• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Thoughts on the Carolina Panthers’ 21-13 victory against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field on Sunday:

What it means: This isn’t going to suddenly turn around what has been a brutal season for Carolina. But it’s going to go a long way in stopping some of the bleeding. The Panthers snapped a five-game losing streak and improved their record to 2-6. An impressive win on the road might be a step toward coach Ron Rivera keeping his job after the season. But Rivera needs some more victories to solidify his status.

An Armanti Edwards sighting: Edwards made what was easily the biggest play in his time in Carolina. Leading 14-6 early in the fourth quarter with the ball deep in their own territory, the Panthers surprisingly didn’t get conservative. Instead, they took a shot downfield to the seldom-used Edwards. Cam Newton hit Edwards with a deep pass that ended up going for 82 yards and that set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Newton.

What I liked: Carolina’s defense. This unit has drawn tons of criticism, and it generally has been deserved. But Carolina’s defense came through in a big way Sunday. It wasn’t a perfect day, as the Redskins finished with 346 yards of total offense. But the Panthers held the Redskins to two field goals until the Redskins scored a touchdown with less than two minutes remaining. That's a pretty solid defensive performance. Also, defensive end Greg Hardy, who looked like a bust early in his career, continues to show signs he might be developing into a reliable pass-rusher.

Newton’s efficient day: The quarterback has been drawing a lot of criticism in recent weeks. But it’s hard to criticize Newton’s performance against the Redskins; he didn’t have a turnover while completing 13 of 23 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown and rushing eight times for 37 yards and a touchdown.

What’s next: The Panthers are home next Sunday with Denver. This will be a homecoming for Denver coach John Fox, who coached the Panthers from 2002 through 2010 and took the franchise to its only Super Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/b...d/41286/wrap-up

I didn't know 6th round picks could be bust. That's new to me.

#2 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

I don't know about the "bust" label. But there were some questions about him.

I'm thrilled he's showing up and I hope they can keep that fire lit under his ass. He's a beast when he's going full speed.

#3 ReadyorNot

ReadyorNot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Wow, Yas has lost his mind.

#4 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

I don't know about the "bust" label. But there were some questions about him.

I'm thrilled he's showing up and I hope they can keep that fire lit under his ass. He's a beast when he's going full speed.

Dude, he was a 6th round pick. There is no way a 6th round pick can be a bust. Absolutely no way.

#5 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Dude, he was a 6th round pick. There is no way a 6th round pick can be a bust. Absolutely no way.

Which is precisely why I said I didn't know about the word "bust".

But there were questions about whether he'd pan out. Yas phrased it terribly but the sentiment is just fine.

#6 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Which is precisely why I said I didn't know about the word "bust".

But there were questions about whether he'd pan out. Yas phrased it terribly but the sentiment is just fine.

When you take a person in the 6th round. They usually don't pan out. His wording was terrible.

#7 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

6th round bust?

Ok...

#8 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,347 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

From bust to beast, huh, Yas?

#9 jake14wl

jake14wl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Greg Hardy is showing endless potential. If he stays dedicated the sky is his limit. However, if a 6th rd pick has trouble staying motivated every week I'm not sure what to think would happen once he gets paid.

#10 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

Might not be able to label a 6th rounder a "bust" but most of us had very high expectations after his rookie season, only to be let down in his play last year.

#11 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks to all of you for not calling him Yaz.

#12 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Might not be able to label a 6th rounder a "bust" but most of us had very high expectations after his rookie season, only to be let down in his play last year.

Yea agree. I don't see anything wrong with what Yas said.

If anyone forgot, Hardy was at one time being considered a very very high 1st rounder but which injuries plagued him, he fell into the 6th round.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

beast? yes.

bust? lol

#14 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

beast? yes.

bust? lol

Lol now. But looked more like the opposite a couple weeks ago.

Guess Hardy really took what happened in practice seriously. He's a totally different player now. And I love seeing Hardy penetrate from the inside. I told ya this kid is big enough to play DT.

#15 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Thanks to all of you for not calling him Yaz.

That used to be one of his email addresses actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com