Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Portugeuse considered latino?

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here's my analysis. ...about Latino.

When somebody says "Latino" they're almost invariably talking about ones from South America, the West Indies. Okay, they speak Spanish, a Latin descendant language, but how is a 100% Italian not considered "latino"? Or why is it that some "race" boxes say "white, non hispanic" because a 100% white Spaniard is considered Latino?

attachment.php?attachmentid=30075&stc=1&d=1243457236

this is Latium, the cradle of Latin. It's not in South America, it's not even in Spain. It's in Italy, just south of Rome. Here is where Latin originated and if it wasn't for the expansion of the Roman Empire Latin would have never reached the Iberian peninsula and develop into Spanish or Portuguese.

So as far as who has the purest "Latin Blood", Latin Europeans (Portuguese, Italians, French, Spanish, Romanians) have plenty more than their South American counterparts, but Italians are by far the purest. Perhaps a more accurate description would be Mestizo for most of the "Latinos" who have mixed American Indian and European ancestry. For how many times I've heard a South American who looks pure Native American called "latino" moreso than an Italian or Sicilian like me, this is wrong. But it's just another example of Anglo-Saxon American misconception in the western world.

post-120-133194762623_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Then you would be incorrect.

:coolgleamA:

Hispania.jpg

Posted · Report post

Abe "Buenas" Fortas was obviously latino.

Posted · Report post

California has the first governor of Austrian descent.

Put another shrimp on the barbi!

Posted · Report post

From Random House dictionary.

Latino - a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent.

Posted · Report post

:coolgleamA:

Hispania.jpg

Is all your geographical terminology hundreds of years old?

Posted · Report post

I lu you Mi-hami!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

California has the first governor of Austrian descent.

Put another shrimp on the barbi!

U very clever Lound eye.

Posted · Report post

From Random House dictionary.

Latino - a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent.

^^^may be correct by "American" definition but certainly not through history before western colonization.

Posted · Report post

^^^may be correct by "American" definition but certainly not through history before western colonization.

I don't think there were latino's before Western colonization, especially if it only includes spanish speaking peoples in central and south america.

I imagine that before the West (Spain and Portugal) colonized central and south america, the people that lived there didn't call themselves latinos. :)

Posted · Report post

I know one thing. Latino food in Miami kicks ass. Empanadas and croquetas are the sh*t! Ropa vieja is unbelievably awesome. And don't get me started on Cuban coffee. Holy sh*t!!!

Posted · Report post

I know one thing. Latino food in Miami kicks ass. Empanadas and croquetas are the sh*t! Ropa vieja is unbelievably awesome. And don't get me started on Cuban coffee. Holy sh*t!!!

Cuban hole-in-the-walls in Hollywood are pretty dang good too. One in Tampa as well right off of Dale Mabry.