Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kentucky Down to 15

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Exactly. There are a ton of students who would love to have the free rides these guys get. The ones who sit on the end of the bench really shouldn't bitch. Now if it's a guy who has worked his ass off to come back from an injury or something like that, then I agree...shame on the coach. But not in this situation.

If the guy(s) thats losing his scholarship has worked hard and stayed in good academic standing, then he does have the right to bitch. When he accepted that scholarship from them there was the understanding that as long as he worked hard on the court and remained in good academic standing that his scholarship would be renewed.

Had he known that if the school was going to give his scholarship to someone with more talent even if he was still doing everything he was suppose to, then he probably would've never accepted the scholarship to begin with.

So waiver wires are OK for anybody but UNC? You guys have ragged Butch Davis from the start about some of the players he's ditched, all the while ignoring the same situations at your school.

For once I'm going to have to agree with Htar on something. This is the same thing that people have been talking about concerning Butch Davis and UNC football.

Posted · Report post

If the guy(s) thats losing his scholarship has worked hard and stayed in good academic standing, then he does have the right to bitch. When he accepted that scholarship from them there was the understanding that as long as he worked hard on the court and remained in good academic standing that his scholarship would be renewed.

Had he known that if the school was going to give his scholarship to someone with more talent even if he was still doing everything he was suppose to, then he probably would've never accepted the scholarship to begin with.

For once I'm going to have to agree with Htar on something. This is the same thing that people have been talking about concerning Butch Davis and UNC football.

When coaches and ADs jobs hang in the balance you don't hesitate to make your team better. I'm not saying that you have to force a kid out without any options. Sidney did something to the same effect last year when he told Marquez Johnson that he was not going to see much playing time during the 09 season. He found a new school for him at Georgia Southern and now Marquez is playing down there.

As long as the coach doesn't just say "ok you're cut" and that is the end of it I have no problem with trying to make a team better. Cal should (and probably will) help those kids he "cut" to find a different place to play. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the guys are pretty realistic and if they have seen minimal minutes in the years they have been there (possibly due to injuries) they understand their time could be limited. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis...its not written in stone that once you sign on, you are there for 4 years.

Posted · Report post

When coaches and ADs jobs hang in the balance you don't hesitate to make your team better. I'm not saying that you have to force a kid out without any options. Sidney did something to the same effect last year when he told Marquez Johnson that he was not going to see much playing time during the 09 season. He found a new school for him at Georgia Southern and now Marquez is playing down there.

As long as the coach doesn't just say "ok you're cut" and that is the end of it I have no problem with trying to make a team better. Cal should (and probably will) help those kids he "cut" to find a different place to play. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, the guys are pretty realistic and if they have seen minimal minutes in the years they have been there (possibly due to injuries) they understand their time could be limited. Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis...its not written in stone that once you sign on, you are there for 4 years.

OK, I can agree with you that if the coach goes out and helps find the player another school then it's not too bad.

But the only thing I want to add is that while its not written in stone that you will be there for 4 years, I would imagine that it's pretty much assumed that as long as you do everything that you're suppose to that you're scholarship will be renewed.

And if you start to not renew a lot of scholarships I could see it start to hurt your recruiting. Athletes will see that if they aren't one of the best 6 or 7 players that they will have to worry about whether they will be allowed to come back or not.

At least that's something I would look at and consider if I were a recruit anyways.

Posted · Report post

When you have a chance to get the #1 recruiting class in the nation, you have to make that choice and do what you've got to do. I agree that if you do that a lot, it could hurt your recruiting, but sometimes you gotta pull the pin and toss the grenade. I'm a little disconcerted that Cal was out of town when it happened, but that's just how it goes, probably didn't want to be available for questions, especially in light of what happened the next day at his old school...