32 replies to this topic

#1 Carolina Mike

Carolina Mike

It's a Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I know many want to see Ron Rivera fired after just 2 years. For those that are interested I put a little something together. When hiring a first time Head Coach it should be understanding they will make some mistakes (clock management, relationship with Assistant Coaches....ect). 1 & a half years does not make a 1st time Super Bowl Head Coach normally. One day we might look back on these two seasons and realize it was the start of something special. The again maybe not only time will tell.

Coach A:
1st year: 1-15 (worst year) This new Head Coach wanted to trade his #1 WR (this WR is in the HOF now) but an owner from another team called the current owner telling him "You sure you want to do that? Who is going to catch passes for you?" So this HC decided to trade away the #1 RB. At the time the Fans & media went crazy in a negative way.
2nd year: 7-9 It was an improvement however the Fans thought this HC was not going to make it.
Ended his Coaching Career with 9 years at a 80-64 record. 6 years in the playoffs. 2 Super Bowl wins.

Coach B:
1st year: 6-10
In this city the honeymoon never lasts long and the calls for a new head coach began after one season.
2nd year: 7-9
3rd year: 7-9 High expectations this year and the Fans went crazy that they did not do as good as expected. There was calls for this Head Coach to be fired!
Worst year: 5-11 (twice)
Coaching Career with 17 years at a 175-97 record. 10 years in the playoffs. 2 Super Bowl loses. 2 Super Bowl wins.

Coach C:
1st year: 2-14 (worst year)
2nd year: 6-10 Fans at this point saw progress but the talk was not that he would take this team very far in the long run.
3rd year: 13-3
4th year: 3-6 (strike season)
Ended his Coaching Career with 10 years at a 92-59 record. 7 years in the playoffs. 3 Super Bowl wins.

Coach D:
1st year: 6-10 (worst year so far)
2nd year: 2-6
Coaching Career with 1 & a half years at a 8-16 record.

Now I know this is a small sample and is not saying Ron will be a Super Bowl winning Head Coach. I just thought we should not be those fans that overreact each and every week but look at the long road sometimes. Each team that has ever been lead into a Super Bowl season run did not start out already in the Super Bowl, they had to work their way up from the bottom at one point.

Anyone know the Coaches without having to look them up?

#2 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

What disturbs me about Rivera is his unbelievable ability to find ways to lose close games and games where he leads in the 4th quarter. I mean, you gotta win at least half of those types of games and we lose damn near all of them.

#3 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

B has to be Belichik. C - Bill Walsh. I'd say Billick for A, but he only won 1 SB so not sure.

D is obviously RR.

I just went by SB records

#4 Carolina Mike

Carolina Mike

It's a Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

What disturbs me about Rivera is his unbelievable ability to find ways to lose close games and games where he leads in the 4th quarter. I mean, you gotta win at least half of those types of games and we lose damn near all of them.

I agree & understand this point however it makes me wonder how many 1st time HC go through this very same issue. Off the top of my head I can remember a segment I had seen on Pete Carroll talking about his first go-a-round saying for the most part......

It was a learning experience for him too. He had made some pretty bad decisions his first time and thought he was better for it now. Grant it I don't think he is a great HC just thought his words probably apply to all first time coaches.

#5 DOMOMAN

DOMOMAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Has to be Jimmy Johnson for A

#6 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

A is Jimmy Johnson, Im watching his football life right now. One thing that helped Jimmy was that Herschel trade, without it, as great as a coach he was, he wouldnt've had the horses to get it done.

#7 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Sweet! I love threads with confirmation bias!

#8 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Sweet! I love threads with confirmation bias!

More than you love penis???

#9 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi everyone this is La Pantera's Mother, btw

#10 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi everyone this is La Pantera's Mother, btw

Hi mom! Get your ass back on that corner and make my money! Trick!

#11 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Let's hire Rae Carruth as HC once he gets out of jail.

#12 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi mom! Get your ass back on that corner and make my money! Trick!

Don't make me walk down to the basement and embarrass you in front of your internet friends

#13 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Don't make me walk down to the basement and embarrass you in front of your internet friends

Long as you got my money, ya old bitch! And bring me a sandwich, ho!

#14 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

(and resurrected)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Apologies for the retarded outbursts

The part of La Pantera without Down's ran down my leg

The internet is the only place where he can release his pent up energy

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,337 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I agree. But we made this same argument for why Jimmy Clausen might be a great quarterback someday and why we needed to give Armanti another chance.

There are people out there who are way better at evaluating coaching talent than we are. Sometimes a coach with huge potential needs time. Sometimes a bad coach is just bad.

Rivera looks like a pretty bad coach so far but who knows. Maybe we are on our way to glory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com