#1 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=media

One day after the GOP suffered a crushing presidential defeat that spotlighted the party's unpopularity with Latino voters, Fox News star Sean Hannity announced that his position on undocumented immigrants had "evolved" and that he now supports a pathway to citizenship. (Listen above.)
Musing on his radio show about how his party could convince Latinos to switch parties, Hannity proposed a solution:

"We've gotta get rid of the immigration issue altogether. It's simple for me to fix it. I think you control the border first, you create a pathway for those people that are here, you don't say you gotta home. And that is a position that I've evolved on. Because you know what--it just--it's gotta be resolved. The majority of people here--if some people have criminal records you can send' em home--but if people are here, law-abiding, participating, four years, their kids are born here... first secure the border, pathway to citizenship... then it's done. But you can't let the problem continue. It's gotta stop."

His declaration comes amid a wave of Republican soul-searching in the wake of Tuesday's loss. One of the central takeaways of the election was that the GOP has a serious demographics problem; white voters, who have long served as the party's base, are decreasing as a share of the country's population, while Democrats have successfully cobbled together a slim majority with overwhelming support from Latinos, blacks and Asians.
Democrats and Republicans have not seen eye to eye on immigration in the past few years. In 2010, the DREAM Act, legislation that would have provided some undocumented immigrants a pathway to citizenship, failed to secure enough Senate votes during a lame-duck session, largely as a result of GOP opposition. Republicans in the last Congress then adopted a harsher tone on the issue than their predecessors. President Obama bypassed them altogether in June when he announced that his administration would stop deporting undocumented immigrants under 30 who had arrived in the United States before the age of 16.

Good to see his evolution is based on electoral politics and not because it is the right thing to do.

#2 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,556 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

What % of any politician will say whatever to get elected you think?

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

What % of any politician will say whatever to get elected you think?

At least they usually try to mask it as a moral conviction and not blatantly say it is about trying to win elections because their party is becoming irrelevant.

#4 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

The Dems are phony. Why shouldn't the Republicans fight fire with fire?

#5 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

i spoke to a republican that i actually have respect for soon after the president was reelected and he told me that the republicans will stand a much better chance with rubio or another latino at the top of the ticket (which seems to be the popular republican talking point after their most recent shellacking). i told him that the party is going to have to actually change its policy positions in order to sway the latino vote, and his eyes glazed over as it dawned on him that the republicans are going to have to actually move left of "electrified border fence with sentry guns atop" and that his republican party will never be the same again (provided it actually wants to stand a chance in 2016)

it owned

#6 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,638 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Running someone of Cuban ancestry at the top of the ticket to attract Mexican American votes is like running someone of English ancestry to attract Irish American votes.

Latinos are no more monolithic than those with Northern European ancestry.

Curiously, that reality still eludes many on the right.

#7 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,638 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

http://www.huffingto...tm_hp_ref=media

Good to see his evolution is based on electoral politics and not because it is the right thing to do.

The propaganda arm of the GOP has officially started the process of reeducating it's loyal viewership inside the FOX bubble.

Should be interesting to see the results in a few months when the usual suspects start telling us they have always been for immigration reform and a pathway to citizenship for those already here.

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Running someone of Cuban ancestry at the top of the ticket to attract Mexican American votes is like running someone of English ancestry to attract Irish American votes.

Latinos are no more monolithic than those with Northern European ancestry.

Curiously, that reality still eludes many on the right.

Running someone of African ancestry got Hispanic american votes, so why wouldn't someone who speaks Spanish be able to attract a few more Hispanic votes. GWB got a much larger percentage of the Hispanic vote than Romney or Mccain did, and all he did was speak a few words of spanish in a couple of speeches.

And you assume that the republicans are specifically targeting those of Mexican ancestry. I imagine they would like to make some gains amongst all Hispanic voters, and I am sure the Republicans would like to get back a few Cuban voters in Florida. Rubio would definitely help in that regard.

#9 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Running someone of African ancestry got Hispanic american votes, so why wouldn't someone who speaks Spanish be able to attract a few more Hispanic votes. GWB got a much larger percentage of the Hispanic vote than Romney or Mccain did, and all he did was speak a few words of spanish in a couple of speeches.

And you assume that the republicans are specifically targeting those of Mexican ancestry. I imagine they would like to make some gains amongst all Hispanic voters, and I am sure the Republicans would like to get back a few Cuban voters in Florida. Rubio would definitely help in that regard.

yep that's all he did huh

Immigration is not a problem to be solved, it is a sign of a confident and successful nation. Their arrival should be greeted not with suspicion and resentment, but with openness and courtesy.

hmm i wonder who said that

surprisingly (to only you apparently) bush was actually more moderate on immigration than romney. it's not because he "spoke a few words of spanish in a couple of speeches" and it's kind of offensive to suggest that such a large group of people could be swayed by such obvious pandering

In May and June 2007, Bush strongly advocated Senate passage of another sweeping immigration reform proposal, the Secure Borders, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Reform Act of 2007. The bill was prepared by a bipartisan group of senators with an active participation of the Bush administration. For this reason, the time of its introduction in the Senate in May 2007 the bill was seen as having a greater chance of becoming law compared with the previous immigration reform proposals. A heated debate, both in Congress and among the public, followed. Most of the conservatives broke ranks with Bush and vigorously opposed the bill, for its provisions regarding legalization of illegal immigrants and providing them with a path to citizenship.[23] The bill was ultimately defeated in the Senate, when, on June 28, 2007, a cloture motion to limit the debate failed, 46-53, and did not gather even a simple majority, whereas 60 votes were needed for the motion to pass.[24] In the absence of legislative action, on August 10, 2007 the Bush administration announced a series of immigration enforcement initiatives that do not require a change in law. [25]

#10 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

And if we'd never had a white president before, you bet your ass running a president of English ancestry would attract Irish votes. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking, don't you, DD?

#11 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Newt, of all people got blasted for his "liberal" policy on immigration during the debates. He did not want to break up families and such and got killed.

#12 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

At least they usually try to mask it as a moral conviction and not blatantly say it is about trying to win elections because their party is becoming irrelevant.

when did hannity become a politician?

#13 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Isn't everyone on TV a politician?

#14 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh,and Bill O'Reilly have more control over the Republican party than any of the actual politicians.

That is why you keep seeing Tea Party candidates win primaries against Republican establishment candidates.

To be honest the only people who hate the Tea Party more than Democrats is the Republican leadership

#15 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,108 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh,and Bill O'Reilly have more control over the Republican party than any of the actual politicians.

That is why you keep seeing Tea Party candidates win primaries against Republican establishment candidates.

To be honest the only people who hate the Tea Party more than Democrats is the Republican leadership

still doesn't make him a politician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com