Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you like to keep Rivera

Keep Rivera as DC?   156 votes

1. 1. Would you keep Rivera as DC if you had the decision to make?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

As DC if he gets fired as head coach? I think the reason our D is half respectable is due more to his efforts than it is to Mcdermott - I wonder what the chance would be for a new hc and gm keeping him here as a DC if he agreed to stay?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hell yea. The best hybrid and 4-3 DC in the league.

Posted · Report post

Doubt it will happen

Posted · Report post

He can kiss his head coaching career goodbye after this season that's for damn sure
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hes got to be pretty well settled into the Charlotte area - it would make sense for him to stick around and for JR to pick a sh t hot OC as head coach.

Posted · Report post

There should be a "hell no" option. I am sick of Rivera, whether or not he could still be a capable DC. We need to move on.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Conflict of interest.. we need a clean house

Posted · Report post

I'd take him as a DC, but no way he would take that demotion. Some guys are good coordinators, but just aren't meant to be head coaches. I think Rivera and Chud fit that mold, although Chud isn't looking great as a play caller this year.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Billicheat sucked in Cleveland before success in NewEngland, so while Rivera blows chunks here I wouldn't say never again a head coach.

As our defensive coordinator l don't see it happening.

Posted · Report post

Rivera as DC > Rivera as HC
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='DaveThePanther2008' timestamp='1351878840' post='1976372']
Billicheat sucked in Cleveland before success in NewEngland, so while Rivera blows chunks here I wouldn't say never again a head coach.

As our defensive coordinator l don't see it happening.
[/quote]

Belichick took the Browns to the playoffs in 1994...Rivera will never lead the Panthers to the playoffs.

Posted · Report post

if there's going to be a HC change he needs to come in with his own fresh new staff.

we don't make enough clean breaks around here.

Posted · Report post

Has that EVER happened? I do not see it under any circumstance.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MHS831' timestamp='1351879734' post='1976386']
Has that EVER happened? I do not see it under any circumstance.
[/quote]
yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous notion.

rivera would have no problem finding another DC job after here. no need for him to stick around and the team needs a complete break from the old staff, esp. if they still like the coach (which i don't doubt is the case).
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I fear the weak schedule from here through january will keep him here another year. I see us winning 5 of the last 9 games. Some of the comments have suggested how other coaches failed before succeeding.

Rivera has shown a complete and total inability to manage games. He has young, inexperienced coordinators. Do you see him chatting with them? He is detatched and that has shown his inability to manage football games. When you do not attempt a FG because it is windy and you might miss and it could negatively impact the kicker's self-esteem, you are afraid. WHen you decide to throw a hail mary instead (one that could get intercepted and hurt the struggling QB's confidence) that has a much lower chance of succeeding, you are stupid. Wnen you refuse to adjust to the opponent's damage to make them "systemically beat us," you are stubborn and aftraid and stupid.
The fact that he has displayed ignorance and is a bit arrogant about it suggests that there is no chemistry or talent issue at play. We are being outcoached every week.

Except for New Orleans, because they do not have a coach and their interim was suspended too. That was a chess match.

Posted · Report post

Has that ever even happened in the NFL....there is no way if i got fired as a coach I'd stay on as the DC. That scenario doesn't even begin to make sense. Keeping assistants, that happens, but you don't see coaches coming back to the same team with a lesser role.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Oh yea, Id love to keep Rivera as a Janitor at Bank of America Stadium.

Posted · Report post

He has 9 games left to turn things around. I am in favor of waiting to see how we do the rest of the way and deciding then. Making a decision now makes no sense.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

i accidentally voted yes.

sorry guys

Posted · Report post

Seriously? Yeah, I'm sure being fired/demoted would work wonders on his attitude and positivity.

Posted · Report post

I don't look for Ron Rivera to be back next year in any shape or form...The only way Rivera keeps his HC job is if this team miraculously wins all of the remaining "toss up" games (of our 16 game schedule, most of them could have gone either way, as shown by the close losses). Even if we finish the season 7-2, he's probably gone. A new GM will probably want to bring in his own coach, and not one that had just gone 8-8
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Demotions never work out well...gotta completely clean house
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MHS831' timestamp='1351880305' post='1976394']
I fear the weak schedule from here through january will keep him here another year. I see us winning 5 of the last 9 games. Some of the comments have suggested how other coaches failed before succeeding.

Rivera has shown a complete and total inability to manage games. He has young, inexperienced coordinators. Do you see him chatting with them? He is detatched and that has shown his inability to manage football games. [b]When you do not attempt a FG because it is windy and you might miss and it could negatively impact the kicker's self-esteem, you are afraid. WHen you decide to throw a hail mary instead (one that could get intercepted and hurt the struggling QB's confidence) that has a much lower chance of succeeding, you are stupid. [/b] Wnen you refuse to adjust to the opponent's damage to make them "systemically beat us," you are stubborn and aftraid and stupid.
The fact that he has displayed ignorance and is a bit arrogant about it suggests that there is no chemistry or talent issue at play. We are being outcoached every week.

Except for New Orleans, because they do not have a coach and their interim was suspended too. That was a chess match.
[/quote]

stupid is not keeping the "hailmary" pass in the field of play.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='GolfRasta' timestamp='1351878404' post='1976366']
I'd take him as a DC, but no way he would take that demotion. Some guys are good coordinators, but just aren't meant to be head coaches. I think Rivera and Chud fit that mold, although Chud isn't looking great as a play caller this year.
[/quote]

Fired coaches frequently take demotions when they move to other teams. It would be either be that, or he'd be retained. I can't recall a head coach ever just getting demoted within his current organization. Sometimes coaches lower in the hierarchy are retained or promoted, but head coaches never get to stay if they lose the top job.