Photo
- - - - -

The impact of play action on our offense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#13 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Good points and I agree that it is a simplistic view. On the surface though it is a concerning statistic regardless of the finer details you mentioned and its worth investigating more into as the above info represents Cams averages.

Truth be told. I believe it is a matter of Cam and Chud trying to do too much. Chud calls so many plays that fail. That when he dials up a pass, Cam is trying too hard to complete that pass. Cam is out of rhythm, and out of sorts. Call more plays he is comfortable with and his play could improve.

We aren't a WCO. But that doesn't mean you have to throw every pass down the field. We have 3 backs that can do something with the ball. Yet they get very few chances. Those type passes raise Cam's %, and give the O a shot in the arm.

#14 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

"We might as well not have one."

"This is one of the top ten derps of all time. Dude, you are hilarious."

You obviously don't know what sarcasm is.

"We just played the #1 D in the league. Did you expect us to just dominate? Evidently the answer is yes. So I guess it was a bad question to ask you."

It's been going on all season, where have you been? -_-

#15 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Cam is pressured on 32% of passing plays. Sound high? Well that's 13th highest in the NFL so it's about average. Unfortunately the pressure really does get to Cam though. He's completed just 50% of throws when under pressure when you remove drops, throw aways, and passes where he was hit as he threw (his base completion is 37.3). That's better than only mark Sanchez.

So our OLine is about average in giving up pressure, but Cam suffers more than every QB other than Sanchez when he is under pressure. It really isn't all on the OLine.

Now that is disconcerning. Every QB gets pressure. But, I thought Cam was doing better than that. Even if he is holding on to the ball too long. That is still a low completion %.

Then again. If he could learn how to find those checkdowns occasionally. That could help his confidence. His completion %, and frustrate the D all at the same time.

I know Cam is young. And he loves those big plays as well. But not every play has to be a homerun. You can frustrate the D in many ways.Just completing passes and moving the chains can piss a D off big time.

I guess that is what is so frustrating for me. The big play mentality with Cam and Chud.

#16 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

You obviously don't know what sarcasm is.

It's been going on all season, where have you been? -_-

Yea, because hiding sarcasm in the middle of a rant is the best place for folks to find it.

My take is. Chud is more to blame than the play of our Oline. Diversify the O and it may make a world of difference for the line. Losing Kalil was huge. Having hangman at G was bad enough. Now he is at C. Ouch.

Too many factors to blame the Oline imo. Opposing D's can rush the read option the same way they rush the pass. All out. That does not help your Oline one bit. Diversify and it slows down the D. Not much, but maybe enough to make a difference.

Nutkick Chud back to reality and this team will take off. Let Chud continue, and we are who we are.

#17 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yea, because hiding sarcasm in the middle of a rant is the best place for folks to find it.

My take is. Chud is more to blame than the play of our Oline. Diversify the O and it may make a world of difference for the line. Losing Kalil was huge. Having hangman at G was bad enough. Now he is at C. Ouch.

Too many factors to blame the Oline imo. Opposing D's can rush the read option the same way they rush the pass. All out. That does not help your Oline one bit. Diversify and it slows down the D. Not much, but maybe enough to make a difference.

Nutkick Chud back to reality and this team will take off. Let Chud continue, and we are who we are.

The run blocking is soooo baaaad

#18 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

The run blocking is soooo baaaad

Sorry, I am not ready to concede that point. Last week was the first time we tried to run a big boy offense. All in all, we did rather well. Against the Bears #1 D.

Continue that, and we should be alright. Go back to whatever it was we were doing before that game, and we are screwed.

Until we play a big boy Offense consistently. It will be difficult for the Oline. It does not mean they are pathetic. Just being asked to do too things they are not comfortable with.

#19 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Good post OP.

Considering the sample size, I'm sure this includes both traditional under center dropback play actions, and play fakes out of the gun.

I had noticed this to an extent earlier this year, so I started tracking how often our passes included a play fake. Although we may do more of it than most teams, I think we could still stand to do more.

#20 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Good post OP.

Considering the sample size, I'm sure this includes both traditional under center dropback play actions, and play fakes out of the gun.

I had noticed this to an extent earlier this year, so I started tracking how often our passes included a play fake. Although we may do more of it than most teams, I think we could still stand to do more.

Lots of team use a play fake out of the shotgun. Does not matter how well you run the ball. A play fake on 1 and 2 down can be effective. All you need is some hesitation and it is to your advantage.

Under center or the shotgun. A play action fake can help.