Photo
- - - - -

The zone read has made Carolina a bad running team, but...

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,783 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Will look into this "johari's window" you speak of. I'm all about self improvement. Not ashamed or too proud to know I'm not perfect

here's some resources to get you started

johari window self-test

a screening test for other disorders

a few books that might be of interest to you

some destin, FL area clinics

good luck chris, we're rooting for you

#32 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Nobody said I was leaving the site... But then again after your 80th bong hit of the "sweetest medical marijuana in SoCal" I wouldn't expect your reading comprehension to be above a 2nd grade level. There are plenty of other posters here that are married, so u missed the point on that one as well.

Only reason I tolerated your jackassery is because you're a fellow Canez fan.

Feel sorry for me? Lol yeah you go right ahead there buddy... Ill be retired when I'm 38... Meanwhile you'll still be doing the same thing as you are today, as when I'm retired...smoking weed, posting on the huddle, and looking for your next job. I will take your advice though, and get off for now. This isn't entertaining, it's pathetic

I can't even argue with you haha, you use the same comebacks that little kids use on facebook, I refuse to even respond to that.

You're a joke man, your credibility and respect on this site are about as good as your fantasy football record.

*Takes another rip because marijuana > alcohol you fugging ignorant alcoholic*

#33 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Obvious TonyN alt account, 'Gucci Mane' REALLY?

LMAOOO!!! Gucci!!!

#34 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

LMAOOO!!! Gucci!!!

whats trappenin

#35 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Agreed. I think someone needs to sit down and educate Cam on film watching. Has anyone ever seen him make an adjustment on the fly due to defensive looks? I'm a huge Cam fan, but when he makes the wrong choice on the zone read (pulling when the DE crashes/ handing off when the DE sits), it makes me question his football IQ.

Actually I am a complete novice in this game of American football, but SHOULDN'T the QB keep when the DE/LB crashes and hand off if he sits?

I thought maybe you just made a mistake in your original post...

Had to laugh last year when some people kept asking why Denver didn't have The Golden Calf of Bristol run more often...

As brutally inconsistant a passer as he is, the man almost always makes the correct read in the option...

#36 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

whats trappenin

And how do you think Chip Kelley's Inside Zone read and Outside Zone read concepts translate at the NFL level?

I personally believe the better discipline of NFL defensive players, coupled with their improved make-up speed and greater ability to defeat individual blocks would render his system far less effective...

#37 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Actually I am a complete novice in this game of American football, but SHOULDN'T the QB keep when the DE/LB crashes and hand off if he sits?

I thought maybe you just made a mistake in your original post...

Had to laugh last year when some people kept asking why Denver didn't have The Golden Calf of Bristol run more often...

As brutally inconsistant a passer as he is, the man almost always makes the correct read in the option...

Yea youre right, i reversed it while drunk. If the backside DE is sitting, the play is to hand the ball off. If hes crashing hard, thats when he can keep it and run off in that direction.

Now, when we run the "inverted veer", on outside runs, Cam does a sweep read which watches the tackle instead of the end. And most likely that tackle is left unblocked so the OG can pull.

#38 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

And how do you think Chip Kelley's Inside Zone read and Outside Zone read concepts translate at the NFL level?

I personally believe the better discipline of NFL defensive players, coupled with their improved make-up speed and greater ability to defeat individual blocks would render his system far less effective...

I don't really think the zone read offense has a place as a base offense in the NFL. It's too reliant on the speed differences of the offense vs defense. Plus the quality of D-Lines in the NFL are too disciplined to get trapped by setting up the outside zone read by means of the inside zone read. Chip Kelly is a fantastic coach and knows how to play to his players strengths, as well as recruiting those types of players that can work in the offense.

#39 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Yea youre right, i reversed it while drunk. If the backside DE is sitting, the play is to hand the ball off. If hes crashing hard, thats when he can keep it and run off in that direction.

Now, when we run the "inverted veer", on outside runs, Cam does a sweep read which watches the tackle instead of the end. And most likely that tackle is left unblocked so the OG can pull.

Bringing up the Veer brings back fond memories...

I remember when Art Baker used to run it at the Citadel...

With the "Wide Tackle 6" defense...LOL...

Those were the days...

#40 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

here's some resources to get you started

johari window self-test

a screening test for other disorders

a few books that might be of interest to you

some destin, FL area clinics

good luck chris, we're rooting for you

56% avoidant right here. The others were low.

#41 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

No worse than many others.

Remove Cam Newton from last years rushing stats:
The Panthers (other than Newton) averaged 5.3 yards per attempt. Good. Damn Good. Very Damn Good. Best in the League good...even without Newton's rushes and scrambles figured in.

Fast forward to this year.
Assume that Cam Newton has made the correct read in every situation and given the ball to a RB.
Remove his scrambles.
In short, subtract his rushing stats completely and the Panthers are averaging 3.7 yards per attempt.
Bad. Very Bad. BUT no worse than:

Arizona 3.5
Dallas 3.6
N.O. 3.7
Oak 3.7
Miami 3.7
G.B. 3.7
Pitts 3.7
Jax 3.8
Atl 3.8

It is important to remember that when you line up in the shotgun and don't run the zone read...

You are passing out of the shotgun.

Nothing fundamentally changes within the passing game at that point.

You are simply passing out of the shotgun like every other team that passes out of the shotgun.

Huge flaw in just taking Newton out of last years equation and thinking it holds true. From week 1 forward....he actually helped everyone with the attention that was on his arm and legs.

#42 TonyN

TonyN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Huge flaw in just taking Newton out of last years equation and thinking it holds true. From week 1 forward....he actually helped everyone with the attention that was on his arm and legs.

You can never just "erase" any players contributions from an offense, obviously. Especially, the quarterback's. No need to. The point reamains just as valid. The Panthers had a great rushing attack last year for a number of reasons. Newton was one of those reasons. It helped their passing game tremendously.

This year, the Panthers have struggled to run the ball. Several factors have played into that. Including Newton's poor execution of the zone read.

He has to complete passes in tougher spots this year. He finds himself in many obvious passing situations. Just like any number of other quarterbacks...

And he has responded very poorly in those situations.

As a matter of fact, Carolina is statistically the worst passing team in the NFL on 2nd and 3rd down...

Newton has an unlimited ceiling. He needs to relax. He needs to make better decisions. He needs to improve his mechanics. He needs to stop locking onto receivers. He needs to stop playing, as Mark Schlereth calls it, "hero ball".

#43 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

And he has responded very poorly in those situations.

As a matter of fact, Carolina is statistically the worst passing team in the NFL on 2nd and 3rd down...

Newton has an unlimited ceiling. He needs to relax. He needs to make better decisions. He needs to improve his mechanics. He needs to stop locking onto receivers. He needs to stop playing, as Mark Schlereth calls it, "hero ball".

Exactly, Newton trying to set fire to the ball with his passes are getting annoying.. Put some touch on it and sacrifice blazing velocity for a little more accuracy. I think he feels like no one will pick it off if he throws it 100000mph.

#44 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

TonyN doesn't have anyone else to agree with him, so he has to create another account that does! :)

#45 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

TonyN doesn't have anyone else to agree with him, so he has to create another account that does! :)

Well, TCF agreed with him too...but I guess that isn't saying much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com