Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I early voted for Gary Johnson..

52 posts in this topic

Posted

I voted for Stein. What of it?

She still in jail?

Posted

She still in jail?

She was released the next day. She was arrested for trespassing.

Posted

She was released the next day. She was arrested for trespassing.

I know, just pulling your chain

Posted

I do wonder why people think that having a third party would really make things better. If you look at the countries that have multiple parties, those parties usually have some idealogical cause behind them. I have a feeling that if we had mulitple parties, they would also break down along idealogical lines. We would have a moderate party that would encompass some democrats and some republicans, a left leaning party that encompasses liberals, a social conservative party, and a fiscal conservative party. Which is basically how things are now, but those groups are loosely under the umbrellas of the two major parties. And none of them would have enough power to get legislation to pass on their own, so they would have to form alliances with the other parties. In essence, things wouldn't change.

The third party talk is a holy grail for some, but its essentially meaningless.

Posted

I wrote in Ron Paul. We're raised to believe that our vote matters and every vote counts so even though I didn't want to vote at all I did. I know that Ron has absolutely no chance of winning, but it makes me feel good knowing that I voted for a man who I think is a great leader and has introduced some great concepts into my life. I really think that Ron Paul has started a revolution, especially amongst people in my age group. People are passionate about him, his beliefs, and our country. Hopefully a lot more people decided to write him in too so we can send the powers that be a message.

and I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just think that the government is incredibly corrupt at it's current state and Ron Paul would be the man to fix that.

Posted

Ron made such a Revolution that he couldn't get the Pub nomination.

Posted

I do wonder why people think that having a third party would really make things better. If you look at the countries that have multiple parties, those parties usually have some idealogical cause behind them. I have a feeling that if we had mulitple parties, they would also break down along idealogical lines. We would have a moderate party that would encompass some democrats and some republicans, a left leaning party that encompasses liberals, a social conservative party, and a fiscal conservative party. Which is basically how things are now, but those groups are loosely under the umbrellas of the two major parties. And none of them would have enough power to get legislation to pass on their own, so they would have to form alliances with the other parties. In essence, things wouldn't change.

It's relevant b/c it gives people an actual spectrum of choices to choose from that may fall more directly in line with their politics, versus making people box themselves in and basically join the bloods or the crips. So many people who vote now for the two main parties don't adhere to more than 50% of what their party's platform is, but they vote for them because of the "me versus you" aspect. It's just another source of division and diversion, IMO.

Posted

All you hope to do is make enough noise the major parties have to incorporate your platform in the next election.

Posted

Colored in the bubble beside Johnson earlier today. We are still rocking paper ballots here.

Posted

All you hope to do is make enough noise the major parties have to incorporate your platform in the next election.

And then the platform is largely ignored until the next election cycle. Well the parts of it the winning candidate doesn't like are anyway.

Posted

It's relevant b/c it gives people an actual spectrum of choices to choose from that may fall more directly in line with their politics, versus making people box themselves in and basically join the bloods or the crips. So many people who vote now for the two main parties don't adhere to more than 50% of what their party's platform is, but they vote for them because of the "me versus you" aspect. It's just another source of division and diversion, IMO.

Fwiw, I don't care about platforms anyway, because they get largely ignored once a candidate takes office. When voting for a candidate, I tend to look at that candidates style of leadership and what he or she has done in the past. I support Romney primarily because he showed a history of being able to work with the other side.

IMO, the biggest problem with politics in our government today is that to many individuals do adhere to their beliefs to the point that compromise is becoming impossible. And in our style of government, compromise is a requirement unless one party grabs complete power (which rarely happens). And if we had a third party, complete control would be even more difficult, making compromise even more necessary and yet perhaps more difficult to attain.

Posted

Fwiw, I don't care about platforms anyway, because they get largely ignored once a candidate takes office. When voting for a candidate, I tend to look at that candidates style of leadership and what he or she has done in the past. I support Romney primarily because he showed a history of being able to work with the other side.

IMO, the biggest problem with politics in our government today is that to many individuals do adhere to their beliefs to the point that compromise is becoming impossible. And in our style of government, compromise is a requirement unless one party grabs complete power (which rarely happens). And if we had a third party, complete control would be even more difficult, making compromise even more necessary and yet perhaps more difficult to attain.

Agreed about the platforms as well as what is wrong with our government today. Compromise is key. But the two party system polarizes people and forces them to choose a side with often venomous conviction. Most voters I talk with don't think like you when they vote. They don't look at leadership style. If you believe that to be true, that is a valid reason to vote for whom you feel that way about.

But compromise is another reason why I think a third party is necessary, because naturally, a third party nominee would be much more likely to compromise because they aren't stuck in the paradigm that is the two party system, they're already starting from a middle ground that most on either side of the aisle currently either can't find or refuse to look for.