Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help picking out first camera.

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm a Graphics Animation/Film major and am looking to get my first true digital camera. Up until now I've been shooting a Sony CX-160 for video but now I'd like one that takes great still images as well as better video. Is there anything for a reasonable price that is close to the quality of the Nikon D4? I am completely clueless when it comes to picking one out and that goes for lenses and accessories as well. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also I know the D4 is a $6,000 camera so take my previous statement with a grain of salt haha. I'd like to keep the price under $1000 preferably closer to $500-$600 with the best possible lens and accessories included.

Posted · Report post

sony NEX-5.

incredibly compact DSLR with detachable lenses and an expanding range of available lens options. best $500 i've ever spent.

Posted · Report post

This is a nice little buy:

red_3dscarlet.jpg

Posted · Report post

sony NEX-5.

incredibly compact DSLR with detachable lenses and an expanding range of available lens options. best $500 i've ever spent.

You don't think I should get a Nikon? Everyone I talk to tells me if I want to take this serious I need to get a Nikon. Also how is video quality?

Posted · Report post

I second PhillyB 's suggestion. I have the NEX3 and it has been great. I use a 16mm lense and can fit the camera in my pocket.

I have used it for some great HDR photography.

And I say this as a person who hates the SONY company as a whole.

The flash would be the only con to the camera for most people. (Though I like the flash personally).

Posted · Report post

I second PhillyB 's suggestion. I have the NEX3 and it has been great. I use a 16mm lense and can fit the camera in my pocket.

I have used it for some great HDR photography.

And I say this as a person who hates the SONY company as a whole.

The flash would be the only con to the camera for most people. (Though I like the flash personally).

Any sample photo or video you've taken personally?

Posted · Report post

Nothing posted online no. And in terms of video, I don't know how good the NEX is. I have used it, but I am clueless as to what makes a good video taking camera.

Oh, the other thing., because the NEX has such a large sensor, you can get away without a flash much often than you would with any other point and shoot camera. I have managed night shots without a flash or tripod.

Posted · Report post

Nothing posted online no. And in terms of video, I don't know how good the NEX is. I have used it, but I am clueless as to what makes a good video taking camera.

Oh, the other thing., because the NEX has such a large sensor, you can get away without a flash much often than you would with any other point and shoot camera. I have managed night shots without a flash or tripod.

The video is a very important part of this purchase. Most of it's use will be video. Thanks for the input though.

Posted · Report post

LaotianCat.jpg

LuangPrabangFlowers.jpg

LaoFoodMarket.jpg

MekongBoat.jpg

Posted · Report post

VangViengbyBike.jpg

OutsideAngkor.jpg

KhmerRougeSkulls.jpg

Journal.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

FlowerontheBeach.jpg

FijiSunset.jpg

FijiPalms.jpg

CrossingtheMekong.jpg

Posted · Report post

Great quality! However I'm leaning towards the Nikon D5100 now due to it's superior video.