• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Dalton has more picks than Cam...he gets bailed out often on horrific throws that go to a real top 3 WR.

In this scheme, he would take more sacks than Cam and throw more picks

Yeah, I know. Dalton would be dead or hospitalized by now if he played here.

I was trying to reinforce the whole "context" thing.

#62 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Can we just scrap the entire play book, start treating cam like a pro QB and run an under center offense?

...this

Okay I'm not with you for 90 percent of what you posted this thread but this, this actually makes sense.

#63 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,339 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

He very very easily could have thrown them under the bus. Cutler would have, no question.

Good leader.

So would Peyton Mannning.

#64 Shonuff

Shonuff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

people keep wanting to blame the read option....it'll be refreshing when people realize that most of the read option they think they see now is simply him in the shotgun formation with a back in for protection.

Which is why it doesn't work! Cam is not Brady and never will be....hell, nobody is. Put him under center 3/4 of the game...run the damn ball using a RB regardless. When the O had two dependable tight ends, this was ok, Cam could always find one....but WR go deep, takes too long, especially against that type of D....they blanked the WR and by that time, Cam was done. If you think the early TD drive did not work for a reason, I can't help you.....As I said, as soon as I saw them go to the shotgun read crap that early....I started flipping channels from game to game....waiting on the Cam sacks, his confidence go to hell.....

#65 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

honestly!! I wish I had all the numbers. I do know that the 1st drive was under center the whole time and went 6 for 6 82 yards and a TD. The plays were quick. Cam moved around made impressive throws. He constantly read his progression properly and found the guy that is open in nearly every offense most of the time meaning the TE.

Then comes the Shotgun. Mind you I appreciate the spread passing attack. I think Brady, Peyton and Aaron proved it can work. However none of them rely only on plays that dont develop until the reciever gets15 yards down the field!

Every bad game we have had comes down to horrible offensive decisions with play calling.

#66 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,392 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Half way through last year ESPN broke down Cam under center vs shotgun.......better under center

#67 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

honestly!! I wish I had all the numbers. I do know that the 1st drive was under center the whole time and went 6 for 6 82 yards and a TD.

the touchdown was the second drive, and his first pass to olsen on that drive was from the shotgun.

if you're refering to his first 6 completions to start the game, it was 3 shotgun and 3 under center.

#68 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,413 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Most of the time the ball was out within 2 seconds.

He took much less time than Cam had.

a lot of the problem is we keep on looking for the big play.

another thing that chud seems to have noticed that we did better than most and so that automatically means we've found our niche thus we MUST keep doing it over and over.

he gets stuck in these frustrating ruts based on successes we've had running different things.

variety and the ability to adapt will always be key. this week we needed to adapt by getting the ball out quick...slants, screens, and throws to olsen and tolbert (since he figured out how to hold on to the ball today).

when your Oline is getting torn apart and your QB is getting slammed youve got to be getting the ball out quick. screw the big play. it takes too long to develop. get the ball to the open man as soon as possible.

it's on chud to call and on cam to take the initiative and just let loose the ball. guys were open quick, albeit with small windows. he doesn't need to be a star. he just needs to be effective.

#69 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

I agree with zod. New playbook. I sure do miss the two te sets we ran last year. Shockey, are you still out there? It's just frustrating watching this offense at times. Have we even had a rb on our team eclipse 100 yards this year? We have the talent but this scheme is not working .

#70 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

a lot of the problem is we keep on looking for the big play.

another thing that chud seems to have noticed that we did better than most and so that automatically means we've found our niche thus we MUST keep doing it over and over.

he gets stuck in these frustrating ruts based on successes we've had running different things.

variety and the ability to adapt will always be key. this week we needed to adapt by getting the ball out quick...slants, screens, and throws to olsen and tolbert (since he figured out how to hold on to the ball today).

when your Oline is getting torn apart and your QB is getting slammed youve got to be getting the ball out quick. screw the big play. it takes too long to develop. get the ball to the open man as soon as possible.

it's on chud to call and on cam to take the initiative and just let loose the ball. guys were open quick, albeit with small windows. he doesn't need to be a star. he just needs to be effective.

Big plays are a staple of the Coryell.

That said, when we lost two starting Uglies in 2006, Henning switched things up and called the majority of pass plays as quick short passes (WCO style).

I'd say that needs to happen this season too if we don't want Newton to wind up like another David Carr.

#71 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Big plays are a staple of the Coryell.

That said, when we lost two starting Uglies in 2006, Henning switched things up and called the majority of pass plays as quick short passes (WCO style).

I'd say that needs to happen this season too if we don't want Newton to wind up like another David Carr.

We really need to add a lot more short passes into the game.

But Cam also has to get a lot better at throwing those short passes in a big hurry if we do that. I haven't done any tremendous amount of research but the eyeball test just from watching games seems to say he struggles with the underneath / short routes.

#72 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

We really need to add a lot more short passes into the game.

But Cam also has to get a lot better at throwing those short passes in a big hurry if we do that. I haven't done any tremendous amount of research but the eyeball test just from watching games seems to say he struggles with the underneath / short routes.

That's the downside. Short passes are not his forte'.

With that said, I'll take forcing him to do something that's not his strength over getting him killed trying to do what is.

#73 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

That's the downside. Short passes are not his forte'.

With that said, I'll take forcing him to do something that's not his strength over getting him killed trying to do what is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm behind the idea. It just scares the hell out of me that what we have to do to protect him is force him to do something he doesn't do well right now. But these 5-7 step drops and long developing routes are clearly not going to work right now so meh.

Of course I'd like to see him spend a lot less time in the gun too.

#74 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,917 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Don't get me wrong - I'm behind the idea. It just scares the hell out of me that what we have to do to protect him is force him to do something he doesn't do well right now. But these 5-7 step drops and long developing routes are clearly not going to work right now so meh.

Of course I'd like to see him spend a lot less time in the gun too.

Same here.

For the sake of full disclosure, that particular adjustment didn't really help us win games in 06, but it probably kept Delhomme from getting hospitalized.

#75 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

If you sit in shotgun formation every play with no running back behind you. Chances are you aren't going to run play action. Not too hard to figure we are going to throw it. If Cam cannot take a snap from a center very well then maybe he needs to practice

As much as I loved Chudz offense last year. I hate it this year. Where the hell is Dan Henning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com