Photo
- - - - -

Does everyone know what the "fiscal cliff" is?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Any deal, IMO, just delays the inevitable placing bets that the economy will rebound eventually and turn receipts upward. But as you just said, the math doesn't work.

Why not just go over the cliff and deal with the ramifications of cuts. Corporate America has to deal with that...our government should have to deal with it. 10% minimum across the board....and that includes employees.

I feel the same way. At some point people will suffer. Why keep delaying and running up the tab?

#32 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

The simple answer is that it is a safe gaurd to TRY and circumvent republican obstructionism when it comes time to CO-OPERATE.

I think it was necessary and a pretty ingenious way to force their hand after they played chicken with the entire US economy last time around, ultimately leading to a credit downgrade for the entire country.

#33 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Working middle class will get absolutely rapped if congress and obama don't get their poo together... Inflation going through the roof, salaries stay the same and possibility of tax rate almost doubling?

Posted Image

#34 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

It is most likely that there will be some kind of agreement in the first quarter of next year that will put off any real pain until after the 2014 elections and kick the can down the road.

It will likely never happen but the best thing for our country might be to allow the automatic spending cuts and tax increases to take place.

Many people keep bringing up the issue of not wanting to leave their children and this country in financial ruin, well here is your chance to man up.

Tell your reps to let the cuts go into effect.

#35 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,446 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

not that easy nan. right now i think a totally innovative, out of the box approach needs to happen. congress and the wh are going to try and do what clinton &co did in the 90's hoping for the same results.

the shrinking workforce/unemployment/more getting done with less people is the chickens coming home to roost.

i will keep saying it but a 100k jobs a MONTH need to happen consistently within a year or less or we are some severely tough times.

#36 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm probably in the minority here. But let the tax cuts die. Bring back the rates before Bush cut them. But also look into what they can cut to save money too.

#37 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,570 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

not that easy nan. right now i think a totally innovative, out of the box approach needs to happen. congress and the wh are going to try and do what clinton &co did in the 90's hoping for the same results.

I think this is what most are hoping for, but it would require not only spending cuts but also tax increases. As far as I know, tax increases are still off the table for the majority of GOP reps that have signed Grover's pledge.

the shrinking workforce/unemployment/more getting done with less people is the chickens coming home to roost.

i will keep saying it but a 100k jobs a MONTH need to happen consistently within a year or less or we are some severely tough times.

I remember hearing an unconventional suggestion several years ago to stimulate the housing sector that would also provide a potential to grow our tax paying workforce.

Create a federal program to attract educated professionals from India, China, and other overcrowded countries to move to the US. They would be provided entry with an accelerated track to citizenship provided they could afford to purchase a vacant home in the US. This would assist in reducing the glut of vacant homes, speeding the recovery of the housing market. At the same time it would provide additional well educated tax payers to help offset the cost of retiring baby boomers. Many companies are having a hard time filling job openings right now because of a lack of qualified applicants. There are companies like Boeing bringing in engineers from foreign countries on temporary visas just to get work done. Why not let them stay if they are willing to settle here permanently and buy a home?

I realize this sounds rather unconventional, but that is kinda the point. Conventional hasn't really worked. Why not try something outside the box? Supposedly there are plenty of people that would love to come to this country, let's make the most of that situation and use it to our advantage.

#38 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I think this is what most are hoping for, but it would require not only spending cuts but also tax increases. As far as I know, tax increases are still off the table for the majority of GOP reps that have signed Grover's pledge.

I remember hearing an unconventional suggestion several years ago to stimulate the housing sector that would also provide a potential to grow our tax paying workforce.

Create a federal program to attract educated professionals from India, China, and other overcrowded countries to move to the US. They would be provided entry with an accelerated track to citizenship provided they could afford to purchase a vacant home in the US. This would assist in reducing the glut of vacant homes, speeding the recovery of the housing market. At the same time it would provide additional well educated tax payers to help offset the cost of retiring baby boomers. Many companies are having a hard time filling job openings right now because of a lack of qualified applicants. There are companies like Boeing bringing in engineers from foreign countries on temporary visas just to get work done. Why not let them stay if they are willing to settle here permanently and buy a home?

I realize this sounds rather unconventional, but that is kinda the point. Conventional hasn't really worked. Why not try something outside the box? Supposedly there are plenty of people that would love to come to this country, let's make the most of that situation and use it to our advantage.

Sounds cool, but usually the well educated folks could come to this country pretty easily, some do, some don't.

It's the poor/uneducated that want to flock here.

#39 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

That said, we need MASSIVE cuts to the entire federal government to get this moving in the right direction.

Not many people will get on board with it though.

Had Romney stood on the platform of cuts throughout I think that he had a chance, but the increasing military thing sunk him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com