- - - - -

Would you like to keep Rivera

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Keep Rivera as DC? (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you keep Rivera as DC if you had the decision to make?

1. Voted Yes (50 votes [32.05%])

Percentage of vote: 32.05%

2. Voted No (106 votes [67.95%])

Percentage of vote: 67.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#25 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I'd take him as a DC, but no way he would take that demotion. Some guys are good coordinators, but just aren't meant to be head coaches. I think Rivera and Chud fit that mold, although Chud isn't looking great as a play caller this year.

Fired coaches frequently take demotions when they move to other teams. It would be either be that, or he'd be retained. I can't recall a head coach ever just getting demoted within his current organization. Sometimes coaches lower in the hierarchy are retained or promoted, but head coaches never get to stay if they lose the top job.

#26 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Rivera probably won't have a choice to take that demotion if things keep going downhill however I think once you're the head coach of a certain team, going to the DC on the same team doesn't seem like it'd work with the players.

#27 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

No chance in hell he would be the DC if he was relieved as HC.

#28 TonyN

TonyN

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I voted YES, but it will never happen of course. Not because Rivera is not a damn good DC, but because demotions don't work in high profile leadership jobs. And Rivera will be able to get good gig somewhere else.

It is just amazing to me how someone as "stupid" and "inflexible" as Ron Rivera can be the DC of a Superbowl team--a Superbowl team with Rex Grossman at quarterback. Not all good DC's are cut out to be head coaches, but I would wager a good deal of money there has NEVER been a good NFL DC who was "stupid" and "inflexible". You simply cannot be "inflexible" and be a good DC at the NFL level.

Rivera must also be a master thespian, because he does a damn good job of sounding intelligent in press conferences.

The man has made many mistakes, the one indefensible one being to allow Chudzinski--and probably Newton and Hurney--to convince him to adopt the zone read as Carolina's base offense.

GM

#29 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

He has 9 games left to turn things around. I am in favor of waiting to see how we do the rest of the way and deciding then. Making a decision now makes no sense.

Sadly 55, I have seen enough. Rivera "turned things around" last season. What the heck happened with last year's progress? Game planning, play calling, and game management have been awful. I hate to admit that. I wanted this to work.

#30 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Meeks did go from DC to secondary coach, but that's a bit different from HC to DC. I think I'd personally be too embarrassed to hang around after being fired.

#31 Match.com

Match.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

yeah, it's kind of a ridiculous notion.

rivera would have no problem finding another DC job after here. no need for him to stick around and the team needs a complete break from the old staff, esp. if they still like the coach (which i don't doubt is the case).

The eagles would pick him up

#32 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'd like to see Beane has GM and Rivera given one more season before we make drastic changes.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

The eagles would pick him up

and they would be brilliant for doing it.

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see Beane has GM and Rivera given one more season before we make drastic changes.

i don't approve of rivera's coaching thus far...but i grudgingly lean in this direction.

there is no guarantee that the new FO and coaching staff would be any better (which in itself is not a great reason for not turning things over) and i'd like to see some stability on the team. turning things over again may not have a great effect on team morale heading into next year and getting things back on track could still take a couple years. i don't want a frustrated franchise QB to walk away because they were looking for a more stable situation.

having a HC change should be an absolute last resort.

again, i'm pulling for rivera, not because i particularly like him, but because i don't want the team to go through another restructuring so soon after the last one.

#35 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

our defense still soft with him taking more control hell no

guys like Clark Kent, Norman need a real teacher to have them becoming stars

#36 Match.com

Match.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Only time will tell if he gets fired. Hopefully he can salvage this bad season a try to sabe his job!