- - - - -

Could Byron Bell be a franchise Left Tackle some day?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#25 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Talk about an overreaction. Yes, I do watch the Panthers. I also disagree with your statement about him being the best offensive lineman. However, even if he was, that's not saying much. The OL is a disaster and it doesn't take much to be the best.

Ok. Tell me about your credentials about scouting talent. Because Victor Cruz was an undrafted free agent and you know that he is good now means that you are a great talent evaluator? OK. Also, show me where I said that if you go undrafted then you are not good. I didn't. Byron Bell DID go undrafted because HE was not very good. With that being said, just because one guy turned out to be a stud after not being drafted does not mean that every guy being drafted will turn out to be great. That is a logical fallacy. For every Victor Cruz, there are hundreds of guys that turn out to be nothing. There are also ma...ny who turn out to be adequate, but not great (Byron Bell- as of now). Just because I don't think Bell is a franchise tackle makes me a "Bell hater"? OK

Also, show me where I even mentioned a Gamecock in my post at all. Please. I beg you. I never brought them up but you did. How does that make me a "raging Cock homer"? If you are referring to my user name then I can tell you why it is GamecockSmitty4: I joined my first message board a few years back and came up with a name. Seeing that it was a Gamecock board, I naturally went with "Gamecock". To set me out from the other "Gamecock"_____'s, I decided to use Smitty (Steve Smith...a Carolina Panther) and the number 4 (my number). When I decided to join this board, I figured I could use the same user name so that I would not have to keep up with several different ones. I didn't realize that my user name would offend so many people and automatically qualify me as a "raging Cock homer/Bell hater". I apologize if I offended you.

The actual question was. Can he SOMEDAY? Not now, cuz that is too soon. But SOMEDAY. You seem to skip right over that fact. But keep up the good work.

#26 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

Playing for the Tie

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Luke Joeckel with our top 5 pick this year anyone?

I'd really like taking Joeckel if we pull a Rams-Redskins type trade.

Joeckel-Silatolu-Kalil-Bell-Gross

#27 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Too early to tell. I have to wait for McShay and that hair guy to tell me who we need.

Although, a Tackle seems to be counterproductive at this time. We still have two. Why waste a first on another?

And, I would prefer our first be a DB with ball hawking skills and the ability to cover and tackle.

#28 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

lol..

I doubt it. Solid depth maybe, but not a franchise guy. I think he will get some competition that will beat him out in FA or the draft.

Plus Gross isn't done yet. Gawd this O-line atm is just so suspect.

#29 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

He would be lucky to make the two deep on most teams in the NFL..

Kinda like Munnerlyn.

#30 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Kinda like Munnerlyn.

Captain could make a lot of teams as a nickel CB. Not really his fault we are so weak we play him as a #2 CB.

#31 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Captain could make a lot of teams as a nickel CB. Not really his fault we are so weak we play him as a #2 CB.

And Byron couldn't? Byron has been consistent and has gotten MUCH better than last year, I often see Gross get beat more times than him.

#32 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Jesus christ. No. Our oline is one of the worst in the NFL. Bell isn't the biggest hole, but he's not exactly a high quality NFL starter either. He would be a rotational player at best on a more respectable NFL franchise.

#33 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I am a person who thinks any team should draft OL every year in the first 4 rounds. Having said that, I think Gross is not doing great, but not that badly. Does he qualify as a need? Maybe, if you look at the cost of cutting / trading him. I think RG is by far the biggest need and I beleive we will draft another guard in the second round this year.

I think we have to draft a T in the first round---a DT. This is a good draft for them.

I think we will have to draft a LT in 2014,

#34 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

Moderators

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Byron Bell plays Xbox with fans, I hope he stays around for a while.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Not a Bell hater, but would rather have Bell at right guard. Left tackle? Can't see it happening.

I'd love to see Bell move inside and get someone else for the right tackle spot.

#36 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

I am a person who thinks any team should draft OL every year in the first 4 rounds. Having said that, I think Gross is not doing great, but not that badly. Does he qualify as a need? Maybe, if you look at the cost of cutting / trading him. I think RG is by far the biggest need and I beleive we will draft another guard in the second round this year.

I think we have to draft a T in the first round---a DT. This is a good draft for them.

I think we will have to draft a LT in 2014,

As almost everyone knows. You cannot have too much depth where it comes to your lines. So I am not adverse to drafting linemen in any draft. Offensive or Defensive.

We still have Gross. Kallil should be good as new. Bell has RT, and Amini has LG. Add a RG and we should be good to go. I just don't think it is that big of a need to use our 1st rounder on one. Anything after that is fine. Same with DT. We need one, just not for a first.

We need to spend that first on a S. One that has ball hawking and coverage skills, that can tackle. One that could change the culture of our Defensive Backfield.

Hell. Get the RG, DT, and S in FA. Spend the draft on BPA. And watch our stock climb.

Oh yea. And GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1