Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I've Learned From This Election

228 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay, I will play.

When a party cannot inspire the electorate through future opportunities or the chance at greatness, they have to demonize the opponents. They do this by telling many groups how bad they currently have it and how it will only get worse if their opponents are elected. Hence, the war on women. Women had no clue how bad they had it until Obamas team started telling them how put upon they actually were and Romney would take them back to horse and buggy days.

Now, you have to wonder how much patronization the modern woman can take. Pretty much if voting patterns are any indication. Same with blacks. They have been a poor underacheiving group for the last 60 years and Dems have been and will continue to be the beneficiaries of their low position. All they have to do in each election cycle is to tell the black community that their woes are due to the conservatives and they fall right back in line. It does not matter that generations have never made any progress under Dems, they are victims of the right and the Dems are their only saving grace.

It happens all the time. And the Dems just keep creating more victims and more constituents. Why then, would the Dems ever want any group to "rise above"?

What I get from the comments I put in bold font is that women would have no clue how bad they had it unless Obama started telling them that Romney was going to eliminate Roe v Wade and, failing that, eliminate their right to choose. Your statement about blacks is ambiguous. You state that they have been underachieving compared to the rest of the population (which is true) but without placing this in context I kind of had to fill in the blanks for you. A lot of Republicans (I'm not saying you specifically) insist that the struggles blacks have in America are due to the fact they simply don't work hard enough. This is not true and they are out of touch; there is a whole complex system in place designed (it feels designed; things like this don't seem to happen by accident) to keep them from succeeding.

I feel like conservatives believe in the "myth of the selfmade man". There is no such thing as a self made man. He doesn't exist. Future success in life is determined by things like the school system you went to growing up, coming from a two parent home, and a lot of other factors. Some of those factors are self determined; a lot of them are not. I feel like conservatives emphasize the self determined factors while minimizing the non-self determined factors. Of course hard work plays a significant part, but hard work doesn't always guarantee success. Hard work does not always meet up with opportunity to produce success and that is the problem.

1 person likes this

Posted

What I get from the comments I put in bold font is that women would have no clue how bad they had it unless Obama started telling them that Romney was going to eliminate Roe v Wade and, failing that, eliminate their right to choose. Your statement about blacks is ambiguous. You state that they have been underachieving compared to the rest of the population (which is true) but without placing this in context I kind of had to fill in the blanks for you. A lot of Republicans (I'm not saying you specifically) insist that the struggles blacks have in America are due to the fact they simply don't work hard enough. This is not true and they are out of touch; there is a whole complex system in place designed (it feels designed; things like this don't seem to happen by accident) to keep them from succeeding.

I feel like conservatives believe in the "myth of the selfmade man". There is no such thing as a self made man. He doesn't exist. Future success in life is determined by things like the school system you went to growing up, coming from a two parent home, and a lot of other factors. Some of those factors are self determined; a lot of them are not. I feel like conservatives emphasize the self determined factors while minimizing the non-self determined factors. Of course hard work plays a significant part, but hard work doesn't always guarantee success. Hard work does not always meet up with opportunity to produce success and that is the problem.

Okay. Now we are having a conversation.

If I were president, my belief system would be to make the path easier for people to succeed. I totally understand what you are saying about things determining your trajectory in life.

I know that a 2 parent home is better for kids, teens, etc than a one parent home. These are facts. I have said in pasts posts that there is nothing stronger as a unit in our society than a black father and mother. I have said that they blow away white parents in general. Sadly, for 60 years, the gov adopted programs under the heading of helping, which discouraged marriage. It might not have been their intention, but those were the results.

Again, you and I both mentioned schools. I totally agree with you that if you are in a school that sucks, nobody cares and is dangerous, then the chances are way diminished for your success.

I do think however that a desire for success is paramount. I also think of the verse in the bible which says "hope deferred makes the heart sick" We are not that far off in our beliefs, just that political parties need us to be divided.

And Delhommey on the sidelines continually whispering the normal liberal mantra.

He cares, if you don't believe him, just ask him.

My point is that conservatisim is not perfect but not the devil as many project.

I hope your studies and diligence land you a good job and again appreciate anyone who served the country through all the crap we have been doing with the military. I don't think you "need" a political party, they need you. Much luck

Posted

I've learned that my dem friends can act just as ugly to people as the reps did when bush was re-elected.

Posted

Hard work doesn't guarantee success. But avoiding work at all costs guarantees the opposite. That goes for all races, and there are quite simply too God damn many people in that category right now.

Posted

Ignore. I think stirs misposted. All i saw was my quoted stuff and no response.

Posted

Let's ignore the fact that the Democratic party has a history of enacting policies that are intended to help minorities and Republicans have a history of doing the opposite.

Then why do minorities struggle more under Democratic presidents than whites do? Is it because of the minority role Republicans had in Congress during Obama's first two years? Romney hit the nail on the head in the first debate. Obama's first priority should have been jobs. Instead it was another entitlement program. Just what this country needs. Small businesses are dying everywhere.

Let's also ignore the fact that Republicans have long had ties to White Supremacists organizations and other nefarious groups.

So have many Democrats.

Whether you want to admit it or not, perception is often reality. Republicans have done nothing to change the perception that republicans don't care about minorities.

Because Republicans waste their time worrying about things like getting the economy back on track, something that actually will help minorities and women.

Posted

Because Republicans waste their time worrying about things like getting the economy back on track, something that actually will help minorities and women.

sorry... this is f*cking laughable.

Posted

Is this a bad thing? America is founded on the principles of equality for all.

Posted

Just one thing to say ... no more blaming Bush. It's time to stand on your own.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just one thing to say ... no more blaming Bush. It's time to stand on your own.

agree completely.

Posted

Then why do minorities struggle more under Democratic presidents than whites do? Is it because of the minority role Republicans had in Congress during Obama's first two years? Romney hit the nail on the head in the first debate. Obama's first priority should have been jobs. Instead it was another entitlement program. Just what this country needs. Small businesses are dying everywhere.

So have many Democrats.

I misunderstood the way that Stirs posted; when he first posted all I saw was my post which he quoted. I assumed that he was trying to say that I was making his argument for him and responded accordingly. I happen to agree with a lot of what Stirs said, but I will respond to your post.

Back your claims up with numbers and facts. Over time (when the economy has not been in recession) where is the proof that blacks do better under Republicans than under Democrats? Keep in mind that the Recession was in full swing before Bush II's presidency ended. How was Obama not focusing on jobs? Of course he focused on jobs. Republicans traditionally approach this issue differently from Democrats. Romney and his ilk still believe in "trickle down"; he wants to grow the middle class by giving breaks to high earners which he feels will help the economy by causing more people to get hired (which will in turn benefit minorities); this approach involves de-regulation and giving breaks to businesses (whether or not this would actually benefit the middle class is extremely debatable; it would definitely benefit the rich). Democrats approach the problem from the perspective of trying to directly improve the middle class. This does not mean that he didn't focus on jobs. Of course he did. It is possible to focus on more than one thing at a time.

Anyway, I want facts and numbers showing that (outside of Recession) minorities were better under Republican presidents. Also, please list all Democrats (except for David Duke who ran as a democrat once in La) with strong ties to white supremacists. I'm talking about the modern democratic party.

Posted

Also you called his healthcare overhaul another "entitlement program". A lot of people are unaware that they have been trying to overhaul healthcare for a long time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_health_care_reform_in_the_United_States#1930s-1950s

The goal is not for it to be an "entitlement program". The goal of "Obama Care" is to fix broken aspects of our healthcare system. The rising cost of healthcare has to be addressed. There are so many things wrong with it right now; from the way people with pre-existing conditions are discriminated against to the way insurance companies will look for reasons to drop people from their policies because treating them has become too expensive. Oh and "Obama-care" was modeled after "Romney care" but I'm guessing you knew that.