Photo
- - - - -

Nice Newton quote.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#85 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

don't need to get complicated or fancy. don't need to get 20 yards on a play (although if it happens, cool). just keep picking up 5-7 yards a play.

especially this.

taking what the defense gives you underneath will eventually open up a cushion for the recievers downfield since the DBs will start paying attention to the underneath routes to keep them from turning into big plays.

#86 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

so this site thinks jerry jones is a good owner now i guess

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

So would Peyton Mannning.

this is an understated issue.

at this point, manning is thought of as kind of the de facto elder statesman/consummate veteran/whatever but for a lot of his career he was labeled an overrated crybaby choker with an attitude who threw his teammates under the bus by certain parties. most of that went away when the colts won their super bowl.

#87 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Some of you just haven't been paying attention. He takes blame after EVERY single loss. Only difference is, he has a fake poker face while doing it now because people bitch so hard about it. Doesn't make me feel any better. A loss is a loss, nothing he says matters to me.

#88 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

There were lots of open receivers today well within 3 seconds. Cam is very slow in his progressions, needs faster decision making.

A three step drop would be nice. Tired of 5-7 step drops.

I agree with you Jeremy. He is taking way too long making his reads and progressions.

I hope this will improve, but it is a huge issue right now.

#89 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

this is an understated issue.

at this point, manning is thought of as kind of the de facto elder statesman/consummate veteran/whatever but for a lot of his career he was labeled an overrated crybaby choker with an attitude who threw his teammates under the bus by certain parties. most of that went away when the colts won their super bowl.

funny how winning has that effect eh

#90 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

we ned to quit this idea of being slaves to a system.

screw the coryelll. it's not going to work in games yesterday.

go with a simple spread using 4-5 receiver sets and go to the open man. use play action in single back sets (except in goal line/short yard situations) and have as a goal to get rid of the ball within a couple seonds. let cam take advantage of holes given by defenders and run.

don't need to get complicated or fancy. don't need to get 20 yards on a play (although if it happens, cool). just keep picking up 5-7 yards a play.

Spread formation and that many receivers out means you have to 1) depend on the OL to block without additional help and 2) depend on Newton to get the pass off quickly. Neither of those things is happening very often right now.

I'm all for going to a quick passing attack but I want to see it run out of a base set. I'd even be okay with max protect.

#91 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Spread formation and that many receivers out means you have to 1) depend on the OL to block without additional help and 2) depend on Newton to get the pass off quickly. Neither of those things is happening very often right now.

I'm all for going to a quick passing attack but I want to see it run out of a base set. I'd even be okay with max protect.

I'm not sure that Cam can hit those quick outs, slants, bubbles, etc. consistently.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you would think that the coaches know that we can't hit them time in and time out.

#92 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

it's one thing to say the right thing, another to actually believe it.

is he incapable or not just allowed to make presnap adjustments?

#93 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure that Cam can hit those quick outs, slants, bubbles, etc. consistently.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you would think that the coaches know that we can't hit them time in and time out.

He has trouble with it but it's a skill he will HAVE to develop to be routinely successful. What we're doing now is not working, obviously. If what we're doing now isn't working why not start focusing on it heavily in practice and make him do it...if only for the added benefit of shorter drop backs and less time getting David Carr'd.

It makes me nervous but it's not like it's going to COST us games...

#94 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

HUDDLER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Jake took the blame every week too. Means nothing when you take the fall. Means everything when you don't. Just the way it is.

#95 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

He has trouble with it but it's a skill he will HAVE to develop to be routinely successful. What we're doing now is not working, obviously. If what we're doing now isn't working why not start focusing on it heavily in practice and make him do it...if only for the added benefit of shorter drop backs and less time getting David Carr'd.

It makes me nervous but it's not like it's going to COST us games...

The issue here is that the coaches are still coaching for their jobs. If Cam can't hit those throws, they don't want to call the plays, because they don't want to continue to lose.

There is no reason for them to try to coach up Newton halfway through this season, there is a good chance they will not have jobs, next season.

#96 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

The issue here is that the coaches are still coaching for their jobs. If Cam can't hit those throws, they don't want to call the plays, because they don't want to continue to lose.

There is no reason for them to try to coach up Newton halfway through this season, there is a good chance they will not have jobs, next season.

You don't think that allowing their young developing first overall draft pick QB to get hammered because they won't try to adjust their gameplan to protect him, even if it's going to require some extra coaching / growing pains, is going to hurt their chances at keeping that job too? I mean...what they're doing right now isn't saving any jobs either and we know pretty well that it's not going to at this point. But what it is doing is putting Cam in harm's way with the constant 5-7 step drops with poor o-line play.