- - - - -

Would you like to keep Rivera

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Keep Rivera as DC? (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you keep Rivera as DC if you had the decision to make?

1. Voted Yes (50 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

2. Voted No (106 votes [67.95%])

Percentage of vote: 67.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous notion.

rivera would have no problem finding another DC job after here. no need for him to stick around and the team needs a complete break from the old staff, esp. if they still like the coach (which i don't doubt is the case).

The eagles would pick him up

#32 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'd like to see Beane has GM and Rivera given one more season before we make drastic changes.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

The eagles would pick him up

and they would be brilliant for doing it.

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see Beane has GM and Rivera given one more season before we make drastic changes.

i don't approve of rivera's coaching thus far...but i grudgingly lean in this direction.

there is no guarantee that the new FO and coaching staff would be any better (which in itself is not a great reason for not turning things over) and i'd like to see some stability on the team. turning things over again may not have a great effect on team morale heading into next year and getting things back on track could still take a couple years. i don't want a frustrated franchise QB to walk away because they were looking for a more stable situation.

having a HC change should be an absolute last resort.

again, i'm pulling for rivera, not because i particularly like him, but because i don't want the team to go through another restructuring so soon after the last one.

#35 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

our defense still soft with him taking more control hell no

guys like Clark Kent, Norman need a real teacher to have them becoming stars

#36 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Only time will tell if he gets fired. Hopefully he can salvage this bad season a try to sabe his job!

#37 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Has that EVER happened? I do not see it under any circumstance.

occasionally a coordinator will receive a demotion and stay, but there's no precedent for it leaguewide and it takes both sides to want that to happen. Richard Williamson stepped down from OC back to WR s coach between 01-02, Ron Meeks went from '10 coordinator to '11 DBs coach. But for the most part, firing a coach means severing ties with him. Ron Rivera's a brilliant DC who will work well for someone next year.

#38 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

occasionally a coordinator will receive a demotion and stay, but there's no precedent for it leaguewide and it takes both sides to want that to happen. Richard Williamson stepped down from OC back to WR s coach between 01-02, Ron Meeks went from '10 coordinator to '11 DBs coach. But for the most part, firing a coach means severing ties with him. Ron Rivera's a brilliant DC who will work well for someone next year.

Yeah, I remember Meeks, and they fired him as db coach if I remember right. We saw a bit of a new Rivera today, but 2 things bothered me. First, he has to force himself to be aggressive. Second, the indecision. The announcer made a comment about the challenge--RR questioned the decision to challenge, and then won. Then he had to take a timeout to decide to try the long field goal-and he discussed it with the kicker before making the decision.

Frankly, I think it was due to the criticism from last week. I though a punt was the right call there, but I understand kicking the FG. What i do not get is the fact that the decision took so many forms before he made it.

#39 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Still no, im not easily blinded by one win.

#40 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I think he stinks but I have always thought that HC should get a chance in his 3rd year. I hope he is our HC on a thin rope next August.

#41 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, I remember Meeks, and they fired him as db coach if I remember right. We saw a bit of a new Rivera today, but 2 things bothered me. First, he has to force himself to be aggressive. Second, the indecision. The announcer made a comment about the challenge--RR questioned the decision to challenge, and then won. Then he had to take a timeout to decide to try the long field goal-and he discussed it with the kicker before making the decision.

Frankly, I think it was due to the criticism from last week. I though a punt was the right call there, but I understand kicking the FG. What i do not get is the fact that the decision took so many forms before he made it.

good post - I saw the same things- but maybe the guy is growing into his HC position - some times it takes a bit of a refocus to become the guy that is the last place for the buck to stop at.

I really think he is suffering from a lack of experience in the offensive realm.

#42 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't want to overhaul anything at this point, I'd name Beane as the GM for next year and tell RR that's his final audition. They're a young team and young staff, they're all learning together.

#43 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

good post - I saw the same things- but maybe the guy is growing into his HC position - some times it takes a bit of a refocus to become the guy that is the last place for the buck to stop at.

I really think he is suffering from a lack of experience in the offensive realm.

I agree, Tom. He needs an old, 30-year veteran coach to help him out. Instead, everybody is rather young and new--like him.

#44 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't want to overhaul anything at this point, I'd name Beane as the GM for next year and tell RR that's his final audition. They're a young team and young staff, they're all learning together.

If we play like we did today, I feel that we can win most of the remaining games. A knee-jerk reaction is not what the team needs. I am with you on this.

My only reservation? I want to see Rivera become more of a leader/decision maker. today he made the right decisions for hte most part, but was awkward about it. Maybe winning fixes that.

If we can beat the Broncos, we could go on a bit of a run. WIthout leadership, it won't happen.

#45 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,405 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

If we play like we did today, I feel that we can win most of the remaining games. A knee-jerk reaction is not what the team needs. I am with you on this.

My only reservation? I want to see Rivera become more of a leader/decision maker. today he made the right decisions for hte most part, but was awkward about it. Maybe winning fixes that.

If we can beat the Broncos, we could go on a bit of a run. WIthout leadership, it won't happen.

We have played like we did today, we just didn't finish. If not for maybe 10 plays before today we're right behind Atl, SF and NY in the best in the NFL conversation. Rivera went from a job where he had one focus to many and he's learning the hard way about how much work and attention that HC job commands.

He needs to be held accountable, but I really, honestly feel we're on the cusp and cutting ties and overhauling will be a big mistake. The D is getting better, the O is getting back to where they were and ST's aren't making the mistakes we saw last year.

If Rivera can work on clock management and keep Chud on track I think the sky is the limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.