Photo
- - - - -

Let's just go ahead and start a thread about the coal guy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#25 TbTeRRoR

TbTeRRoR

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

lol repeal Obamacare to install Romneycare. Huge difference!

Well they did borrow a lot of it from Romney so yeah

#26 Niner National

Niner National

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

This may be off topic but, can anyone with any sort of economic knowledge explain to be why we aren't taxing carbon emissions, or at least moving in that direction?

There's no better way to incentivize a move away from coal and other fossil fuels to more sustainable/cleaner energy than a carbon tax.

Well, we sort of do.

In most states, energy companies are required to produce a percentage of energy from renewable sources. They can either do it through facilities they own or they can buy renewable energy credits (RECs) to meet the goal. If they don't meet the goal, they are penalized.

Every state is different though. I worked for a solar company in Maryland for about a year and a half and the REC prices fluctuated between $200 and $400. In NC, they go for something like $30. In NJ they were $800+ but that market got a huge flood of solar due to the high REC prices and it drove the price down. Not sure what it is anymore.

If you look at your power bill, there will probably be a charge for .50 - $1.50 that is applied towards this. Duke may hide it though, I'm not sure since I never look at my power bill.