Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JakeFlake

Obama to pick Sotomayor for Supreme Court

80 posts in this topic

"In the months ahead, it will be important for those of us in the U.S. Senate to weigh her qualifications and character as well as her ability to rule fairly without undue influence from her own personal race, gender, or political preferences."Sen. Inhofe (R-OK)

holy poo these people have lost their minds.

"This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree."

-Clarence Thomas

Repubs do not publically ruin supreme court nominees. That is an exclusive dem policy. She will get probably 80 votes minimum. It is a shame that Obama picked someone who will be the intellectual inferior to everyone on the bench. Again, he saw latina and woman and signed up considering nothing else apparantly. Libs are even saying they wish he had picked someone a lot stronger that could even get in the ballpark with Scalia. Obama missed a big chance.

But again....it's Obama. I wonder if she paid her taxes.

Stop the presses! PL is totally against someone she had never heard of until a few hours ago. Who could have seen that coming?

Never said that ... simply was responding to what I've seen so far. Nice try, though. We know Demslibs would never do that .... ask Sarah Palin.

Also, if it's OK with the Dems that she bring her experiences and values with her, then I'm sure it's ok for conservative justices to do the same, right?

Unless the conservative judge is a white male. Everybody else can use race and gender to influence decisions. I really like her opinion on the court of appeals. Everbody knows that the Court of Appeals is “where policy is made”. LOLZ...scary crap.

Commentary: Sotomayor pick not based on merit

In picking Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama has confirmed that identity politics matter to him more than merit. While Judge Sotomayor exemplifies the American Dream, she would not have even been on the short list if she were not Hispanic.

To be sure, Sotomayor has a compelling story: a daughter of working-class Puerto Ricans raised in Bronx public housing projects, diagnosed with diabetes at 8, losing her father at 9, accolades at Princeton and Yale Law, ending up on the federal bench.

Again, this does not mean that Sotomayor is unqualified to be a judge -- or less qualified to be a Supreme Court justice than, say, Harriet Miers. It also does not detract from the history she would make as the first Hispanic Supreme Court nominee -- if you don't count Benjamin Cardozo, a descendant of Portuguese Jews. But a Supreme Court nomination is not a lifetime achievement award, and should not be treated as an opportunity to practice affirmative action.

I thought this was an interesting read...

Good find NC_B.

I didn't know she had da diabeetus. If that is a qualifying factor, I want to see Wilford Brimley appointed.

oatmeal.gif

I didn't know she had da diabeetus.

:lol:

so is scalia. so is thomas. why don't you care that they're fat?