#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Let's say you're the Panthers head coach right now.

(insert joke here)

You see what everyone else sees. Specifically, that your star quarterback is getting killed behind a terrible offensive line right now. You remember what happened to David Carr in a similar situation, and you don't want to see your quarterback ruined like he was. It occurs to you that maybe the best thing you can do for him is to bench him, save him from the beating he's taking, let him learn from the sidelines for the remainder of this season and start fresh next year.

But then, reality sets in. Your job is on the line. In order to keep it, you need to win games. That means putting the guy who gives you the best chance to win on the field, and that's your starter.

What do you do?

#2 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

You go ahead and start packing because you're gonna be fired regardless.

#3 Password is Taco

Password is Taco

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

I would probably resign and go take a nice vacation somewhere.

#4 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationKitchen

(insert joke here)

You see what everyone else sees. Specifically, that your star quarterback is getting killed behind a terrible offensive line right now. You remember what happened to David Carr in a similar situation, and you don't want to see your quarterback ruined like he was. It occurs to you that maybe the best thing you can do for him is to bench him, save him from the beating he's taking, let him learn from the sidelines for the remainder of this season and start fresh next year.

But then, reality sets in. Your job is on the line. In order to keep it, you need to win games. That means putting the guy who gives you the best chance to win on the field, and that's your starter.

What do you do?

No good coach would bench his QB knowing that the same QB will be starting next year. Try again.

#5 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

(insert joke here)

What do you do?

You try to save your QB by getting the ball out of his hands quickly instead of calling a lot of slow developing routes / 5-7 step drops. You probably stop calling every play from the shotgun like it's superawesomeamazing. You definitely try to lean on a pro-style running game and throw the option right out of your playbook.

It will hurt (I said last night it scares me that it might be the thing to do because it's not Cam's strength) but I think you exhaust every last option before benching him...which would have its own set of potentially very bad consequences. I definitely can't see going from one extreme to the other when history shows us that there are alternatives in the middle that should work.

#6 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,591 posts

You are getting fired regardless, unless you are too dumb to realize. Also, benching him can do as much damage as leaving him in.

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,358 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

First thing I do is figure out why we can come out and run down the field 80 yards and score a TD, then we go 3-and-out on the next 8 offensive possessions? What Changed? What plays are not working (hint: read option and anything where Greg Olsen is blocking Von MIller)? Etc, etc...

The O line is not playing well, Cam is not playing well, either the receivers are not getting open, or our plays aren't developing fast enough to help the O line protect Cam.

Stop giving up on the run so fast... I'd have to go back and look at tape to see the plays called, but it sure seemed like we went awfully pass heavy really quickly.

#8 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,995 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted Image

#9 dpanther69

dpanther69

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Reel in my OC and have a game plan similiar to the second drive yesterday.

#10 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

You dump Chud now before he does any more damage to our offensive players, and you install a play action passing game with at least 60% of our plays run from under center. You also try for a mix of run/pass closer to 45/55.

#11 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

First thing I do, is read an NFL book on rules because I apparently dont know most of them.

#12 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Great QB's don't need to be "protected". You play him and hope he learns from it and makes him better.

#13 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

i would go to the OC and demand him to help out the entire offense. run more, throw quicker route combos.

#14 CLEARHOT

CLEARHOT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSomewhere In NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

You dump Chud now before he does any more damage to our offensive players, and you install a play action passing game with at least 60% of our plays run from under center. You also try for a mix of run/pass closer to 45/55.

And for pete's sake...ROLL OUT THE QB!!!!!

#15 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

You put your best chance to win QB in a position to win by not expecting him to pull miracles out of his ass and carry this team solely on his shoulders. He has the talent to succeed but not the coaching nor the game plan that fosters such.

Find a way to adjust intelligently during the game to what's coming at you, and don't exhibit an unwavering stubborn game-plan that refuses to adapt more than it devolves to the same weekly joke once that initial plan doesn't pan out.

Realize that almost every game we've won has had cam throwing 25 attempts or less.

For the love of god, get a new OC

Teach Cam how to audible instead of barring him from doing so. He won't grow if you don't take the training wheels off.

These are just a few things I think he could do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com