Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samuel L. Jackson

You fail at religion if:

51 posts in this topic

I think most atheists would contend that they are not "worried about the unknown" but rather they are worried, or confused, by the fact that so many smart people - in an age where logic and reason dominate every other discussion - could lead their lives and in many cases predicate their lives upon a single book filled with tales and guided by an imaginary being.

With that said, let me note that I like your posts in all the forums on this board, and you're one of the people I usually agree with in the football forums. So I don't want to be argumentative. It's probably a terrible thing that I finally discovered the Tinderbox and all the discussion on religion...

I don't want to speak for all atheists, but for me, the most troubling aspect of being an atheist is that my reasons for being an atheist usually give the impression that I think believers are ignorant. And often our views are peppered with a heavy dose of arrogance and a tone that implies that we are "holier than thou" (pun intended). I find belief to be silly, but obviously I do not think believers are ignorant. I am just confused and frustrated by the prevalence of belief among so many intelligent people.

Thanks. One of the most even handed approaches to this I have seen so far.

The frustration part can be completely reciprocated by a believer.

Which is why I prefer to shy away from these discussion because it leads to nowhere.

I have not taken my own medicine on this and I see the results.

Because either side becomes a sniper and cherry picks things they like/don't like and it just comes become mudslinging and fruitless.

Normally I try to chime in if I think something is being misconstrued or misrepresented.

Logic will simply never understand faith. I have used the scene from the movie Contact several times on this very topic.

Isn't that what makes Kirk cooler than Spock? He goes by gut instinct, feelings and sometimes faith?

lol congratulations you use star trek and matthew mcconaughey to justify your stupid beliefs.

you fail at life when you eat up all the lies and rhetoric to a point that you cannot even think for yourself any longer. You then are just as the others, sheep to the slaughter.

You fail when you blindly follow a religion that makes no sense just because the people that invented said religion tell you, "It's all true, God told me so".

Here's a lump of sh-t. God told me that you should eat it. Have fun.

Here's the thing. The post is made and SLJ posts his beliefs. Says they are right. Gets defensive when you say that they may not be. But he is definitely not the religous wacko.

Why is there so much time spent running around the same track in the Tinderbox?

Hey. Didn't mean to offend you. I'm trying to be as respectful as possible in my posts. I was simply saying that what you described in your other post sounded like blind faith (and still does). I did not mean to assert that you are led by blind faith, but the way you worded your post seemed to imply that. What you've just said does clarify a bit but also seems to make your previous post ("Its not about logic, reason, books...") a bit null and void. If your faith was not about logic or reason, then I don't think you would acknowledge the "hypocrisy in (your) religion...the flaws in (your) scriptures...the corruption of (your) churches."

But this is what confuses many atheists, or at least me. Why if you acknowledge these aspects of your religion, do you still choose to follow it? What other hypocritical, flawed, and corrupt things do you believe in and practice?

Again, I say this respectfully. Usually tone of voice is lost in translation via the internets.

No worries, you didn't offend. As you say, tone of voice is everything.

The difficulty in explaining it is that while its not about logic or reasoning that doesn't grant me carte blanche to turn off my brain. I still have the responsibility to myself and my faith to think. To simply take what is offered by the church or its sacred texts as the end all and be all would reduce the whole practice to little more than a no parking sign. Something you do (or dont do) simply because you were told to.

lol congratulations you use star trek and matthew mcconaughey to justify your stupid beliefs.

This, however I wouldn't necessarily call your beliefs "stupid"... rather "unfortunate"...

I guess it goes back to not understanding how well educated, intelligent people can believe in something so obviously contrived for reasons other than how it is presented...

It's just sad and really depressing to know that people would live their lives and base their decisions on something like that... In a way I feel like is my duty to "save" those that would "save" me...

The time and energy some people put into religion could just be so much more well spent actually fixing the world's problems...

pstall, I like you a lot actually. You are almost always cordial and welcoming to debate.

I think a lot of what I say here is lost via text as opposed to speech as some have talked about... Some of my humor is lost in translation...

But, I still just don't "get it" as to why some people can believe the things you obviously believe. Again, the "Faith" thing is just an excuse to me...

you fail at life when you eat up all the lies and rhetoric to a point that you cannot even think for yourself any longer. You then are just as the others, sheep to the slaughter.

Congratulations, you just described any devoted follower of religion, and as such, proved my point!

Here's the thing. The post is made and SLJ posts his beliefs. Says they are right. Gets defensive when you say that they may not be. But he is definitely not the religous wacko.

Why is there so much time spent running around the same track in the Tinderbox?

Where did I say they are right? I left them open for debate and presented a few facts... I guess some people don't see facts as the truth?

I don't get defensive... I will debate anyone that wants to talk about it, or anything that I really believe...

Maybe there is so much time spent running around the same track because people can't answer questions without using magical "faith" as an excuse?

If I said I was a Scientologist, the Christians here would say how stupid it was to believe that we came from outer space and how our souls are the souls of past aliens... Yet, it's okay to believe in Jesus' miracles based on second hand information... just because... right?

Inimicus...

I feel like, and don't hate me for making an assumption, that you are in a spot that I once was...

You have rejected a lot of what is taught in mainstream religion, but you still want to hold onto the fundamental elements contained within it... I think that is a wonderful thing to do...

Again, I'm assuming that you believe that Jesus is the son of God and that he died for all of mankind's sins?

My question is, if you reject other things, how can you truly 100% believe something like that?

I'm not saying it's wrong, because I don't know... I don't think anyone does really, but I do have a good idea that it's not the truth...

Also, do you HAVE to believe that to be a good person, or to feel like once this life is over you have done all you can for humanity?

I think it's a fear driven belief...

Where did I say they are right? I left them open for debate and presented a few facts... I guess some people don't see facts as the truth?

I don't get defensive... I will debate anyone that wants to talk about it, or anything that I really believe...

Maybe there is so much time spent running around the same track because people can't answer questions without using magical "faith" as an excuse?

If I said I was a Scientologist, the Christians here would say how stupid it was to believe that we came from outer space and how our souls are the souls of past aliens... Yet, it's okay to believe in Jesus' miracles based on second hand information... just because... right?

How is it that this kind of open prejudice against anyone is still tolerated and even hailed as the rationally superior stand is beyond me.