• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,502 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

All you hope to do is make enough noise the major parties have to incorporate your platform in the next election.

And then the platform is largely ignored until the next election cycle. Well the parts of it the winning candidate doesn't like are anyway.

#47 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,502 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

It's relevant b/c it gives people an actual spectrum of choices to choose from that may fall more directly in line with their politics, versus making people box themselves in and basically join the bloods or the crips. So many people who vote now for the two main parties don't adhere to more than 50% of what their party's platform is, but they vote for them because of the "me versus you" aspect. It's just another source of division and diversion, IMO.

Fwiw, I don't care about platforms anyway, because they get largely ignored once a candidate takes office. When voting for a candidate, I tend to look at that candidates style of leadership and what he or she has done in the past. I support Romney primarily because he showed a history of being able to work with the other side.

IMO, the biggest problem with politics in our government today is that to many individuals do adhere to their beliefs to the point that compromise is becoming impossible. And in our style of government, compromise is a requirement unless one party grabs complete power (which rarely happens). And if we had a third party, complete control would be even more difficult, making compromise even more necessary and yet perhaps more difficult to attain.

#48 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,272 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Fwiw, I don't care about platforms anyway, because they get largely ignored once a candidate takes office. When voting for a candidate, I tend to look at that candidates style of leadership and what he or she has done in the past. I support Romney primarily because he showed a history of being able to work with the other side.

IMO, the biggest problem with politics in our government today is that to many individuals do adhere to their beliefs to the point that compromise is becoming impossible. And in our style of government, compromise is a requirement unless one party grabs complete power (which rarely happens). And if we had a third party, complete control would be even more difficult, making compromise even more necessary and yet perhaps more difficult to attain.

Agreed about the platforms as well as what is wrong with our government today. Compromise is key. But the two party system polarizes people and forces them to choose a side with often venomous conviction. Most voters I talk with don't think like you when they vote. They don't look at leadership style. If you believe that to be true, that is a valid reason to vote for whom you feel that way about.

But compromise is another reason why I think a third party is necessary, because naturally, a third party nominee would be much more likely to compromise because they aren't stuck in the paradigm that is the two party system, they're already starting from a middle ground that most on either side of the aisle currently either can't find or refuse to look for.

#49 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,485 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbmXDFywY4&feature=plcp

Gary Johnson is the Sarah Palin of the Libertarian movement.

He's not that great. As someone who voted for him.

He's really just tried to rely on pandering to the ron paul vote.

He's still better (a million times better) than last round's L nomination, Bob Barr.

#50 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Johnson is much better than Paul.

#51 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,262 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Johnson is much better than Paul.

I'm better than Paul and I'm basically an idiot.

#52 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Basically ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com