when asked whether FEMA should be shut down:

“Absolutely. Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking, in the federal budget, what we should cut, we should ask the opposite question, what should we keep?”

When moderator, John King, responded “Including disaster relief, though?”, Mitt Romney had this to say—

“We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids.It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.

No it's not. He's actually taking it farther than you did, suggesting that he would rather see private companies do this. You are making this up.

#49 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

No it's not. He's actually taking it farther than you did, suggesting that he would rather see private companies do this. You are making this up.

Do you have the actual wording of the questions? Or am I just suppose to take your word for it?

#50 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

From Romney

“I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters,” Romney said in a statement. “As president, I will ensure FEMA has the funding it needs to fulfill its mission, while directing maximum resources to the first responders who work tirelessly to help those in need, because states and localities are in the best position to get aid to the individuals and communities affected by natural disasters.”

Sounds like the right approach.

#51 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

KING: What else, Governor Romney? You've been a chief executive of a state. I was just in Joplin, Missouri. I've been in Mississippi and Louisiana and Tennessee and other communities dealing with whether it's the tornadoes, the flooding, and worse. FEMA is about to run out of money, and there are some people who say do it on a case-by-case basis and some people who say, you know, maybe we're learning a lesson here that the states should take on more of this role. How do you deal with something like that?

ROMNEY: Absolutely. Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that's even better.

Instead of thinking in the federal budget, what we should cut -- we should ask ourselves the opposite question. What should we keep? We should take all of what we're doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we're doing that we don't have to do? And those things we've got to stop doing, because we're borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we're taking in. We cannot...

KING: Including disaster relief, though?

ROMNEY: We cannot -- we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we'll all be dead and gone before it's paid off. It makes no sense at all.

Number 1, its a stupid answer, because if you farm all this stuff out to the states, people are still going to pay for it with taxes.
Number 2, he did specifically say he'd somehow like private companies to take responsibility for disaster management.
Number 3, he never mentioned anything about keeping FEMA, or it had a role...just that the states or private companies should do it to reduce the deficit. That means that yes, he would get rid of FEMA.

#52 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

lol it looks like people who claim that the federal government isn't any good are the cause of it not being any good. Self fulfilling prophecy.

The cons on here are just like Governor Chris Christie. They all talk a good game until their federal feed wagon of benefits is threatened.

Neocon: "United States Postal Service is a bloated waste of taxpayer dollars."

Lib: "Did you hear the USPS wants to close our local post office?"

Neocon: "That is outrageous! I'm contacting my Congressman to get that stopped!"

Neocon: "I am tired of my hard earned tax dollars being wasted by those fat cats in DC!"

Lib: "Good news! The feds want to close the local military base to save money."

Neocon: "That is outrageous! It will ruin my small business and our local economy! I'm contacting my Senators and Congressman at once to get that stopped!

We may very well end up like Greece before this is over, but it will be the GOP and their tax cuts without corresponding spending cuts that will get us there.

Just to review:

Posted Image

#53 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

From Romney

“I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters,” Romney said in a statement. “As president, I will ensure FEMA has the funding it needs to fulfill its mission, while directing maximum resources to the first responders who work tirelessly to help those in need, because states and localities are in the best position to get aid to the individuals and communities affected by natural disasters.”

Sounds like the right approach.

Sounds to me like Romney finally read FEMA's Mission Statement.

Posted Image
Antioch, Tenn., July 9, 2010 -- The FEMA Mission Statement is clearly visible at the DR-1909 Joint Field Office in Antioch Tennessee. Head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency Craig Fugate changed the mission statement in September of 2009 to a more modest and collaborative pledge. Martin Grube/FEMA

#54 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Number 1, its a stupid answer, because if you farm all this stuff out to the states, people are still going to pay for it with taxes.
Number 2, he did specifically say he'd somehow like private companies to take responsibility for disaster management.
Number 3, he never mentioned anything about keeping FEMA, or it had a role...just that the states or private companies should do it to reduce the deficit. That means that yes, he would get rid of FEMA.

Thats ridiculous. So if I say what can be farmed out to the states should be, that means I want to get rid of that agency? No, it doesn't.

But its ok because Obama is likely to win. Four more years of nothingness. But who knows, maybe he will get a super majority again so he can spend a year getting one or two things done.

#55 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Just to review:

Extremely simple question.
Requires 2 Dollar figure answers only.
No charts, no BS.

National debt was ~ 10.6 Trillion when Obama came in to Office.

What is it today?

What is it projected to be at current term end?

For extra credit, what does the Obama Administration estimate it would be at the end of two terms?

#56 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

If that's what we go by you were the worst President of all time bro.

#57 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Once again, I bet all the cold, wet, hungry folks feel good because Obama came in and got his picture took. Then, off to Vegas

Walking around smiling is about his best attribute.

Two more than you have.

#58 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

No charts, no BS.

What is it today?

For extra credit, what does the Obama Administration estimate it would be at the end of two terms?

oh hey fug off reagan

Posted Image

Perhaps it may seem insensitive and unpatriotic to some for me to run such an ugly cartoon at this time of national mourning. To those of you who hold this view, I must respectfully say fug you. Some of my younger readers may not even remember Ronald Regan’s presidency, and I would not want them to be misled by the onslaught of state propaganda they’ll be subjected to this week. Calling him the Great Communicator is like calling Hitler the Great Negotiator, and if we’re going to credit him with winning the Cold War we may as well credit him with the Challenger disaster and the return of Halley’s Comet. Let me tell you what it was really like:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country's wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn't know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys' adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter's Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.

#59 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

No charts, no BS.

What is it today?

Ron, there you go again... I see your are still a little sensitive about your 189% budget busting federal deficit increase!

No point crying over spilt milk, there is not much we can do about that now, it is one for the ages.

Sorry to say, you are hardly in a position to be pointing out other president's faults. Yes, the income of the top 1% nearly doubled during your years in office, but income for middle class Americans barely increased and it actually decreased after inflation for the bottom 25%.

Guess what Ron? The verdict is in, your voodoo/supply-side economics and the trickledown theory don't work, never have, never will!

The deficit numbers that you seem concerned about tend to occur when the world economy takes a dump.

You can thank your lower taxes, less regulation, more crony capitalism and more war protégés on Wall St and in Washington DC for that.

If you don't like the numbers maybe you should have lodged your concerns a little earlier, like a decade ago, when the Bush Administration and their banker buddies were turning a federal surplus into a world wide economic collapse for Obama to inherit.

Not to worry though, I hear there is someone running for the White House that wants to continue cutting taxes while increasing the world's largest military budget at the same time! With that kind of thinking what could possibly go wrong?

#60 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.