#1 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationMaine/Cali

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Posted this in another thread but figured it would get more views here...

I may be speaking for myself, but as a member of the youth (aged 22) in this country, I just feel extremely disconnected to American politics...and this is coming from a political science student and someone pursuing his master's degree to hopefully work for the federal government one day.

Not sure what it is, I just have never felt like my voice or anyone else's for that matter really makes any bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. Not sure if it is a faulty political system or something entirely different or a combination of things, but as an educated and driven individual from an upper-middle class family I have just lost all hope in the United States and that is hard to stomach.

Sometimes I just can't understand how people think that government is so necessary in their daily lives. What happened to doing things for yourself? People just have so much blind faith in this political system and power that they cannot think for themselves.

Just need to vent, disappointed in myself that no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to rally behind any candidate or party and think we are headed down a path of much of the same.

Any advice from the older members in here? Did you experience such feelings when growing up at all? Any reasons for optimism?

#2 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

My mother once told me, "I've never once had to go about my day differently because of who was president."

#3 jake14wl

jake14wl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

People are lazy & wanted things handed to them. I know girls who voted for Obama because he's gonna give them birth control pills. I know students who voted for Obama simply so they can continue to get huge pell grants instead of having to take out loans & pay for their own education. I'm sure the 43 million on welfare voted for Obama so they can continue to get paid for sitting on their ass.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government strong enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,962 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Any advice from the older members in here? Did you experience such feelings when growing up at all? Any reasons for optimism?

My advice is relax and don't worry about it so much. The US is going keep on going, just as it has for the last 250 plus years, with election results having a relatively minor impact. Concern yourself with the things you can control, don't worry so much about the things you can't control. If you want to work in the federal government, then do it and do the best job you can.

#5 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Posted this in another thread but figured it would get more views here...

I may be speaking for myself, but as a member of the youth (aged 22) in this country, I just feel extremely disconnected to American politics...and this is coming from a political science student and someone pursuing his master's degree to hopefully work for the federal government one day.

Not sure what it is, I just have never felt like my voice or anyone else's for that matter really makes any bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. Not sure if it is a faulty political system or something entirely different or a combination of things, but as an educated and driven individual from an upper-middle class family I have just lost all hope in the United States and that is hard to stomach.

Sometimes I just can't understand how people think that government is so necessary in their daily lives. What happened to doing things for yourself? People just have so much blind faith in this political system and power that they cannot think for themselves.

Just need to vent, disappointed in myself that no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to rally behind any candidate or party and think we are headed down a path of much of the same.

Politicians don't speak to young voters because young voters usually don't turn out and vote.

#6 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,892 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government strong enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

"That's actually a slight modification of a Gerald Ford quote. Please stop misattributing it to me."

-Thomas Jefferson

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

We have a system of checks and balances. The republicans can block any legislation they want to block and there isn't much the democrats can do about it.

4 more years of gridlock.

The good news is Obama is a great commander in chief and won't be starting any more wars while he does continue to succeed at keeping the homeland safe.

#8 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

They say if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain. Yet it seems to me all most voters do is complain. You think one person makes all the difference in the country? That is a complete lie. We want to turn this economy around, all you need is a great invention. A new idea that will solve some of the problems we have, particularly concerning things like oil and gas prices.

I find it funny that in victory and concession speeches, the candidates always talk about putting aside political differences, and working together. Well, that is mighty hard after you have vehemently attacked one another, as though you were bitter enemies, instead of two americans sharing their ideas of how to serve the US. That's really the president's job anyway, to help americans better able to run this nation.

So bottom line, there is way too much complaining going on rather than actually solving problems. Do we actually expect for Obama, or Romney if he got in, to relieve the nation of it's national debt? No, that responsibility solely falls on us. All Obama's job entails, is to better allow us to do that. He does this by listening, versus instructing. No, I don't vote, and if I don't have a right to complain, that's alright. Too much of that is going on already. Of course yall know my faith. The only time one man is going to perfectly run the world, is when Jesus comes back. If you don't believe that, than you agree that one man will never be able to do such a thing. So ultimately, we have to run this nation, and hold whoever is president (I don't care if that guy is Rush Limbaugh himself) to the utmost of accountability. If he is stubborn, we make sure he has so many grey hairs by the time he leaves office, any candidate after him will know "If you don't allow us to run this nation properly, we will bring down the hammer on you so hard, you will never be able to sleep a day in your life hence forth!"

You guys want to know why presidents rarely fulfill all the promises they made during their campaigns? It's because they lie to get your vote. If we hold our presidents accountable, and make it clear their job is to listen and not to instruct, they would be honest about what they are going into office for. Instead of attacking one another is debates, they will simply talk about their plans as president, and we can choose who's plan is best.

#9 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

We have a system of checks and balances. The republicans can block any legislation they want to block and there isn't much the democrats can do about it.

4 more years of gridlock.

The good news is Obama is a great commander in chief and won't be starting any more wars while he does continue to succeed at keeping the homeland safe.

totally agree. if both sides can just get jobs rolling it may not be too bad.

#10 Django 2 Chainz

Django 2 Chainz

Killer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHustlin' in the streets

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

People are lazy & wanted things handed to them. I know girls who voted for Obama because he's gonna give them birth control pills. I know students who voted for Obama simply so they can continue to get huge pell grants instead of having to take out loans & pay for their own education. I'm sure the 43 million on welfare voted for Obama so they can continue to get paid for sitting on their ass.

Wow, really? There is so much wrong with your line of thinking. Obama is not going to "give" anybody birth control pills. Your line of thinking illustrates what is wrong with the minds of many in America. It's easy as hell to make a snap judgement from the safety and comfort of your home. Go out and volunteer in a place that is mired in poverty; Go out and actually experience the world for yourself and then come back and make those high and mighty comments. The world is not nearly as simple as some people try and make it.

#11 Django 2 Chainz

Django 2 Chainz

Killer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHustlin' in the streets

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yes. You hit that nail on the head. As a vet, the only thing I took issue with was his handling of the Libya embassy situation. Outside of that, Obama has been killing terrorists left and right, while trying to get us the fug out of places that are so mired in barbarity they will not change anytime soon. And he should be lauded for that. Killing terrorists is awesome.

#12 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I wish facebook was around after Clintons re-election. I swear we could just copy and paste the same exact things being said.

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,962 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I wish facebook was around after Clintons re-election. I swear we could just copy and paste the same exact things being said.

So you agree that opposition to Obama has nothing to do with his race? Good, glad to hear it. :)

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

So you agree that opposition to Obama has nothing to do with his race? Good, glad to hear it. :)

I've always said it didn't.

Sure, maybe there is a fringe 5% or so that it does, but by in large his race isn't relevant.

#15 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

They did a fairly scientific survey and summized that if Obama wasn't black he would gain 2% and Romney would lose 3% of the vote. That's sizable and significant, but by no means is it the bulk of the opposition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.