21 replies to this topic

#1 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Last night we were in the living room watching tv. Out the front windows we saw headlights, and then heard a bang, and dirt flying to hit the front door and windows. Went out to see what it was, and there was a car in our front yard plowed into the tree.

I checked on the dude, and he was so drunk he could hardly stand. He had no idea what happened and was continuously trying to rev the engine to take off and leave, but was stuck on the tree.

Called the cops, and a sheriff got here. He said the area isn't really his jurisdiction, it falls under the state troopers. So we called the state troopers, and they flat out said no, they wouldn't come, 'trees and bushes aren't considered property so it doesn't matter if he hit one.' We were all dumbfounded by that, even the sheriff.

Sheriff dude said they don't carry breathalizers in their cars, only troopers do, so we couldn't even do that.

The guy was stuck on the tree for about 2 hours while his son and wife tried to tow it off, and eventually they called AAA. He went home without so much as a ticket. Meanwhile if that tree wasn't there I'd have a car in my living room right now.

#2 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

WTH, well at least you can sue the guy in civil court for the damages.....man that is mind blowing.

#3 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Roll Damn Tide

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Last night we were in the living room watching tv. Out the front windows we saw headlights, and then heard a bang, and dirt flying to hit the front door and windows. Went out to see what it was, and there was a car in our front yard plowed into the tree.

I checked on the dude, and he was so drunk he could hardly stand. He had no idea what happened and was continuously trying to rev the engine to take off and leave, but was stuck on the tree.

Called the cops, and a sheriff got here. He said the area isn't really his jurisdiction, it falls under the state troopers. So we called the state troopers, and they flat out said no, they wouldn't come, 'trees and bushes aren't considered property so it doesn't matter if he hit one.' We were all dumbfounded by that, even the sheriff.

Sheriff dude said they don't carry breathalizers in their cars, only troopers do, so we couldn't even do that.

The guy was stuck on the tree for about 2 hours while his son and wife tried to tow it off, and eventually they called AAA. He went home without so much as a ticket. Meanwhile if that tree wasn't there I'd have a car in my living room right now.

Sheriff doesn't have probable cause and make him go back to the station for a blood test/breathalizer?

#5 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Amurica! Lol what a dumbass though. I was always taught to flee the scene if something like that happens

#6 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Amurica! Lol what a dumbass though. I was always taught to flee the scene if something like that happens

Teddy Kennedy policy. If you ever come up upon a scene where you feel alcohol was a contributing factor in an accident...take a picture to get a record of who was on the scene. Local unlicensed drivers now know that if they're in an accident to simply bolt. One accident...all 3 drunk and flipped work truck. One crushed under truck, one died shortly thereafter, the driver ran...but not before some kids following took a snapshot. NCSHP donning an AR15/dogs hunted and couldn't find him. SHP officer just sat in a cutover...and sure enough Mr. Drunk dude gets up in field and starts to walk out. He was arrested.

Even in normal non-drinking related accidents...take pictures. It might be you that's hit and someone bolts.

That sheriff deputy will feel pretty awful if that dude crashes into someone's child and kills them drinking/driving soon.

#7 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

my own experience with the justice system had similar letdowns. am glad the tree did its thing to protect you and your family.

#8 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

You can buy a breathalyzer for like $10, the cops can't afford to have those in their cars?

I don't believe the "we don't consider bushes property" comment. That's horseshit. I'm not saying they didn't say that, I just can't believe they said that.

When I was 16, my buddy and I were offroading in our jeeps and came up into a neighborhood just being developed. I was burning out, lost control of my car (the road was covered in a layer of mud) and ran off the road. I stopped about 6" short of a tree. The cops looked at it and laughed and told me I was 6" away from a ticket for an accident and destruction of property.

#9 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Sheriff doesn't have probable cause and make him go back to the station for a blood test/breathalizer?

I brought that up and he said the dude would probably be sober by the time they got back there. Sounded like an excuse to me.

I took a million photos of the license plate and the guy behind the wheel at his car up my tree. So he'll pay for damages one way or another.

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I brought that up and he said the dude would probably be sober by the time they got back there. Sounded like an excuse to me.

I took a million photos of the license plate and the guy behind the wheel at his car up my tree. So he'll pay for damages one way or another.

Good.

Bust them. Should've videoed the whole thing...ask the deputy his information...record the SHP response...and put to youtube. Citizen journalism CAN work.

#11 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I don't believe the "we don't consider bushes property" comment. That's horseshit. I'm not saying they didn't say that, I just can't believe they said that.

When the trooper said that, I told the sheriff guy "If trees aren't property I think I'll go take a couple out of my neighbors yard." He laughed and said he'd help, and agreed he'd never heard anything like that before.

Granted this is what the sheriff said the trooper said. My guess would be he said something more like trees and bushes are lower priority than whatever they were currently dealing with so they wouldn't bother.

#12 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

You can buy a breathalyzer for like $10, the cops can't afford to have those in their cars?

When I was 16, my buddy and I were offroading in our jeeps and came up into a neighborhood just being developed. I was burning out, lost control of my car (the road was covered in a layer of mud) and ran off the road. I stopped about 6" short of a tree. The cops looked at it and laughed and told me I was 6" away from a ticket for an accident and destruction of property.

He said it was a Sheriff, not a cop. Sheriffs are the fat ones that drive around serving warrants and teaching DARE classes. They aren't even supposed to pull people over.

#13 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

He said it was a Sheriff, not a cop. Sheriffs are the fat ones that drive around serving warrants and teaching DARE classes. They aren't even supposed to pull people over.

yeah he said the guy could have a severed head in his passenger seat and he wouldn't be able to really do anything about it. But I was lucky he at least came, as a witness at least. We did do some paper work for insurance purposes.

#14 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think Id have a couple badges in my pocket by the time I was done with those clowns.

Wouldn't come to the scene of an accident?

Yeah someone would feel like they had their ass in a wood chipper by the time I was done. If I couldn't get satisfaction calling the local HP station Id keep going till I was in a senators office.

That's some bullshit and Id be mad as fug.

#15 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

This guy is probably bragging to his buddies about this today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com